Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,809,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'm a Chinese American. California native, lived in NYC in the past.

Look, restaurant food in general isn't made to be healthy - and that's applicable to a lot of cuisines and eateries of all sorts. A lot of Chinese restaurant (especially takeout) food (which is a part of the NYC culture) is generally salt, sugar and oil laden because it tastes good and it's relatively cheap. It has little resemblence to what most Chinese folks eat at home.

I don't have any problem with her opening this shop. Let the market decide. Unfortunately she kind of stepped into a ****storm with her marketing efforts.

i will you one further, the "chinese food" we eat in this country is mostly of american design to begin with. meaning it was created in this country, in san francisco in the china town district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 12:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,613,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I’m Italian and I’m offended by vegetarian pizza.
Then don't be stupid enough to eat any.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,613,440 times
I simply equate clean food with a clean kitchen and clean waiters, so you shouldn't need to vomit after eating.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,745,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I simply equate clean food with a clean kitchen and clean waiters, so you shouldn't need to vomit after eating.
That's bulimic insensitive!

Old 04-10-2019, 01:46 PM

5,975 posts, read 2,230,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I'm going to NYC this summer. Will try to check it out. Less 'heavy' Chinese food sounds good to me. Regardless, not sure what the outrage is about. I think people have become too sensitive.
It won’t be any good. There is a reason actual Chinese people (talking 1st gen here) don’t go to American Chinese restaurants outside of a select few. Because t ain’t Chinese food, it’s American food. No one in China has heard of a General Tso chicken or Orange chicken. No one in China orders a quart of meat and no roc or vegetable, American’s do.

I think her resturant will fail not because of SJW but because Americans like the over salted and sweet sauces in American Chinese food. Hell I think it’s much better with MSG. Also we don’t like paying a lot for Chinese food, it’s sit down fast food really.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:10 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,396,229 times
Like race relations in this country is/are not bad enough already.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,256,351 times
OH gawd, "clean eating" means something completely different to affluent white people. It doesn't mean "Chinese food is dirty."

Basically to "clean eating" freaks, MOST food is "dirty."

Old 04-10-2019, 02:33 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,344,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i will you one further, the "chinese food" we eat in this country is mostly of american design to begin with. meaning it was created in this country, in san francisco in the china town district.
Yup.

There are places in NYC (and other metro areas like SF, LA) which have pretty authentic Chinese regional cuisines. This particular one (and most carryouts in NYC) are Americanized.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:10 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,182,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
It won’t be any good. There is a reason actual Chinese people (talking 1st gen here) don’t go to American Chinese restaurants outside of a select few. Because t ain’t Chinese food, it’s American food. No one in China has heard of a General Tso chicken or Orange chicken. No one in China orders a quart of meat and no roc or vegetable, American’s do.

I think her resturant will fail not because of SJW but because Americans like the over salted and sweet sauces in American Chinese food. Hell I think it’s much better with MSG. Also we don’t like paying a lot for Chinese food, it’s sit down fast food really.
I understand that the majority of Chinese restaurants cater to the American diet and are not "authentic" Chinese food. Yes, it is essentially fast food. I live in an area with a high Chinese and Chinese-American population. I've had the real stuff at local restaurants where nothing is in English. It's very good. To me, I was reading the restaurant in NYC as being more real and "clean." As in, not full of fat, salt, and yes, stuff like Orange Chicken. I haven't seen the menu so this is all conjecture.

She's taking a risk. The margins are slim in this business so I wish her luck.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:12 PM

27,117 posts, read 13,413,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

I totally agree, what we eat in the west is often very different to actual chinese or other cusine, so there's no reason for all this nonsense.

Then again SJW's need something to complain about and to bravely attack on mass using twitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies