U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 AM

13,344 posts, read 8,417,098 times

Advertisements

You are going to live about as long as your parents, plus or minus that lifestyle thingy, which you may actually inherit from them along with their genes.
It's a fact; liberals live longer than conservatives. But conservatives are happier according to some studies. Liberals claim to be happier, but actual measurement indicate they just give the answer they are expected to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 AM

23,205 posts, read 17,238,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Here is the Red State Solution - you can get all your teeth pulled free...but you have to drive far and sometimes wait a few days:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...-health-divide
This is actually in my local area. Virginia is a blue state. Wise County is about an hour from the nearest city of consequence with real dentists and medical treatment, and is closer to Indianapolis than it is to Richmond.

There are practically no jobs in Wise County with benefits other than employment with UVA-Wise, a branch of the University of Virginia system, and a few other government employers.

The problem is these people are indigent and have no insurance. The people in the county that do have insurance will be driving back to Kingsport, TN for treatment.

There are three hospitals in that county and each loses money. If you're in these rural, indigent counties, you are on your own.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:14 AM

30,336 posts, read 19,960,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Again, I did address the race factor already. Start with post #6.

Then why make the thread about political affiliation?

Obviously there are dozens of relevant factors that determine an individual's life expectancy.

In addition to race and infant mortality, densely populated urban areas are likely to be closer in time and distance to medical help after a medical emergency has occurred.

Local political leanings are only relevant in the sense that conservatives tend to occupy less densely populated rural areas where medical help is farther away.

Seems your standards are arbitrary.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:19 AM

47,287 posts, read 45,095,649 times
Quote:
Again, I did address the race factor already. Start with post #6.
And I've made a rebuttal. Race might be a part, but it isn't everything, nor it is the end all and be all.

Every single top 10 state in life expectancy is a blue state ...

Old 04-16-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And it was not just Eastern Kentucky in such bad shape. Many parts of rural Mississippi and Alabama too. Pellagra (a malnutrition-related disease), hookworm, and malaria were diseases endemic to the Deep South until about the early 1940s.

As for Appalachia, many in the region were living in conditions WORSE than what was in Western Europe or Japan. It was comparable to many parts of inland Asia though.
Appalachia is a huge region. The Appalachian Trail itself stretches from northern GA to Maine.

There are a lot of subregions in there of widely differing levels of prosperity. Most of eastern KY, southwest VA, and southern WV are at the bottom of the pit, the very worst of the worst. I used to live and work in Johnson City, TN, which is affluent relative to the region, has a great dining/craft beer scene, a university with around 13,000 students, the area's only healthy mall and upscale retail, etc. It is completely different world than even half an hour away in surrounding rural areas. Johnson City can compete well against many towns of that size across the country.

If you live in some godawful, depressed area, of course it's going to suck.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 AM

8,774 posts, read 2,613,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Then why make the thread about political affiliation?
Because, as I noted starting in post #6, even when you take into account race, blue states have longer life expectancy than red states.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Race might be a part, but it isn't everything, nor it is the end all and be all.

Every single top 10 state in life expectancy is a blue state ...
Actually, that's precisely what I pointed out, starting in post #6. Somebody pointed out racial differences in the low-ranked states, but I pointed out that, even if you look just at white people, blue states still tend to perform better.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 AM

Right here:
Quote:
To be sure, demographics play a factor, but even if you look at *just* white people (according to your own link), blue states still generally come out better. Though the Plains and Rocky Mountain red states do get bumped up, relatively.

Map:
https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...:%22desc%22%7D

Table:
https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...:%22desc%22%7D

Of the top 10 (including the ties through #9) 9 of the 10 are blue states, with SD the only red states. Maybe Wisconsin is a borderline purple state.

So, it's still dominated by blue states.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily.

West Virginia is one of the Whitest states in the USA, and ranks near the bottom in life expectancy. It also has the lowest White life expectancy in the USA. Kentucky ranks near the bottom in life expectancy as well. It has a White population around 87%. Kentucky's life expectancy among Whites is among the lowest in the USA, ranking in the bottom 5.

And speaking of Native American life expectancy, Native Americans in California have a life expectancy of around 80 years. This is competitive with the life expectancy for Whites in California. In North Carolina, the life expectancy for Native Americans is around 77 years, only a year lower than for Whites. Why are Native Americans in California and North Carolina living longer than Native Americans living in Montana and South Dakota?

I will go further. Whites in West Virginia and Kentucky have a lower life expectancy most of the USA. Guess who has the highest White life expectancy? Hawaii. Up there with Hawaii is New York, South Dakota, Minnesota, Connecticut, Vermont. Why do Whites in West Virginia and Kentucky live shorter lives than Whites in Hawaii, South Dakota, Minnesota, and New York?

I'll go further. While Blacks, on average, have a lower life expectancy than other groups besides Native Americans, a few things I have found. The life expectancy for Blacks living in Hawaii is around 80, on par with Whites. Blacks in New York, on average, have a life expectancy around 77 years, about 3 years lower than Whites. In South Dakota, Blacks have a slightly longer life expectancy than Whites, and that is considering that Whites in South Dakota have a higher than average life expectancy. Same goes for Minnesota.

I'll chime in on the Black life expectancy. Blacks in Minnesota have a markedly higher life expectancy (83) than Blacks in neighboring Wisconsin (74). Mississippi ranks the lowest in terms of Black life expectancy, at 72 years.

Why are Blacks living longer in Minnesota, Hawaii, and South Dakota than they are in Mississippi and Wisconsin?

Many questions you should think about.

As for fertility, Moldova has one of the lowest fertility rates in the WORLD, lower than Japan. Its young adults are leaving in droves. Moldova's life expectancy is about 71.5 years, lower than what the USA has. Mississippi, which has the lowest life expectancy of any U.S. state, has a higher life expectancy than Moldova.

It leaves more questions to ask.
It's about the local culture and your personal lifestyle choices.

I graduated high school in 2004, and will be turning 33 next week. Somewhere between 10%-15% of my graduating class of ~300 is already dead, and I can only think of one who died of "natural" causes.

Drug abuse is rampant here. Probably at least of those who are dead died from overdoses of opiates. A good remainder of the rest died from suicide, which may have been precipitated by the drug use. One of my best friends had mental health issues for many years. I'm not sure his drug use caused his mental health issues, but it no doubt aggravated them.

If your friends are all alcoholics and drug abusers, you probably won't live as long - it's easy to fall into those habits.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:27 AM

17,430 posts, read 19,647,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You are going to live about as long as your parents, plus or minus that lifestyle thingy, which you may actually inherit from them along with their genes.
It's a fact; liberals live longer than conservatives. But conservatives are happier according to some studies. Liberals claim to be happier, but actual measurement indicate they just give the answer they are expected to give.
The Onion Science is not a thing... apples don't decrease your chances of colon cancer or prevent you from seeing the dentist... and Finland is not actually the country with the happiest people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or