Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:31 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Odds of most slot machines have greater than 90% return.

Health insurance must only use 80% of paid health insurance premiums for actual health care. Enough said!

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-ca...s/rate-review/
Slots over time - 90% of 90% of 90%...and eventually almost all will lose.

Medical insurance it is also a gamble of sorts, especially if you are low risk, relatively young and healthy. But when you 'win' with HC insurance, that is not a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 08:40 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Slots over time - 90% of 90% of 90%...and eventually almost all will lose.

Medical insurance it is also a gamble of sorts, especially if you are low risk, relatively young and healthy. But when you 'win' with HC insurance, that is not a good thing.
I’m a big winner thanks to the wife’s hypoxic brain injury. Somehow it doesn’t feel like winning.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I’m a big winner thanks to the wife’s hypoxic brain injury. Somehow it doesn’t feel like winning.
My wife too! (the point)

Old 04-14-2019, 08:54 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I had dam* good Insurance till Obamacare passed and caused it to go up 250% and the deductible to jump to $6000.

Glad someone is enjoying their subsidies that's costing many of us out the azz.
And I'd didn't get to keep my doctor or get my $2500 discount.

Lies, all lies.
I agree that O'care isn't that great for a lot of people. Wish Obama could have gotten single payer but I'm sure he and the other Dems knew it wouldn't fly.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:31 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Wow, this was a pretty dumb thread.

For those that are curious, an insurance policy is sold once per year.

A slot machine is played many thousands or tens of thousands of times in a year.

Thus a person sitting down with $100 for an hour or so will eventually be reduced on average to $0.

This thread would be like arguing against having a soda machine at your business because it costs $500 but only makes 50 cents on a sale and thus loses you $499.50.

Makes me wish I could put some posters on double-ignore lol.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I agree that O'care isn't that great for a lot of people. Wish Obama could have gotten single payer but I'm sure he and the other Dems knew it wouldn't fly.
There are some good aspects of O-care, but being too chicken-sh*t to possibly anger young voters and having a penalty phase in slower than a dead sloth drove rates through the roof for many people as they had to foot the bill for all those that got big subsidies or had chronic illness.

In short, it screwed a lot of middle class people in order to not anger young voters.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:55 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The ACA required that at least 80% of health insurance premiums went to healthcare. The CEOs of the health insurance companies had no choice but to raise premiums so that these CEOs could continue to enjoy their multi-million dollar/year salaries. It was the insurance companies who raised your rates.
You made the assertion. Prove that those variables had the most, or even had a more than negligible effect on rates.

Quote:
Check out how your health insurance company CEO is enjoying your contribution!
The way you phrased that.....sounds like someone who is getting a subsidy.

Rakin and I are each paying 100% of our premiums. We aren't getting subsidies.

--------------------

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pay...na-cigna-aetna

Your link ^^^^^ reveals that a significant portion of the compensation is from stock options.

No attempt to analyze the terms of any of the income from the specific stock option situations is even made.

We have no idea when vesting began for any of them.....could have been before the ACA existed.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:02 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are some good aspects of O-care, but being too chicken-sh*t to possibly anger young voters and having a penalty phase in slower than a dead sloth drove rates through the roof for many people as they had to foot the bill for all those that got big subsidies or had chronic illness.

In short, it screwed a lot of middle class people in order to not anger young voters.
Some people don't like footing that bill on principle, irrespective of whether their income is $1 over getting any subsidy or they are UHNW individuals.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Some people don't like footing that bill on principle, irrespective of whether their income is $1 over getting any subsidy or they are UHNW individuals.
I hear your point.

Every form of social insurance has some degree of that.

Heck, even private insurance like auto insurance has you "footing the bill" for others.

Uninsured\Underinsured motorist coverage for example or of course various surcharges tucked into the rates to pay for assigned risk etc. drivers depending on state.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:32 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I had dam* good Insurance till Obamacare passed and caused it to go up 250% and the deductible to jump to $6000.

Glad someone is enjoying their subsidies that's costing many of us out the azz.
And I'd didn't get to keep my doctor or get my $2500 discount.

Lies, all lies.
This is either a statistical outlier approximately 4 standard deviations from the median or a lie.

https://www.thebalance.com/causes-of...-costs-4064878
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies