U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 07:05 AM

9,013 posts, read 2,726,253 times

Advertisements

Actually, the example of Utah is a great case in point showing how important lifestyle is in determining longevity. The main difference between people in Utah, and people in West Virginia, is that Utah has tons of Mormons.

As an aside, there are also a lot of Mormons in some other western states (particularly Idaho), so I suspect that helps their longevity too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 07:14 AM

11,640 posts, read 3,186,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Actually, the example of Utah is a great case in point showing how important lifestyle is in determining longevity. The main difference between people in Utah, and people in West Virginia, is that Utah has tons of Mormons.

As an aside, there are also a lot of Mormons in some other western states (particularly Idaho), so I suspect that helps their longevity too.
And an individual, whether living in a 'blue state' or a 'red state', can make that decision to live a healthy lifestyle.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:28 AM

45,762 posts, read 34,009,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That's because all older people LEAVE to retire in states that offer fewer taxes, more freedom and better weather.

^ does not compute.

“ All older people LEAVE to retire in states that offer fewer taxes, more freedom and better weather”?

The senior migration rate is about 5 %. In other words, most older people age where planted.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:28 AM

47,969 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Quote:

Lifestyle is a big factor. Utah has a healthier lifestyle, heavily influenced by the Mormon Church. But it's just about Mormonism. Colorado, next door, Catholics are the largest denomination in the state. Mormons are a very small part of Colorado's population. Alcohol and marijuana are a thing in Colorado, but tobacco use is very low. Like Utah, Colorado has a very outdoorsy, active lifestyle. Colorado has one of the lowest rates of obesity in the USA. This contributes to high longevity.

It's not so much Mormonism, although it plays a big role for Utah. It's about the lifestyle and quality of life.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 AM

47,969 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
And an individual, whether living in a 'blue state' or a 'red state', can make that decision to live a healthy lifestyle.
That is true. Live a healthy lifestyle, and your longevity will increase. Keep away from cigarettes, stay active, limit the alcohol consumption, limit the junk food, eat healthy food, and you will live longer.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM

45,762 posts, read 34,009,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Most snowbirds are already retired and live in northern states for their primary home. They travel south for the winter usually during Jan-Feb-Mar before heading back north to their northern home state
Most 65 and older age in place. They cannot afford dual residences and/ or prefer where there families live and/ or prefer the known vs unknown.

“Snowbirds” have a tendency to create the perception they spend at least 6 months in say Florida, and do so to avoid state taxes.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:15 AM

9,013 posts, read 2,726,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Lifestyle is a big factor. Utah has a healthier lifestyle, heavily influenced by the Mormon Church. But it's just about Mormonism. Colorado, next door, Catholics are the largest denomination in the state. Mormons are a very small part of Colorado's population. Alcohol and marijuana are a thing in Colorado, but tobacco use is very low. Like Utah, Colorado has a very outdoorsy, active lifestyle. Colorado has one of the lowest rates of obesity in the USA. This contributes to high longevity.

It's not so much Mormonism, although it plays a big role for Utah. It's about the lifestyle and quality of life.
Yes, true.

I was reading a thread in the Colorado section of this forum recently, and it occurred to me that the high altitude of Colorado probably filters out a lot of unhealthy people. There were people in that thread noting that if you smoke you have a hard time breathing in the thin air, and sometimes smokers have to leave the state because of that (or quit smoking). I suspect it also filters out some obese people, who similarly have a hard time getting enough oxygen. There is also some evidence that altitude itself causes weight loss.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 AM

8,090 posts, read 4,709,979 times
Quote:
I was reading a thread in the Colorado section of this forum recently, and it occurred to me that the high altitude of Colorado probably filters out a lot of unhealthy people. There were people in that thread noting that if you smoke you have a hard time breathing in the thin air, and sometimes smokers have to leave the state because of that (or quit smoking). I suspect it also filters out some obese people, who similarly have a hard time getting enough oxygen. There is also some evidence that
Interesting, but I know a lot of people move to the "Mountain-West", because it is either a desert or the "high-plains", and allergies are less of a problem there.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,673 posts, read 10,828,629 times
Socioeconomic status and life expectancy have always been tied together wherever you live.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 AM

15,041 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Every single top 10 state in life expectancy is a blue state ...

Not surprising at all. They have both coasts with the millionaires and billionaires who can afford the best in medical treatment. Also, the red states have the really dangerous jobs in oil, mines, forestry, etc etc etc.
1. The percentage of people on the coasts who are billionaires, etc. is not large enough to move any needle of life expectancy. On the other hand, the educational institutions and hospitals and top doctors might....as well as accessible health care (MA, etc.).....

2. NY State has vast logging operations - so do purple Maine and PA and even VA and NC. So does the Pacific Northwest and N. California and many other such areas. I can't see this moving the needle either.

The metrics that determine "happiness" are generally higher in these blue or purple states - education, community, health care, access to better foods and services and the resulting higher incomes.

In MA, BTW, you can be dirt poor and go see virtually any doctor at the top hospitals (MGH, etc.) and you will also be operated on by the top surgeons. Even our resident "Libertarians" are given million of dollars worth of health care...when something happens to them.

I have never heard it spoken in MA "I would go to the doctor but I can't afford it". Not saying it doesn't happen, just that I never heard it. Here in Florida it's quite evident this is the case...AND, if you go to the doc or hospital "while poor" the results are likely to be less than positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or