U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 AM

51,872 posts, read 41,765,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It's really funny watching people try to blame me for posting a list that somebody else devised.

But yes, those countries ARE conservative. I'm sorry if you're offended by being lumped in with them. Not my fault.
You assigned your own interpretation to the list, quite badly I might add. Trying to pin your bad analysis on someone else's list?

The old "blame the fart on the dog" trick doesn't work when we can see things written down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 07:27 AM

51,872 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It would appear that Mathguy is challenged .. well, at math.

I already addressed your objection. 7 is better than 1:
I love watching you do this....

https://images.app.goo.gl/eQDDMohsKQP3cRut9

Old 04-16-2019, 07:34 AM

11,723 posts, read 8,296,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Far North, drinking (even tho not for depression, they do it a lot) and very fatty foods (not fast foods, lots of dairy and things).

My friend there had his gall bladder taken out, very common, at a young age.
Bet you wouldn't be willing to excuse America's bad ranking on traffic fatalities in which we far outrank all those liberal nations listed above us.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 04-16-2019 at 07:44 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 07:52 AM

47,984 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
RACE is a huge factor and so is fertility.

Billings County ND has a life expectancy of 84.04 years.

Sioux County ND has a life expectancy of 68.59 years.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/bi...ntynorthdakota

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/si...ntynorthdakota

Billings Co. is White/Asian while Sioux Co. is Native-American/White.

Also, the fraction of the population under 18/5 is much higher in Sioux Co. (they produce more babies).

When a young person dies, it has a greater impact on the overall life expectancy that an older person.

Part of the reason that life expectancy is so high in Japan is the extremely low fertility rate.

With few children in their country, the number of early deaths is greatly reduced and the life expectancy is increased.
Not necessarily.

West Virginia is one of the Whitest states in the USA, and ranks near the bottom in life expectancy. It also has the lowest White life expectancy in the USA. Kentucky ranks near the bottom in life expectancy as well. It has a White population around 87%. Kentucky's life expectancy among Whites is among the lowest in the USA, ranking in the bottom 5.

And speaking of Native American life expectancy, Native Americans in California have a life expectancy of around 80 years. This is competitive with the life expectancy for Whites in California. In North Carolina, the life expectancy for Native Americans is around 77 years, only a year lower than for Whites. Why are Native Americans in California and North Carolina living longer than Native Americans living in Montana and South Dakota?

I will go further. Whites in West Virginia and Kentucky have a lower life expectancy most of the USA. Guess who has the highest White life expectancy? Hawaii. Up there with Hawaii is New York, South Dakota, Minnesota, Connecticut, Vermont. Why do Whites in West Virginia and Kentucky live shorter lives than Whites in Hawaii, South Dakota, Minnesota, and New York?

I'll go further. While Blacks, on average, have a lower life expectancy than other groups besides Native Americans, a few things I have found. The life expectancy for Blacks living in Hawaii is around 80, on par with Whites. Blacks in New York, on average, have a life expectancy around 77 years, about 3 years lower than Whites. In South Dakota, Blacks have a slightly longer life expectancy than Whites, and that is considering that Whites in South Dakota have a higher than average life expectancy. Same goes for Minnesota.

I'll chime in on the Black life expectancy. Blacks in Minnesota have a markedly higher life expectancy (83) than Blacks in neighboring Wisconsin (74). Mississippi ranks the lowest in terms of Black life expectancy, at 72 years.

Why are Blacks living longer in Minnesota, Hawaii, and South Dakota than they are in Mississippi and Wisconsin?

Many questions you should think about.

As for fertility, Moldova has one of the lowest fertility rates in the WORLD, lower than Japan. Its young adults are leaving in droves. Moldova's life expectancy is about 71.5 years, lower than what the USA has. Mississippi, which has the lowest life expectancy of any U.S. state, has a higher life expectancy than Moldova.

It leaves more questions to ask.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:23 AM

8,090 posts, read 4,710,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Correct. And the blue hairs aren't moving out of liberal countries -- Canada, Australia, almost all of Europe -- to move to more conservative countries. They're staying put. Yet theses countries are still presumably healthier than the US is.

Might this be due, at least in part, to the universal healthcare systems in these countries, that stress preventative care, and allow people to seek early intervention? This, as opposed to the tens of millions of uninsured Americans who often finally seek treatment when it's too late?
1) They aren't coming here, but we aren't going there either. The vast-majority of people couldn't leave their country if they wanted to.

2) People aren't moving from red-states to blue-states. They are overwhelmingly moving from blue-states to red-states. The only people moving to blue-states, are foreigners. And far more people come to the United States from Europe than vice-versa.

3) There is no such thing as a blue-state or a red-state. Most states are actually pretty split. Texas is considered a very red-state, but Trump only received 52% of the vote in 2016. And most states were far closer than that.

4) Treating states or cities like a monolith isn't very useful. It might be true that some states have higher crime-rates than others, but crime-rates vary dramatically from one city to another, or from one neighborhood to another. All of the highest-crime neighborhoods in this country are democrat. But many of the lowest-crime neighborhoods are also democrat.

5) Moving from a state with a lower life-expectancy to a state with higher life-expectancy doesn't mean you will live longer. As a general-rule, access to healthcare really doesn't change much from one end of the country to the other. At best, people who live in cities have quicker access to emergency care.

https://www.newsweek.com/these-citie...-stack-1127278

From the article....

Quote:
"The area with the lowest life expectancy was Stilwell, Oklahoma, where the average expectancy was 56.3 years old. Stilwell has the highest concentration of Cherokee people in the country. In Stilwell, 42.2 percent of people are Cherokee and 49.0 percent of people are Native American.

Places that were in the bottom 25 percent of life expectancy had four things in common. The majority of the people were less educated, incomes were in the bottom 25 percent, populations were predominantly black, and locations were in the south.

However, the area with the highest life expectancy was also in the south: Chatham, North Carolina. At 97.5 years."

Last edited by Redshadowz; 04-16-2019 at 08:32 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 AM

30,994 posts, read 13,564,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Far North, drinking (even tho not for depression, they do it a lot) and very fatty foods (not fast foods, lots of dairy and things).
My friend there had his gall bladder taken out, very common, at a young age.
I think it's pretty much acknowledged that the biggest contributors to a lower life expectancy in Denmark are smoking and drinking.

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/d...ctancy-2017-2/

Old 04-16-2019, 08:49 AM

9,013 posts, read 2,728,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I love watching you do this....

https://images.app.goo.gl/eQDDMohsKQP3cRut9
And I love watching you non-respond.

Seven is a better sample than one. Interesting you cannot respond to that fact.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You assigned your own interpretation to the list, quite badly I might add.
Another failure on your part. No, I did not assign my own interpretation to that list. My link called them conservative countries. And so that's what I called them as well.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
RACE is a huge factor and so is fertility...
Again, I did address the race factor already. Start with post #6.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:58 AM

17,726 posts, read 19,785,288 times
Take two completely unrelated things and connect them as if they have some sort if correlation... Fail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or