Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 08:06 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Normally not, but I believe the woman in question lives in an area with an outbreak. So in that case, the unvaccinated have a greater chance than normal of being infected with whatever is currently going around. In most places and most of the time, the thing that's "going around" is generally a cold or, during the winter, the flu. I kept my son mostly at home the first couple of months because he was born during flu season. (I was never offered a flu shot during my pregnancies, so I'm thinking that wasn't common in the early years of this century.) If we lived in a place where there was a measles outbreak, of course I'd keep my newborn out of public areas.

I’m pretty sure there’s one case in the state where UNC’s daughter lives if I’m remembering correctly.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
She can also bring home the flu, strep, norovirus, etc. The list goes on. It’s not a crazy point.

Cocooning seems like a good idea in theory and it doesn’t seem harmful but does it really work?
https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gro...cough-newborns
Elaborate on "bring home". Flu, for starts, is vaccine preventable to an extent. Yes, mom could be exposed. But presuming Mom is vaccinated, and got that vaccine during pregnancy, both she and baby have some antibodies and a trip to the bank is unlikely to cause disease.

How is a mom going to "bring home" strep? Strep is pretty hard to catch just being out in public, which is how I interpreted the statement. Now if the mom went out to lunch with friends, one of whom had untreated strep, and particularly if they shared drinks, that's a greater possibility that the mom would get it. Mom can certainly decrease her chances of spreading anything she's picked up by good handwashing and possibly changing her clothes.

Norovirus? Noro is a nasty fecal-orally spread disease, again unlikely to pick up in public such as a trip to the mall unless you had some food at the food court that was prepared by someone with norovirus. Yes, it happens. Noro is also one of those diseases where good handwashing really is effective.

Etc? Maybe you could explain what etc you are talking about.

newtovenice is saying there is no way to protect oneself and one's baby which is untrue. While all these methods are imperfect, they do offer a degree of protection. Compare that to prancing into a NICU without being vaccinated for pertussis!

Your link refers to pertussis.
"Even if post-birth vaccinations don’t protect babies that well, vaccinating parents, grandparents and other people who snuggle babies is “certainly not a harmful thing or a bad thing,” Klein points out. Anything that may curb the spread of whooping cough is actually a very, very good thing, both for the person getting vaccinated and all of us in the herd.

Still, it seems that the cocoon strategy pales in comparison to the protection offered by vaccination during pregnancy, an approach that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends."

We've known for some time that "cocooning" alone isn't the most effective strategy for preventing pertussis in infants. This article seems a bit behind the times. Cocooning has been expanded in the US to include getting the mom vaccinated during pregnancy, for her own and her baby's benefit.
https://www.aap.org/en-us/Documents/..._pertussis.pdf

Old 04-12-2019, 08:09 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
NewtoVenice also said:

“I predict as he grows up will have tremendous health problems as his immune system has never been allowed to develop. She's is doing a horrible disservice to her child.

She has the best of intentions, but this is not a good strategy.”

She believes that being cautious about VPDs during birth to 6 months is not a good strategy. Forgive me if I’m skeptical about your insistence on what she would or would not do.
I don’t agree with newtovenice on those points but was responding to those who were acting like she was suggesting that mom would bring illness home on her clothing. Sometimes the conversation goes off the rails.

I too was cautious with my newborn who was born during flu season. I totally get where your daughter is coming from and respect her in doing whatever she feels is best. She’s the mom and she gets to decide. End of story.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Your statement, "Everytime SHE leaves the house without him? She can bring something back" relates to none of the above statements. The vaccinated mom is unlikely to bring back any VPD and give it to her kid(s). Contrary to what a lot of people believe, you don't bring a lot of disease back on your clothes, and if you're really concerned about that, you can change when you get home.

That mom (to be, I believe at this point) has a good plan.
If no one ever brings sickness home, why do we need doctors?

Since no one is ever sick. Or transmits disease to others.

I'll let the immunocompromised know that they can go out in public, no problems. Since their chance of getting sick is zero.

Oh, and the pharma companies, too. They can stop manufacturing antibiotics. Since transmission of any sickness never happens when people leave the house and come back.

The hypocrisy, cherry-picking, mental gymnastics, and outright moving of the goalpost ... they've been moved so many times they've been round the world 100x already -- its just mindblowing.

Care to comment on that govt doc I posted that proved measles vaccines has KILLED people?

Nope not a peep. I guess HRSA, CDC, and NVIC aren't 'official' enough sources?

Old 04-12-2019, 08:16 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don’t agree with newtovenice on those points but was responding to those who were acting like she was suggesting that mom would bring illness home on her clothing. Sometimes the conversation goes off the rails.

I too was cautious with my newborn who was born during flu season. I totally get where your daughter is coming from and respect her in doing whatever she feels is best. She’s the mom and she gets to decide. End of story.
Thank you. All moms get to choose and I too respect their choices.

This daughter was also born during flu season and visitors enjoyed seeing her... from across the room. My first was born in a non flu season month, but ended up hospitalized with dehydration from the stomach flu at 6 weeks. She got it from me. And I was exclusively breastfeeding. I sure wasn’t taking any chances of going through something like that again!

Old 04-12-2019, 08:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Because I'm pretty sure the poster will next say that mom can catch the measles or pertussis and bring them home, I'll point out that the mom has been vaccinated against these diseases and it would be extremely unlikely that she would contract them. She's vaccinated to create a barrier of immunity around her baby, which is basically the point of herd immunity.
Don't know why you're lecturing about this to me. That is what I have been trying to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
NewtoVenice also said:

“I predict as he grows up will have tremendous health problems as his immune system has never been allowed to develop. She's is doing a horrible disservice to her child.

She has the best of intentions, but this is not a good strategy.”

She believes that being cautious about VPDs during birth to 6 months is not a good strategy. Forgive me if I’m skeptical about your insistence on what she would or would not do.
That shows a total lack of understanding of how the immune system works. The immune system of a healthy individual knows what to do when exposed to an antigen, either from vaccines or otherwise. It has no more need to be "taught" than your circulatory system needs to be taught how to circulate blood throughout your body.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:24 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

I'll let the immunocompromised know that they can go out in public, no problems. Since their chance of getting sick is zero.

Oh, and the pharma companies, too. They can stop manufacturing antibiotics. Since transmission of any sickness never happens when people leave the house and come back.

The hypocrisy, cherry-picking, mental gymnastics, and outright moving of the goalpost ... they've been moved so many times they've been round the world 100x already -- its just mindblowing.

Care to comment on that govt doc I posted that proved measles vaccines has KILLED people?

No one suggested babies and kids and adults don’t get sick. Not sure where you got that.

My daughter is aware her son will get sick with lots of things. She’s just going to do her best to make sure it’s not with a VPD and especially when he’s most vulnerable to a poor outcome. And that means limiting contact as best she can with unvaccinated people during the first 6 months of his life. That also means avoiding places with measles outbreaks.

Contrary to your opinion, this will not set him up for an unhealthy life due to a “undeveloped” immune system.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:25 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

You have an oddly belligerent posting style. Every post is full of sarcasm and irrational rants... I assume you're of at least average intelligence and that you don't have reading comprehension issues, so I guess this writing style is a choice?

Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Breaking at the time of this post. I am looking for confirmation to link. I disagree with mandatory vaccinations for a relatively benign disease.
Measles is not necessarily a benign desease, especially in adults. If it can be prevented with a shot, why not?

• FACT: Measles can be prevented with a safe and effective vaccine.
  • FACT: The risk of death from measles is higher for adults and infants than for children.
  • FACT: During the first five months of 2011, 45 percent of US measles cases were in adults age 20 years and older.
  • FACT: Pregnant women who get measles have an increased risk for early labor, miscarriage, and low birth weight infants.
  • FACT: Measles is contagious from four days before until four days after the rash appears.
  • FACT: Measles can cause life-threatening pneumonia and brain inflammation, middle-ear infection, severe diarrhea, and sometimes death.
  • FACT: US outbreaks of measles in 2008 and 2011 primarily affected those who were not vaccinated with MMR (measles-mumps-rubella) vaccine.
  • FACT: Most cases of measles in the US result from infections acquired in other countries or are linked to imported cases.
  • FACT: Globally, measles continues to be endemic, resulting in 164,000 deaths each year.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:48 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
It seems pointless to argue against people who are ignorant about vaccines, their position is deeply and emotionally pathological. But it is important to keep citing the facts so that other rational people have a clear understanding of how crucial vaccination is to the population's health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies