U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 07:29 PM

15,162 posts, read 4,011,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What's up with Denmark at #47??
Far North, drinking (even tho not for depression, they do it a lot) and very fatty foods (not fast foods, lots of dairy and things).

My friend there had his gall bladder taken out, very common, at a young age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 07:39 PM

5,460 posts, read 3,295,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's quite amazing when Blue States lead in most ALL metrics.....AND, yet, still have money left over as well as volunteers and others to help civilize some of the less well-off places.

Blue States Make American Great!
Then maybe people living in blue states should stay there and deal with out of control cost of living and insane taxes instead of moving to an affordable state, complaining how bad it is, and voting for the same party that caused them to leave.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Again... your assertion is weather... weather isn't politics nor cares. You conveniently left out Texas and New Mexico. You are seeing political lines where none exist. Regardless.. there is no correlation much less causation. There are also popular retirement states that are in colder climates.
No doubt things are a bit more homogenous these days with air travel, the internet, air conditioning and interstates. However, you should consider the fact that NONE of these were regular deals until about the mid or late 1950's.

Weather IS political - the South wasn't a slave and ag economy for no reason. The extra effort and innovation it took to adapt ag and industrial civilization to colder climes bred more and more innovation...

Diseases formed many of the cultures of certain places (the American South - yellow fever, hookworm, pelegra, etc.).

One needs to have the ability to keep more than one thing in their head at a time....weather is one large political variable, but so is resource extraction. So is transportation.

Are you going to claim Oil had nothing to do with how Texas or WY are in a political sense? That would be crazy.

If you look around the world you will usually see resource based economies differ greatly from innovation based diverse economic states.
It works the same for regions whether we call them countries or states.

Hong Kong, Boston, Singapore, UK, NYC, The Bay Area and SoCall...these are just some examples of Diverse Economies with transportation, education...and where are the best hospitals and docs in the USA?

In general, Boston, NYC, San Fran and SoCal.....not saying that good docs and hospitals don't exist elsewhere...Johns Hopkins (also in a Port City..founded by the NYC Rockefeller charity and more) and Cleveland Clinic, etc.

Generalizations are just that.

However, many of the deficiencies in the USA are easily traceable to known factors. If hookworm makes you slow and 30% of Southerners had it, what does that do?

If a Southerner taps pine trees for turpentine for a living and lives in a shack (weather allows it), how do those generations differ even from a lower or middle class person in the Northeast who may end up, merit based or by charity or luck, in a top college? "

Hookworm is STILL there - big time in poor areas:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...atment-poverty

"In 1910, an estimated 40% of the population of the southern United States was infected with hookworm. The Rockefeller Sanitary Commission for the Eradication of Hookworm Disease (RSC) was created with the intention of eliminating the disease across the region."

Do we have data on how hookworm in combination with pelegra....when infected people have children....what is the result?

Location, Location, Location has always meant something.
That doesn't mean that MS. could be, if it really wanted to be, in the top 10 states. What it DOES mean is the pols and leaders there don't want to be. They, like so much else of our current US Politics, live in a backwards world where they will tell you to your face that "their way", hookworm and all, is the way of freedom.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Then maybe people living in blue states should stay there and deal with out of control cost of living and insane taxes instead of moving to an affordable state, complaining how bad it is, and voting for the same party that caused them to leave.
My Parents place in Hilton Head was accessed at about 600K (worth less, but the town doesn't care about the great recession)....which = property taxes of about 7500 a year. Insurance is quite high also.
They have a whopper of a yearly car tax, sales tax and...."drums please" ....an Income Tax up to 7% (state)....
"got a $630 tax bill, based on her car being valued at $31,000." - that's yearly.

I would never claim you can't live there in a trailer double-wide...cheap. If you are full time resident it will be really cheap, as SC has no school tax for residents....only for non-residents (don't ask....no human being could figure that one out!)

Of course, no one would want to send their kids to those schools anyway.

Point is, my taxes in MA for a 500K house are about the same. I get top education and universal health care with that.

I know this is hard to believe, but hardly a single person I know ever left PA or NJ or MA for the warmer states....either, until they bought a 2nd home for part-time of the year (semi-retired) or until fully retired, in which case they wanted to golf more or didn't feel like shoveling as much snow.

Most people who leave are simply done with their careers and so go and chase the Sun. We thank Mr. Carrier and Mr. Otis as well as all the other Blue State doctors and researchers and tech people who made it possible for us to use the warmer places for a few months out of the year....and spread some of our money around down there.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 PM

9,516 posts, read 5,362,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
No, you are wrong. The first post where I mentioned that was post #52 which was in response to Rakin.
You continue to quote my post. What I am not allowed to respond?

Old 04-15-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No doubt things are a bit more homogenous these days with air travel, the internet, air conditioning and interstates. However, you should consider the fact that NONE of these were regular deals until about the mid or late 1950's.

Weather IS political - the South wasn't a slave and ag economy for no reason. The extra effort and innovation it took to adapt ag and industrial civilization to colder climes bred more and more innovation...
Out of context... and irrelevant. We are not talking about weather in the context of economy or parasites but rather the assertion made earlier about retirement in the context of life expectancy. Some of the popular retirement states are Maine and Vermont.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,732,016 times
Quote:
You continue to quote my post. What I am not allowed to respond?
Are you really that daft? You said:
Quote:
You originally quoted my post.
No, I originally quoted Rakin in post 52, not you. I just proved it, too.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Are you really that daft? You said:

No, I originally quoted Rakin in post 52, not you. I just proved it, too.
No I am not that daft... regardless.. no rules on who we can respond to... nor who we can disagree with. Don't want to discuss.. don't start threads.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:58 AM

30,447 posts, read 20,098,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I don't think you thought through the reply very well...
RACE is a huge factor and so is fertility.

Billings County ND has a life expectancy of 84.04 years.

Sioux County ND has a life expectancy of 68.59 years.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/bi...ntynorthdakota

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/si...ntynorthdakota

Billings Co. is White/Asian while Sioux Co. is Native-American/White.

Also, the fraction of the population under 18/5 is much higher in Sioux Co. (they produce more babies).

When a young person dies, it has a greater impact on the overall life expectancy that an older person.

Part of the reason that life expectancy is so high in Japan is the extremely low fertility rate.

With few children in their country, the number of early deaths is greatly reduced and the life expectancy is increased.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:23 AM

51,906 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The New Jersey on FOX News:
That's the New Jersey stereotype and has been that way since before FOX was some upstart network that was considered the "minor leagues" of television with some new show on it called The Simpson.

I've heard jabs about NJ in movies, TV, radio etc. for decades about being a dump etc. and of course they're BS...most of those jabs come from NYers.

Since I've lived in Chicago and Kansas I'm used to idiots without a clue getting told something about the area that is untrue whether it's a "war zone" or "doesn't teach evolution" blah blah blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or