Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:53 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
He's had 50+ years to become the master of manipulation.
That's what we all do as humans. Are you a parent? I hope you learned a few manipulation skills along the way. You work in a Business or in Sales ?

Life is all about how we do learn to influence and manipulate.

That is not a bad thing. It's what makes one successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 06:59 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Congrats Bawac for a good thoughtful post.

That is one of his strengths. Being able to talk TOO the people is a huge advantage that many people don't seem to have. You and I live in middle America and it seems like many Politicians from both Coasts do not have this skill. It's more of a midwest, southern think where you connect with the people.

That was my complaint with Obama. He lectured and talked down to people.

I've watched umpteen times that Obama has spoken, and not once did I detect any of the talking down to people you mention. Sure, he had positive, strong positions on things, as any intelligent leader should have, but if anyone was just like the guy next door, it was Obama. He is about as down to earth as any man I have met in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7hddyiR47k

If this is "talking down to people" Donald Trump needs to learn to do more of it, rather than attacking everyone in sight.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:09 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,913 times
Trump plays his audience like a crowd at a wrestling match. He gets them all worked up and foaming at the mouth about liberals. Get's his base all excited, but the problem is he gets the other side all worked up AGAINST him too. This is why he has been polling consistently in the low 40's because he is a divisive leader.

A leader who unites people, would turn off some of the extremists sure, but would bring in more of those moderates and probably get his poll numbers higher.

A good and effective leader though would bring in the majority of people to their side. They don't need Trump's theatrics, they lead by example.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:11 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Trump plays his audience like a crowd at a wrestling match. He gets them all worked up and foaming at the mouth about liberals. Get's his base all excited, but the problem is he gets the other side all worked up AGAINST him too. This is why he has been polling consistently in the low 40's because he is a divisive leader.

A leader who unites people, would turn off some of the extremists sure, but would bring in more of those moderates and probably get his poll numbers higher.

A good and effective leader though would bring in the majority of people to their side. They don't need Trump's theatrics, they lead by example.

^^^^^ This.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:11 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
What Trump does well

Lie

Old 04-12-2019, 07:12 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
He is a genius at the game of politics. He knows how to keep his base by timing things just so. He doesn't even have to accomplish anything but he can still make his base believe he did or at least he tried. Look for him to legalize weed once he no longer needs the religious right. I hate Trump with a passion but I give him this. I think Democrats need to look at what Trump does but do it smarter and with more class. I think the one person currently doing that is Pete Buttegieg, but since he's gay he doesn't stand a chance. It's a shame. I think what Trump does well is he speaks to the people instead of down at them. So many politicians speak down at the people from a pedestal.
For myself, I was completely floored with Hillary’s “basket of deplorables” comment. Any thought that she had a clue at all about what she was doing evaporated with that. Politicians are all about power and when they get it, they seem to exhibit nothing but arrogance. I’d like to see every single one of them swept out of office and replaced with a whole new batch. Many of them have been there most of their lives and need to find something else to do.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Take out multi million dollar loans, default, and leave others holding the bag. This is what he does best, and he's done it over and over again. Not too mention what his dad told him years ago. Tell people something long enough, true or not, a large majority will start to believe it. He's just a big con man.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:23 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He looks people in the eye and blatantly lies to them. To me that's no different than telling the people he thinks they're idiots and will believe anything he says.
Very true but it works and will probably get him re-elected. 40% or so of Americans believe everything he says without question.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:25 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
One thing Trump is great at is lying to the country. He flip flops about so much it’s ridiculous then when interviewed he has another story for the press. Trumps idea of a free press is Faux news where everybody agrees with him and nobody criticizes him for his stupidity.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
He knows how to keep his base by timing things just so. He doesn't even have to accomplish anything but he can still make his base believe he did or at least he tried.
Sure, but I think that says more about his base than him. How can they be so easily played?

He is good at playing his base against the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies