Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 07:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If women were empowered, they wouldn't be having unplanned pregnancies in the first place.
This is a red herring and you know this. As others have shown a good chunk of women are using some sort of birth control when they conceive. The problem I see is that experts in sex say that you should use not just one form of contraception. For instance a woman should be on the pill or the five year shot and still use a condom as a fail safe. No idea if these women only used one, but I'm guessing they did since it is rather easy to do that.

Quote:
Please explain why I should pay for an abortion for a woman who got pregnant whilst having an affair and doesn't want her husband or boyfriend to find out.
You do realize that even if Planned Parenthood is no longer a government funded corporation or replaced with market solution, your insurance would pay for someone who uses abortion for that straw argument, right?

Quote:
That's knee-jerk nonsense not founded in reality.
It may seem like hyperbole but it is just that. It happened during the pre-Roe V. Wade era. And sadly many Pro-life people want us to overturn Roe V. Wade and go back to back alley abortions which will include sterilization and even death for women seeking one. #NotAStrawman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Foster care is a separate issue, and most kids in foster care have parents. Are you advocating getting permisson from the parents and killing all kids in foster care? Since you believe that they should not be alive?

Ask ANY couple who is trying to adopt a newborn how *easy* it is. Yah. Right.

I have friends that tried for years to adopt babies. They ended up getting one from China and one from Columbia. Couldn't adopt a baby in the US. There aren't any BABIES up for adoption. I have friends that tried for years to adopt kids out of foster care. It took them YEARS to finalize the adoptions.

PP does 332,000 abortions a year.
Adoption referrals? 9,000.

Right, SO MANY unadopted babies just filling orphanages everywhere. Good grief. The fact that you are making these statements proves you have no knowledge on these topics. Facts, go get some.
How about you go get some business of your own and mind it.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
My opinions are often backed up with factual links from reputable sources, which I have done in this thread. Others just spout ignorant and sometimes incomprehensible vitriol, which is their right, of course -- but it doesn't mean that people must or should give any credence to what they say (just as people have the right to disagree with me, also).

Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
All these states pulling this crap are trying to force a Roe v Wade challenge, obviously.

Why they cannot stay out of other people's medical affairs is beyond me.

Pregnancy is a medical condition. Until a fetus is viable outside the womb, it's is part of a woman's medical condition.

And, some stranger killing a woman and her unborn fetus really is not the same as a woman making a medical decision to terminate a pregnancy.

I mean, that equivalency (and I see it tossed around in here pretty often) is tantamount to saying "why's it a crime when a stranger damages my property but not a crime when I do?"

Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Oh, is this not a public forum?

Right. [insert smiley snarky emoji to show everyone else how super duper clever and smart I think I am]

Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
All these states pulling this crap are trying to force a Roe v Wade challenge, obviously.

Why they cannot stay out of other people's medical affairs is beyond me.

Pregnancy is a medical condition. Until a fetus is viable outside the womb, it's is part of a woman's medical condition.

And, some stranger killing a woman and her unborn fetus really is not the same as a woman making a medical decision to terminate a pregnancy.

I mean, that equivalency (and I see it tossed around in here pretty often) is tantamount to saying "why's it a crime when a stranger damages my property but not a crime when I do?"
If the fetus is property, when someone other than the host woman terminates her fetus lawmakers should change the crime and punishment from homicide to some kind of destruction of property crime like vandalism or criminal mischief.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:16 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"In 2014, some 46% of all abortion patients had never married and were not cohabiting. However, nearly half were living with a male partner in the month they became pregnant, including 14% who were married and 31% who were cohabiting."

Half of women seeking abortion were using contraception in the cycle in which they conceived.
Which has nothing to do with anything I said.

Quote:
You are not paying for anyone's abortion.
Which part of "tax-dollars" do you not understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Those kind of sentiments give everyone pause.

But this statement of yours - that lusty slutty women who get themselves pregnant deserve the sentence of carrying the baby to a full and shameful public full term pregnancy, and a public acknowledgement that she's a cheater - that makes antiabortion people look so cold and punitive. Like women haters.
Those are your differently twisted words, not mine.

I simply said I should not have to pay for it, which is not the same as they deserve to be punished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Where in the world does that statement even come from? What percentage of women are having an abortion because they suspect the baby isn't their husband or boyfriend's?
Why don't you commission a survey and find out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You do realize that even if Planned Parenthood is no longer a government funded corporation or replaced with market solution, your insurance would pay for someone who uses abortion for that straw argument, right?
It's not a Straw Man. A Straw Man is a differently twisted misrepresentation. If you want an example, then read the fore-going by ClaraC, who completely misrepresented what I said.

Do you not understand the difference between taxes and insurance premiums?

One is involuntary and the other voluntary.

For the record, I do not purchase health insurance.

Quote:
Back alley abortions were a very real thing before Roe v. Wade. What makes you think they will not happen again if all abortion is made illegal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It may seem like hyperbole but it is just that. It happened during the pre-Roe V. Wade era. And sadly many Pro-life people want us to overturn Roe V. Wade and go back to back alley abortions which will include sterilization and even death for women seeking one. #NotAStrawman
The US did not become a two-car country until 1974, when 51% of households had two or more cars.

Why Danish women are seeking abortions in Norway

In Denmark, pregnant women are allowed to reduce the number of foetuses to two, but not to one unless there are health risks.

https://www.thelocal.dk/20170105/why...ions-in-norway

I guess that makes Danish women a helluva lot smarter than American women, who are apparently too damn stupid to drive or take a bus to another State where abortions are legal.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:38 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Which has nothing to do with anything I said.
Do you have any facts to support your implication that all those married or cohabiting women are sluts trying to hide affairs?

Quote:
Which part of "tax-dollars" do you not understand?
GAO says tax dollars are not being used to fund abortions.

Quote:
The US did not become a two-car country until 1974, when 51% of households had two or more cars.

Why Danish women are seeking abortions in Norway

In Denmark, pregnant women are allowed to reduce the number of foetuses to two, but not to one unless there are health risks.

https://www.thelocal.dk/20170105/why...ions-in-norway

I guess that makes Danish women a helluva lot smarter than American women, who are apparently too damn stupid to drive or take a bus to another State where abortions are legal.

Why should women have to go to another state? Making them do so will just result in more abortions being done later in pregnancy. Is that what you want?

Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If the fetus is property, when someone other than the host woman terminates her fetus lawmakers should change the crime and punishment from homicide to some kind of destruction of property crime like vandalism or criminal mischief.
Not property, part of the woman's medical condition. Do you consider your uterus or ear or finger property?
So maybe "why's it a crime when a stranger cuts off my finger (mayhem) but not a crime when I do?"

Old 04-15-2019, 01:01 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
As I always say are the people against abortion going to take care of all of these kids!! Of course not the hypocrites
... in sanctuary cities and states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies