Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 01:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Surely this must violate the Equal Protection clause, preventing Illinoisians from having the option of voting for the person who will probably be the nominee of one of the two major political parties. Besides, tax returns form no part of the Constitutionally mandated eligibility requirements for the office of the Presidency, and thus should not be the basis of who may or may not be allowed to appear on a state's ballot.

Yes, the states have a lot of say in how they run their elections. But in an election for a federal office, the federal government certainly has an interest in ensuring that people in all states have an equal opportunity to vote for the candidates.
I've not commented on this until I had some time to think about it.

Third party candidates have often times been left off Presidential Ballots because of state requirements to be on a ballot. Why did we have no concern then?

It was all legal.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:08 PM

623 posts, read 233,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Just more excusing your serial liar's lies, like you are forced to do every single day.
I don't need to excuse anything President Trump says. He is doing EXACTLY what I elected him to do. Make America Great Again,the pissing off of the leftists is just a bonus. The making leftists whine and cry like babies is an even better bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
You’re too funny; how convenient. Requesting factual information isn’t somehow equivalent to a “temper tantrum”. Any other false equivalencies you’d like to perpetuate?

No audit exists.
Its NONE of your's or my business what his taxes say! Maybe the leftists should try running on a decent platform instead of another wahhh we hate trump platform...that won't work.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:10 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
https://www.mystateline.com/news/ill...lot/1919139230

Well doesn’t that just make things a tad more exciting! Trump’s been continually promising to release his tax returns, but can’t stop lying about reasons not to; I guess he doesn’t have a choice anymore should this pass the Illinois House....
I don't know about this. Is it just Trump or are we now going to make it law that all Presidental candidates show their tax returns?

I think this will prove to be difficult to enforce.
Not a fan of Trump's -- but I don't know about all of this.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:10 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Well it's not quite law yet. It has to pass the state House of Reps. and be signed into law by the Governor, and Pritzjer isn't talking. I'd be more impressed if more Red states joined in. So far Washington, and New Jersey have similar legislation.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't know about this. Is it just Trump or are we now going to make it law that all Presidental candidates show their tax returns?

I think this will prove to be difficult to enforce.
Not a fan of Trump's -- but I don't know about all of this.
It would have to be all. I see where Bernie says he will release his. BTW, Trump said he would also but never did.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:13 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Awesome!

Great original thought here to play Trump at his own game.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
I don't need to excuse anything President Trump says. He is doing EXACTLY what I elected him to do. Make America Great Again,the pissing off of the leftists is just a bonus. The making leftists whine and cry like babies is an even better bonus.

Its NONE of your's or my business what his taxes say! Maybe the leftists should try running on a decent platform instead of another wahhh we hate trump platform...that won't work.

See this whole -- bonus -- pissing off half the country -- I find it kind of hateful, nasty. I'm not sure that is making American great again.

And you sound like you are whining and ranting and raving and raging more than the 'liberals' in this thread....

I'm not sure it should be legislated that Presidential candidates/Presidents have to show us their taxes.

I think that Trump's lack of transparency is creating some doubt in folks. I am sure the biggest thing Trump doesn't want us to see is how much he doesn't really make each year.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:19 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Why is it anyone else's business how much of a person's income is stolen from them?

There should be no tax returns in the first place because there should be no taxes.

So your plan to pay for things like defense, federal buildings, federal salaries, etc. would be what?

Old 04-12-2019, 03:23 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:

Increase the national debt? Play lots of golf? Generally act like a spoiled little brat? Waste time/$$$ on summits that produce nothing? Throw the US intelligence community under the bus while playing Putin's lapdog on international TV? You've certainly set a low bar for the man you voted for.

Quote:

But, according to law, it IS the business of Congress should they request an individual's returns. And it doesn't say the IRS may provide that information, it says it shall provide. We all know Trump thinks HE is the law, he needs a few nights in a cell to educate himself.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:46 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
Do you mean red states are also going to pass laws requiring release of tax returns? I think most Dem candidates have already released them.
It's an arbitrary set of documents not required by law. It could just as easily be medical records, insurance claims, college transcripts, criminal records, lawsuit settlement details, mortgage documents or anything else you can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies