U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 01:12 PM

47,987 posts, read 45,443,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Because, while blacks in CA tend to be thinner than blacks in most of the rest of the country, they are still fat, and somewhat fatter than whites in GA.

Black obesity rate in CA: 31.4%
https://www.stateofobesity.org/states/ca/

White obesity rate in GA: 29.5%
https://www.stateofobesity.org/states/ga/
This was the point I was conveying. Among both Blacks and Whites, obesity was lower in California than in Georgia. Georgia, for both groups, does worse. I went to California, found far less obese Blacks than in Georgia.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 01:14 PM

23,556 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Probably the same thing killing Blacks in Georgia: Murder. And ask yourself this. Why are Whites in CA living longer than Whites in GA?

How about this. Blacks in New Hampshire live 6 years longer than Whites in New Hampshire. And Whites have a life expectancy of about 80 years in NH, which is higher than average. Black life expectancy in New Hampshire: 86 years. Why do you think that is?

Why is the Black life expectancy for Minnesota and Vermont higher than for Whites (and the White life expectancy in those states is high as well)?

And while you're harping on California's Blacks, how about this. Blacks in Hawaii live longer than Whites in Georgia.

Nebraska, a Republican state. Whites have a life expectancy of about 80 years. For Blacks, it's around 73.9 years. Why is that? And all of this considering Nebraska borders two states where Blacks live longer, on average, than Whites.
Part of the reason for the shorter life expectancy in the South is murder. The South is the most violent region of the country overall.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The question is, why? I like statistics as much as the next guy, but they don't provide much information on their own.

For instance, you may have heard that the life-expectancy in the Middle-Ages was about 35. And in movies you'll hear jokes about how people who lived to be 35 were considered "old". But is that true?

The reason life-expectancy was low in the Middle-Ages, was because of the exceptionally-high infant-mortality rate.

Life-expectancy is an average. So if you have two people, and one lives to be 80, and the other dies a week after birth. The average life-expectancy of those two people is 40.

This is why murder-rates, suicide-rates, accidental-death, and drug-related deaths have such a huge impact on life-expectancy. Young people are far more-likely to be murdered, to kill themselves, to die in car-accidents, and to overdose from drugs. A mere handful of teenagers dying can drop the average dramatically.

If there were 100 people, and 90 of them lived to be 80, and 10 of them died at 18. The average life-expectancy would drop down to 73.8... Or to put it another way, each 18-year-old death out of 100 people would drop life-expectancy by .62 years.

I'm fine with you quoting statistics, but statistics are pointless without an explanation. And living to 35 in the Middle-Ages didn't make you old. Because the people who didn't die in childhood, had an average life-expectancy of 60-70 years.

https://www.livescience.com/10569-hu...000-years.html

If I were to "guess" why blacks had a higher life-expectancy than whites in some states, it probably has a lot to do with suicide rates. For whatever reason, blacks don't kill themselves at anywhere near the rate that whites kill themselves. In South Dakota, there probably aren't many blacks there, and the ones that are there, don't live in urban ghettos, since there basically aren't any cities there, so they are less-likely to be murdered. In states with high suicide rates and low murder rates, blacks probably outlive whites.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6714a6.htm

With that said, I always find it strange that blacks have the lowest suicide-rate. They are supposedly the most-oppressed, and whites are supposedly the most-privileged, but blacks have nearly 1/3rd the suicide rate as whites.
I want people to ask themselves why, and to think critically. It isn't as simple as one tries to portray it. This is why I brought up cases like Minnesota, Idaho, Wyoming, etc.

In South Dakota, Sioux Falls is the largest city., 176,888 people. Not a large city, but it counts. Minnesota has a large metropolitan area, the Twin Cities. There are Blacks living in the ghettos of Mpls and St. Paul. Those aren't the only places they live though. Blacks have a life expectancy around 82.5 years. For Whites, it's around 80.4. Why do you think this is the case for Minnesota?

I also notice Utah. Blacks, on average, live 5.2 years shorter than Whites while outliving whites by 5.1 years in Wyoming. There aren't many Blacks in Utah. Both UT and WY are Republican states. Why are Blacks living longer in Wyoming by a large margin than Utah?

Old 04-16-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Part of the reason for the shorter life expectancy in the South is murder. The South is the most violent region of the country overall.
The South has been a more violent region over all, in historical terms. Memphis has been a very rough and tumble city from the very beginning. You had to be a special kind of tough to live here. Late 19th century in Memphis included: Floods, high murder rate, yellow fever epidemics.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:34 PM

8,090 posts, read 4,710,956 times
Quote:
Minnesota has a large metropolitan area, the Twin Cities. There are Blacks living in the ghettos of Mpls and St. Paul. Those aren't the only places they live though. Blacks have a life expectancy around 82.5 years. For Whites, it's around 80.4. Why do you think this is the case for Minnesota?

I also notice Utah. Blacks, on average, live 5.2 years shorter than Whites while outliving whites by 5.1 years in Wyoming. There aren't many Blacks in Utah. Both UT and WY are Republican states. Why are Blacks living longer in Wyoming by a large margin than Utah?
Well, Wyoming is easy, but Minnesota, I don't have the slightest guess. But I'm sure there is an explanation.

I was only commenting on this thread because I find red-state vs blue-state threads incredibly annoying. It is just a circle-jerk of ignorance masquerading as intellectualism.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Well, Wyoming is easy, but Minnesota, I don't have the slightest guess. But I'm sure there is an explanation.

I was only commenting on this thread because I find red-state vs blue-state threads incredibly annoying. It is just a circle-jerk of ignorance masquerading as intellectualism.
I have my theories about Minnesota. I just wanted to hear from YOU and your personal reasoning on it. Wyoming, I have my theories on it. But I also look at Utah and see a sharp contrast. Not that many Blacks live in Utah. Blacks are 1% of Utah's population. Blacks are actually 1.6% of Wyoming's population. Blacks are living much longer in Wyoming than Utah.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:45 PM

23,556 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:

States like Minnesota, Vermont, and Maine, places that are always at or near the top of the list in metrics like health, safety, and the like, have one major thing in common. They've historically had relatively small populations of very culturally and relatively economically similar white people.

It's quite easy to have generous social benefits that benefit everyone when the vast majority of people are from your tribe. It's a lot tougher somewhere like the Deep South where there is a long history of conflict between poor whites and aristocrats, not to mention the racial thing.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I have my theories about Minnesota. I just wanted to hear from YOU and your personal reasoning on it. Wyoming, I have my theories on it. But I also look at Utah and see a sharp contrast. Not that many Blacks live in Utah. Blacks are 1% of Utah's population. Blacks are actually 1.6% of Wyoming's population. Blacks are living much longer in Wyoming than Utah.
It isn't about the percentage, it is where they live. Utah has cities, Wyoming doesn't. The "black-culture" which produces violence is an urban phenomenon.

Also, the types of blacks who live in a place like Wyoming would be significantly-different than the types who live in major cities. They are probably "culturally-white" and far wealthier and better-educated than the average black. A significant-percentage probably work for the government.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's quite easy to have generous social benefits that benefit everyone when the vast majority of people are from your tribe.
What "benefits" does Vermont have that Texas doesn't?

Old 04-16-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
It isn't about the percentage, it is where they live. Utah has cities, Wyoming doesn't. The "black-culture" which produces violence is an urban phenomenon.

Also, the types of blacks who live in a place like Wyoming would be significantly-different than the types who live in major cities. They are probably "culturally-white" and far wealthier and better-educated than the average black. A significant-percentage probably work for the government.
There is one theory I have about Wyoming. Most of its Black population works for the military and/or is retired military. Better physical shape, far lower murder rate, less stress. Blacks, nationally, die from stress-related issues more than other groups. I imagine than if you're a retired military person living in quiet Wyoming, not as much stress. And you mentioned lower suicide rate among Blacks. Whites in Wyoming have a high per capita rate of suicide, among the highest in the USA. High consumption of alcohol in Wyoming as a whole.

Utah, alcohol consumption is rare thanks to the Mormon Church. Use of cigarettes is a rarity too. Here is the thing about Utah's Black population. Suicide isn't very high among Mormons either. In a very fast growing state, the population has increased from 1,722,85 in 1990 to 3.2 million today. Blacks are around 32,000 strong in the state. Blacks are 2 percent of Salt Lake City's population. This means SLC has about 4,000 Blacks in it, for a city of 200,000 people over all. Utah has cities. However, the largest minority in those cities is Hispanic. If you look at a racial dot map of Salt Lake City, there aren't any Black-dominated neighborhoods in Utah by any stretch. Largest city after SLC is West Valley City, with close to 130,000 people. Provo is next with 112,000. None of those cities have Black populations higher than about 2 percent.

In Utah, South Salt Lake has the highest percentage of Blacks, at 8.3%. It's a suburb with a population of 24,366 people. Next on the list is Midvale, at 2.9 percent Black. Also a suburb. 30,229 people live there.

Ogden has a Black population around 2.3-2.4 percent. I suspect Hill Air Force Base has something to do with it.

I would think with part of the Black population working for the military, it might have the same effect as Wyoming. I wonder if very few Blacks are part of the Mormon Church could be part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or