Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 07:42 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
You realize that cops are the ones who are confiscating peoples' guns, don't you?

They already murdered a guy in Maryland because he was protecting his inherent rights.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/11/mar...#axzz5l2UPD7zB

Use your brain.
See if you can find any updates to this story. I couldn't find anything. With the death of a citizen at the hands of law enforcement, you would think that the media would be all over this................

Old 04-14-2019, 07:44 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
You hate 850,000 people that you don't even know? That's just stupid.
Its not once realized the job description of a govt cop is to enforce without question all of the laws the state has implemented, dreamt up, con-concocted, etc. and that are in direct contradiction of private property rights and personal freedom (and in many cases your own d*** rulebook the constitution. See war on drugs for further evidence)
That serve and protect nonsense is just that, they are occupiers in blue enforcing the crowns rule

Old 04-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
But....but......but....

"Nobody wants to take your guns".

Liberals kept saying that and nobody with a brain ever believed it. They were straight up lying. As they do with so many issues. They want to take our guns. Absolutely they do.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:00 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Colorado House Majority Leader Alec Garnett, one of the legislation's four sponsors, said he wasn't concerned about sheriffs being locked up.

"What I'm going to lose sleep over is, if that's the choice that they make, and someone loses their life, someone in crisis goes on a shooting spree, (or) someone commits suicide" because a gun wasn't taken away, he said.

Sheriffs can ignore enforcing Red Flag laws if that's their choosing, but they cannot ignore the fallout from such decisions by the public who elected them.

"What I'm going to lose sleep over is, if that's the choice that they make, and someone loses their life, someone in crisis goes on a shooting spree, (or) someone commits suicide" because a gun wasn't taken away, he said."

Notice what he is NOT concerned with. Someone using his gun to PROTECT himself and or his familiar or friends and neighbors.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:02 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
cops should enforce the laws they like and disregard those laws they don't. Just like they do in sanctuary cities.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Law Enforcement is just that, Law Enforcement. If you don't want to enforce the law, choose a different career.
" If you don't want to enforce the law, choose a different career"

The Office of Sheriff is created by the Colorado Constitution. Colo. Const., art. XIV, sect. 8. The Constitution does not enumerate particular duties of Sheriffs. Colorado statutes do specify various duties for Sheriffs, most of which are restatements of the Sheriffs’ traditional common law powers and duties. For example: “to keep and preserve the peace in their respective counties, and to quiet and suppress all affrays, riots, and unlawful assemblies and insurrections”; to “act as fire warden of his or her respective county”; to “appoint some proper person undersheriff”; and so on. Colorado Revised Statutes sect. 30-10-501 et seq. Nothing in the list of statutory duties requires Sheriffs to enforce every state statute.
As required by the Colorado Constitution, Sheriffs take an Oath of Office. Sheriff Cooke’s oath was as follows:
“I, John B. Cooke, do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution of the State of Colorado, the Home Rule Charter for Weld County, Colorado; the Ordinances of Weld County, Colorado, and that I will faithfully perform the duties of the Office of County Sheriff, of the County of Weld, State of Colorado, upon which I enter.”
This oath did not require Sheriff Cooke to enforce all state statutes.

http://volokh.com/2013/12/17/colorad...orce-statutes/

So YES , they should "enforce" the law, the United States Constitution and th erest of the municipalities sated in their OATH.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-14-2019 at 08:17 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" If you don't want to enforce the law, choose a different career"

They take an OATH to "support and defend the Constitution of the united sates", which ALWAYS supersedes any local law.

So YES , they should "enforce" the law, Constitution.
http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/depart...ments/Oath.pdf

Old 04-14-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its not once realized the job description of a govt cop is to enforce without question all of the laws the state has implemented, dreamt up, con-concocted, etc. and that are in direct contradiction of private property rights and personal freedom (and in many cases your own d*** rulebook the constitution. See war on drugs for further evidence)
That serve and protect nonsense is just that, they are occupiers in blue enforcing the crowns rule

What in the HELL are you drinking?

Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Colorado House Majority Leader Alec Garnett, one of the legislation's four sponsors, said he wasn't concerned about sheriffs being locked up.

"What I'm going to lose sleep over is, if that's the choice that they make, and someone loses their life, someone in crisis goes on a shooting spree, (or) someone commits suicide" because a gun wasn't taken away, he said.

Sheriffs can ignore enforcing Red Flag laws if that's their choosing, but they cannot ignore the fallout from such decisions by the public who elected them.
Wrong.

Redflag laws are ripe for abuse.
We could be neighbors. You hate the fact I own ARs. All you need to do is drop the dime and say you feel threatened or that I am a threat with no concrete evidence.
Presumption of innocence until proven guilty is gone. The onus is then upon me to prove I am not a risk to myself and/or others.

I know someone who was redflagged. 62 going to be 63 years old in a couple months. Busy body neighbor walking their dog peered into his windows and saw him carrying a lever action through his house. He had just returned from the shooting range, cleaned his rifle and was going to put it back in the safe. Hyperbolic busybody-There are kids in this neighborhood and we can't have someone with an assault rifle with kids here...

So far that man has spent 12k of his retirement funds to battle this out. Between lawyer and shrink fees.

It should have been an open and shut case of busy body gonna busy body. And I believe the busybody not only should reimburse his fees, but be slapped with a felony.
This is no different than swatting someone.

How so?
You have a hot head rookie deputy or patrol officer responding to that call.
Everyone seemed to express utter outrage over the guy in the hotel being gunned down for not obeying Simon Says orders.

Wait until people start being gunned down in their homes/on their property for not being willing to comply until a warrant is produced or shows any signs of being remotely confrontational towards the officer.
"I feared for my life and the safety of the community."

Redflag laws are simply the push for the elitist gun grabbers in their direction.

They're fast and loose.
And a result following Parkland after the FBI was tipped off, and after it being documented Broward and local municipalities had responded to that dumbo eared scumbag more times in a year to his residence than the ice cream truck. Protected by that good feelz Promise Program. With the history he had? There was no reason other than the Promise Program which protected him from catching charges and a Baker Act which would have stripped him from his rights to acquire a firearm.
.gov dropped the ball, we all pay for it. The tools were there to be used. But weren't.

This is precisely why emotion should not become legislation.

The other fatal flaws to redflags?

Here's one you didn't consider.
Domestic violence.
Husband and wife or boyfriend and girlfriend get into a nasty argument/breakup/divorce.
If the husband/boyfriend was motivated enough to want to do harm against the ex? What a better way than to call the cops and redflag her to have her means of defense stripped from her.

Vice versa. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. She drops the dime on the boyfriend/husband knowing he owns firearms. Claims she feels threatened while dude never made any notion of a threat.

Oh sure. Take the guns!

Wrong.

If an individual is suspected to be such a threat, why not take the individual?
Oh I know why... the individual is never considered by the lemming mentality. The focal point is the implement. Not the individual.

Say you do in fact have someone with the motive incentive and intent to harm others.
Say it's a legitimate case to justify a redflag law...

You only stripped them of firearms.

That leaves them with a plethora of other weapons they can use to carry out their atrocity. Smart. Real smart.

Knives. Blunt force objects. Etc.

Your beloved redflag law focuses on implements giving you the illusion of safety/security merely by focusing on firearms. Nobody in support of these laws is truly genuine in wanting to protect others for a second.
If they were, they'd want to see someone who is such a perceived threat be taken into custody, questioned, investigated, and/or involuntarily comitted. Many states have that means before redflag laws became a thing. Florida-Baker Act.

But go on feeling rather than thinking... it's worked oh so well so far...

Old 04-14-2019, 08:25 AM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Sheriffs are elected everywhere I know of, including Colorado. So, no, they can't be fired.
Don't bet on it. Florida State attorney elected Aramis Ayala, had all of her capital punishment cases removed from on the orders of Rick Scott after she declared she was against the death penalty and was not going to seek it in any of her cases. She has tried to sue Scott to get her cases back, but has lost many times. Is it possible because she refused to obey state law, and it gave Scott all the ammunition he needed to remove those cases from her?

Newly elected governor, DeSantis, had elected Sheriff Israel fired from his position in Broward county due to his way of handling the Stoneybrook highschool shooting. Sure, Israel is fighting it, but so far he is still unemployed despite being an elected official. DeSantis also had the supervisor of elections of Palm Beach county removed as well, and she too is an elected official. Many people agree with his decision though because the election systems in Palm Beach as well as Broward have become so corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies