Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 02:07 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

I don't see anywhere in the bill where it bans the IRS from creating its own free file system forever, besides the other programs are still free for 70% of taxpayers. I don't understand the problem.

H.R.1957 - Taxpayer First Act of 2019

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...D063E2B33D6AD6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 03:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
If you ever wondered why we need campaign finance reform....

Here is the problem, they will label it campaign finance reform and it will screw everyone even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHxSW52Hmc

Quote:
Gutting the IRS: Congress to Ban Free Online Tax Filing
The companies would be required to provide free filing under 66K.

Quote:
The congressional move would codify the status quo. Under an existing memorandum of understanding with the industry group, the IRS pledges not to create its own online filing system and, in exchange, the companies offer their free filing services to those below the income threshold.
There is nothing free about the government doing it. That said kill this issue with a sledgehammer and simplify the tax code.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
How would who find jobs? The people in the tax preparation industry? It's a predatory leach industry, much like real estate and lawyering. Let them find honest work.
Yes. Though I would argue they already do honest work already.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:18 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here is the problem, they will label it campaign finance reform and it will screw everyone even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHxSW52Hmc

The companies would be required to provide free filing under 66K.

There is nothing free about the government doing it. That said kill this issue with a sledgehammer and simplify the tax code.
That is the interpretation of ProPublica, I don't see anything in the bill banning the IRS from setting up its own free file. No one is forcing people to use free file, no one forcing anyone above the threshold from using TurboTax. I don't see the problem, if you don't like the online services then use paper.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:29 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Why on earth would anyone want the government to take on the responsibility of creating and managing a tax filing computer program? It will cost billions to create and it won't work in the end. Plenty of free programs out there and unless you have ridiculously difficult tax situations then no reason not to use even the small fee ones if you are above the free threshold.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:52 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Wait till the IRS releases the new W4. It appears they want to make it so complicated people will be seeking help from accountants just to do that.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ar/3401811002/

Old 04-09-2019, 06:03 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default Not Surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
If you ever wondered why we need campaign finance reform in the form of the anti-corruption bill (blocked by the GOP), here's yet another example of elected officials choosing corporate interests over the people's needs.

Gutting the IRS: Congress to Ban Free Online Tax Filing

When I used TaxAct it said I owed $683 then the next screen said $600,000.

Why doesn't the IRS develop a calculator that a taxpayer can use online to do your taxes.

You can be sure the IRS agents have computer calculation as well as every tax "service" in America.

I don't want to be forced to spend $300 for H&R Block to calculate my taxes.

The IRS Forms are generally difficult if not impossible to understand. They could be written alot better but they are not.

Does the IRS benefit from your mistakes in favor of them? Hmmm. I wonder.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:21 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It doesn't sound to me like they are saying, "No more free filing" anywhere, they are saying that the IRS cannot create its own "free filing" system. The for profit places will still offer free filing for those who make under a certain amount. In addition, you can find many other free filing places that are not TurboTax or H&R block. Those places also do not charge you to file electronically like TurboTax and H&RBlock do. Yeah, you can do your taxes on TurboTax or H&RBlock for "free", but you would then have to print it out and mail it in, or you have to pay to do it electronically. Other places allow you to do your taxes and file for free who are not TurboTax, H&RBlock, or the IRS.
Turbo Tax has a completely "Free" filing option - 37,601 reviews, 5 star rating

TurboTax Free Edition
Simple tax returns
Free federal taxes and state taxes

Personally -- I never file online and don't plan to do so in the future.
Having all our info stolen from Office of Personnel Management and our Social Security number sold or given to illegal aliens cured us of ever thinking about attaching our Bank Account numbers to the IRS.
I write a paper check every single year and then put that paper check in a paper envelope with my many pages of Tax Returns and mail the sucker to the IRS office in Austin, TX.
I usually wait until April 14 to mail it, but we will be out of town then - so mailed it today.

About a $2,000 savings this year over last year.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:46 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That is the interpretation of ProPublica, I don't see anything in the bill banning the IRS from setting up its own free file. No one is forcing people to use free file, no one forcing anyone above the threshold from using TurboTax. I don't see the problem, if you don't like the online services then use paper.

Actually, the instructions to complete just one IRS form, the 1040 instructions have 116 numbered pages. So yeah, its hard. Everyone, including IRS agents, use computer calculation except the poor taxpayers.

Under the Table of Contents on page 2, "When and Where to file" are stated to be on page 9. Not true.

Looking at page 9 and 10, nowhere on those pages does it say explicitly that a paper return can be filed or where that paper return is to be filed. The instructions under that heading push "e-filing" and then state that if you mail it (so I guess its allowing paper filing without coming right out and saying it) the addresses to send it are "at the end of these instructions."

Does the IRS mean the addresses of the three private delivery for-profit companies (FEDX, DHS, DHL) mentioned at the end of this section? Maybe. That is a costly alternative.

Oh, I see. On what would be page 120 on the INSTRUCTIONS to FORM 1040, if it were numbered, is filing instructions, postal info., and IRS addresses.

Is your head spinning right now? Mine is.

So if I were grading this IRS manual, I think a D+ would be generous.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I have used Free Tax USA. They are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies