U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 12:49 AM

10,953 posts, read 4,813,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
You responded to my post comparing just those two states though.
Sorry, I meant to compare the general trends of states. I wasn't clear.

Arizona does seem to hold up pretty well, which is impressive given the extreme heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 01:10 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,129,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
... and every single bottom 10 state in life expectancy is a red state.

And the much-hated California is #2.

Where you live in America determines when you’ll die

Below is the top 10:

You can complain about high taxes, high prices, large numbers of homeless, illegal immigrants or whatever else you want about the blue states, but there are few indicators that are a better gauge of the well-being of the population than life expectancy. And in that category, blue states stand head-and-shoulders above the red states.

There are some red states in the Plains and Rocky Mountains that do pretty well, but they still aren't as good as the top 10 blue states.
Those poor souls in those red states are about ten times warmer, friendlier, and a 1000 times more sociable and approachable then any smug elitist liberal that I ever met. Id rather die young surrounded by those down home types of folks any day over living to a 100 in somewhere like LA or Seattle surrounded by smug liberals who judge and shun you if you don't have a college degree or run 20 miles a day and eat granola. .

Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 AM

5,501 posts, read 5,694,195 times
Quote:
... and every single bottom 10 state in life expectancy is a red state.

And the much-hated California is #2.

Where you live in America determines when you’ll die

Below is the top 10:

You can complain about high taxes, high prices, large numbers of homeless, illegal immigrants or whatever else you want about the blue states, but there are few indicators that are a better gauge of the well-being of the population than life expectancy. And in that category, blue states stand head-and-shoulders above the red states.

There are some red states in the Plains and Rocky Mountains that do pretty well, but they still aren't as good as the top 10 blue states.
What's even more interesting is how "life expectancy" rates do NOT correlate with "quality of life" rates. I think the obvious difference in the rates are attributed to blue states (i.e. states with higher population densities) to having more hospitals, doctors in private practice, urgi care centers etc etc... with greater access to preventative and primary care.

Anyhoo....10 out of the top 15 States that rank highest in quality of life are the Red ones....

1 North Dakota

2 32 Minnesota

12 43 Wisconsin

20 54 New Hampshire

13 75 South Dakota

6 146 Mississippi

9 177 Arkansas

5 218 New Mexico

17 119 Iowa

18 1010 Colorado

8 2011 Wyoming

11 1912 Maine

25 813 Montana

33 214 Nebraska

21 1315 Missouri

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...uality-of-life

So I guess what it boils down to is.....would you rather live a long and fruitful life in a Red state, or would you rather live longer laying on a gurney hooked up to a heart monitor in a Blue state?

And just for kicks--since you mentioned the sunshine state-- California ranks dead last in quality of life....New jersey is one stop above it.

Last edited by itshim; 04-15-2019 at 01:40 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 02:30 AM

8,096 posts, read 4,690,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
States that pass laws no longer requiring a license, training or background check will cause suicide by gun to go up. A lot of people in red states feel that guns should be even easier to get than a phone.
What does a license, training, or a background check have to do with suicide rates? Pretty much everyone who wants to kill themselves with a gun could pass a background check, could get training, and could get a license.

I agree with the thrust of your argument though. More guns, more suicide. The only thing licensing does is make guns harder to get. Making them harder to get, means fewer people will take the effort to get them. And the harder it is to kill yourself, the fewer people will kill themselves.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d0eeb3523f70

Women are actually four-times more likely to attempt suicide, but men are four-times more-likely to actually kill themselves. Women usually try to kill themselves with pills, but men kill themselves with guns. Guns are far more-effective.

With that said, I don't think you are going to convince many people to take everyone's guns away to prevent people from killing themselves. You can't even convince me, and the very reason I refuse to get a gun is because I know I would kill myself.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 04-15-2019 at 02:39 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 AM

51,641 posts, read 41,596,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
What's even more interesting is how "life expectancy" rates do NOT correlate with "quality of life" rates. I think the obvious difference in the rates are attributed to blue states (i.e. states with higher population densities) to having more hospitals, doctors in private practice, urgi care centers etc etc... with greater access to preventative and primary care.
Those are some of the very same reasons that the whole red vs. blue state thing fails...every single time.

Each state is not homogenous, for example Illinois is very democrat in the Chicago area and very Republican in the rest of the state.

We cannot assume that whatever someone decided for quality of life criteria and weights (a whole other can of worms) is the same evenly throughout the state and then tag it as a "blue state" because it went 56/39 democrat.

Here is how the voting went by county, which illustrates my point. Some counties 75/25...others 25/75.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U...nois#By_county

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-15-2019 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 07:29 AM

8,848 posts, read 2,658,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...uality-of-life ...
If you look at US News' overall best state rankings, not just their "quality of life" sub-category, they do correlate pretty strongly with the life expectancy rankings (particularly if you look at the whites-only rankings I posted earlier):

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 AM

8,848 posts, read 2,658,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Those poor souls in those red states are about ten times warmer, friendlier, and a 1000 times more sociable and approachable then any smug elitist liberal that I ever met. Id rather die young surrounded by those down home types of folks any day over living to a 100 in somewhere like LA or Seattle surrounded by smug liberals who judge and shun you if you don't have a college degree or run 20 miles a day and eat granola. .
Did it ever occur to you, that adopting a lifestyle where you know you have a good chance of dying younger than you would have if you had adopted a different lifestyle, is, essentially, suicide?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:38 AM

39,191 posts, read 40,571,673 times
Quote:
Did it ever occur to you, that adopting a lifestyle where you know you have a good chance of dying younger than you would have if you had adopted a different lifestyle, is, essentially, suicide?

Ripping through the woods on quad with your buddies has risks but it is also a lot of fun. Just because you are willing to accept those risks doesn't mean you are suicidal. If you want to live in a bubble so be it but it sounds like a pretty boring life if you aren't willing to take some risks.

Back in the 80's I owned some of the first mountain bikes on the market when they weren't much more than glorified ten speeds. I crashed plenty of times with my head missing a tree by mere inches once. I wouldn't give those experiences up for anything.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:41 AM

5,501 posts, read 5,694,195 times
Quote:
If you look at US News' overall best state rankings, not just their "quality of life" sub-category, they do correlate pretty strongly with the life expectancy rankings (particularly if you look at the whites-only rankings I posted earlier):

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings
But there isn't a strong correlation, there really isn't any correlation at all.

Based on US News list that you posted--of the top 15 best overall States, 8 of them (including the first one) are Red States, 7 are Blue. That's a difference from the first list of "life expectency" where the top 10 are Blue States.

The "quality of life" rankings that I posted earlier where Red States claim 10 of the top 15 States, seem to have a stronger correlation in the overall rankings where they claim 8 of the top 15.

That being said, looking at "life expectancy" rates as having some degree of significance is misleading. I mean what are we really talking about here? A difference of 0.8 years on average?

Is there really a big difference between California where the average life expectancy is 80.82 where in Utah it's 79.91?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:51 AM

47,557 posts, read 45,245,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Part of the reason could be genetics.
Or maybe not. It could be that with family members taking care of each other, it means less stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or