Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:29 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I guess we have the response: "But I don't like these facts."
It's seriously pathetic, isn't it?

If you show them crime is going down in a place they don't think it should be going down in, they'll either tell you:

1. The stats are being manipulated. This is stupid because even if they were, why were they not manipulated in the years when the numbers were higher? Even if they were manipulated down by 20% every year since the beginning of time, they'd STILL being going down. Or:
2. These are only REPORTED crimes. This is stupid, too, because it assumes people didn't not report crimes back in days of yore, which is a ridiculous notion, because there is an abundance of evidence lots of crimes didn't get reported in the 80's, 70's, 60's, etc. Furthermore, if we focus only on murders, how can those not be reported? If there's a dead body with bullet holes in it somewhere, eventually somebody is going to report it.

People who are coming up with these excuses are simply desperate to explain away things they don't believe should be happening. It's pretty sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 12:30 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Crime has fallen significantly in most urban areas over the past 20-30 years. The only people that don't know how to spot trends are fear mongers on the right who want to make people afraid of their own shadow.

It's fairly obvious this a parody thread of the ridiculous threads posted here daily by conservatives.
1. I have several of the far righties on ignore so that's your problem if they post garbage, not mine.
In fact, I just put one on ignore 2-3 days ago for starting a garbage thread about mars and global warming.

2. Statistical abuse or misuse is rampant on this forum, if someone wants to say "P.S. I'm intentionally being obtuse to make a point" then I'll be sure to not offer any sort of rebuttal....otherwise again sorry but no free pass for innumeracy.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:32 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I guess we have the response: "But I don't like these facts."
Prove that these are actual facts. There are a number of factors at play here. Same as like in EPA. 35 years ago the murder capital of the bay area was in EPA. Now hardly anyone gets murdered there. There are two reasons for that. 1) Most, if not all the thugs got pushed out because of the booming silicon valley since the late 90's and are now living/committing crimes elsewhere like in places around Sacramento where they can afford rent. 2) the local government and media doesn't report it. Note: That's why in San Francisco the police do not press certain charges against certain people who commit lot of crimes. If law enforcement is ordered or prevented by the local government not to pursue / press charges, there is then no documentation in support of the actual crime numbers. This is primarily why they don't pursue / press charges against specific groups of people committing specific types of crimes in specific geographical locations. They are keeping that information from being documented, thus projecting a false sense of safety and wellbeing.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It's seriously pathetic, isn't it?

If you show them crime is going down in a place they don't think it should be going down in, they'll either tell you:

1. The stats are being manipulated. This is stupid because even if they were, why were they not manipulated in the years when the numbers were higher? Even if they were manipulated down by 20% every year since the beginning of time, they'd STILL being going down. Or:
2. These are only REPORTED crimes. This is stupid, too, because it assumes people didn't not report crimes back in days of yore, which is a ridiculous notion, because there is an abundance of evidence lots of crimes didn't get reported in the 80's, 70's, 60's, etc. Furthermore, if we focus only on murders, how can those not be reported? If there's a dead body with bullet holes in it somewhere, eventually somebody is going to report it.

People who are coming up with these excuses are simply desperate to explain away things they don't believe should be happening. It's pretty sad.
I would note that the "seriously pathetic" guy actually did source his claim.

That would then put the honus on you to prove that it's always been going on.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Once again, these stats are from the LAPD.

If you think the stats are less accurate now than they were last year, or 20 years ago, PROVE IT. Otherwise, the only thing we can assume is that these stats have about the same accuracy as they did last year, and 20 years ago.
Quote:
Much is made on this forum what a supposed hellhole Los Angeles is.

But at the rate things are going there, LA might catch up to NYC in having low crime rates for such a big city.

Latest weekly stats from the LAPD:
http://assets.lapdonline.org/assets/pdf/cityprof.pdf

Year to date:
- Murder down -24.6% from both last year and 2017, over the same time period
- Total Rape down -40.4% from last year and -42.5% from 2017, over the same time period
- Robbery down -7.1% from last year and -4.8% from 2017, over the same time period
- Aggravated assault down -1.0% from last year and -0.7% from 2017, over the same time period

Total property crime is down -8.1% from last year and -10.8% from 2017, over the same time period.

It's still early in the year, but the trend is good.

And I note even the 2017 numbers were already considerably lower than what we saw in 2003, for the most part:
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

Old 04-10-2019, 01:02 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So... You don't deal in data, just in made up conspiracy that conveniently backs your personal bias? Small surprise you're a Trump supporter.
Prop 47

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...-consequences/

California’s Proposition 47 downgraded a variety of “non-serious, nonviolent crimes” that had previously been considered felonies to misdemeanors. These include shoplifting, grand theft, receiving stolen property, forgery, fraud, and writing bad checks. As long as the total value of the stolen property is under $950, only a ghost of an offense has occurred. A thief may now steal something under that limit on a daily basis and it will never rise to felony status.

In the event that a perpetrator is pursued and apprehended, the consequence can be a small fine or a brief stay in jail, In reality, these repercussions are rare. In addition, DNA samples aren’t collected from misdemeanor offenders. Thus the DNA database has shrunk, making it more difficult for law-enforcement agencies to solve cold cases, including those involving rape and murder.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Crime has fallen significantly in most urban areas over the past 20-30 years. The only people that don't know how to spot trends are fear mongers on the right who want to make people afraid of their own shadow.

It's fairly obvious this a parody thread of the ridiculous threads posted here daily by conservatives.
As a side note, I'm acutely aware that people have targeted parts of the country and have a strong bias driven by politics. (I used to live in Chicago and Kansas and they get it from either side of the partisan spectrum). California is obviously the recipient of the same bias.

I do note with at least some degree of humor that the OP themselves is not immune to having that same bias. Like the old saying goes, "we are least tolerant of the sins we commit"

Old 04-10-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Prop 47

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...-consequences/

California’s Proposition 47 downgraded a variety of “non-serious, nonviolent crimes” that had previously been considered felonies to misdemeanors. These include shoplifting, grand theft, receiving stolen property, forgery, fraud, and writing bad checks. As long as the total value of the stolen property is under $950, only a ghost of an offense has occurred. A thief may now steal something under that limit on a daily basis and it will never rise to felony status...
I know it's asking a lot of some people here, but it helps if you actually READ the provided information:
Quote:
Much is made on this forum what a supposed hellhole Los Angeles is.

But at the rate things are going there, LA might catch up to NYC in having low crime rates for such a big city.

Latest weekly stats from the LAPD:
http://assets.lapdonline.org/assets/pdf/cityprof.pdf

Year to date:
- Murder down -24.6% from both last year and 2017, over the same time period
- Total Rape down -40.4% from last year and -42.5% from 2017, over the same time period
- Robbery down -7.1% from last year and -4.8% from 2017, over the same time period
- Aggravated assault down -1.0% from last year and -0.7% from 2017, over the same time period

Total property crime is down -8.1% from last year and -10.8% from 2017, over the same time period.

It's still early in the year, but the trend is good.

And I note even the 2017 numbers were already considerably lower than what we saw in 2003, for the most part:
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html
Notice that none of the crimes listed in AngryTaxpayer's list are the same crimes I listed that are going down.

No, nobody is going to re-categorize murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault from a felony to a misdemeanor.

Some of you people are simply daft.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:11 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
I know it's asking a lot of some people here, but it helps if you actually READ the provided information:

Notice that none of the crimes listed in AngryTaxpayer's list are the same crimes I listed that are going down.

No, nobody is going to re-categorize murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault from a felony to a misdemeanor.

Some of you people are simply daft.
We're just a bunch of deplorables! Keep calling us names and see how it works out in 2020...

Old 04-10-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
We're just a bunch of deplorables! Keep calling us names and see how it works out in 2020...
If there is anyone to whom reading definitions and looking at numbers is over their head, then yes, they deserve to be called deplorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies