U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-19-2019, 11:12 AM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 12 hours ago)
 
47,577 posts, read 45,256,057 times
Reputation: 15202

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They have more money and better insurance. As far as the poor, Republican NH governor is threatening to end Medicaid expansion in the state so poor people can be sick and die as much as poor in West Virginia. Much like Maine Gov. LePage did, until replaced with a dem governor. These purple states are volatile.
Wow. That is crazy. One thing I like about New Hampshire is the fact that guns are easy to get, and the crime rate is low. That would be the #1 state in New England I would choose to live in. However, if the governor is going that in New Hampshire, that isn't going to be good. What answer will he have when poor people start dying from illnesses that are otherwise treatable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2019, 11:19 AM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 12 hours ago)
 
47,577 posts, read 45,256,057 times
Reputation: 15202
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
To me, it looks like it's less politics and more related to wealth. Poor people don't have money for healthcare, rich people do. Simple as that.
Wealth, and lifestyle.

Someone who smokes lives a shorter life that someone who doesn't. A rich person will live a more painful old age if he/she smokes. A poor person will die younger from smoking thanks to lesser access to health care. Being middle or middle upper class is helpful. You have better access to resources such as good health care and better housing. However, having a good lifestyle will prolong your life too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 02:34 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 3 hours ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,050 posts, read 536,494 times
Reputation: 932
Quote:
I'll post again for you s-l-o-w-l-y: of 200 Democrats who were Dixicrats or voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, exactly ONE--Strom Thurmond--switched to the GOP. That is not 'individual politicians.' And it would seem to qualify as an 'overall trend' that evidently you don't want to talk about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Unbelievable. You are STILL harping about individual politicians when what I was clearly talking about was the broader movement of Southern democrats to the republican party.
I'll try this once again, even more S---L---O---W---L---Y.

200 politicos does NOT constitute 'individual politicians.' 200 hundred constitutes a LARGE group of politicos and a trend. I want some of what you've been smoking. No, on second thought, I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 12 hours ago)
 
47,577 posts, read 45,256,057 times
Reputation: 15202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I first saw people say that minorities have lower life expectancy, and then someone countered with only showing life expectancy for whites.

I say this is not enough, whites are not a homogenous group. What i mean by that is that you can't compare whites directly to get a good understanding of the policies of a state.
And then I went on and compared and contrasted life expectancy for Whites in between states. I mentioned that New Hampshire has a higher than average life expectancy for Whites, and I brought up West Virginia having the lowest life expectancy among Whites. I mentioned that states in the South with a low life expectancy among Blacks also have a low life expectancy among Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 02:43 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 3 hours ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,050 posts, read 536,494 times
Reputation: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
These were all southern dem segregationists; none were conservative. There were a handful in their ranks that could be called conservative such as James Eastland (D, MS), but the overwhelming majority were big gov't advocates--'liberals' in today's parlance.

Have you heard of the New Deal and Great Society? Pick up a history book sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Why do I have to repeat this? Yes, they were conservative, which is why they left the democratic party, which was increasingly liberal. Had those dixiecrats been liberal as you claim, they wouldn't have left the increasingly liberal democratic party!

Just because they liked some New Deal policies does not mean they weren't conservative. And the Great Society was one of the things that made them start fleeing the democrats in large numbers. Why? Because those dixiecrats were conservative, and the Great Society was a liberal policy.
The fly in the ointment for your theory is that the Great Society was enacted by LBJ in the early 1960s. The South did not become fully majority red until 1994. In other words, to believe your version, you have to believe that these southern segregationists opposed the Great Society, but then waited 30 years, to act on their opposition by leaving the Democratic party.

Again, I suggest you pick up a history book before posting any more troll threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 3 hours ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,050 posts, read 536,494 times
Reputation: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
They were ok with Roosevelt and Truman until Eisenhower and Kennedys and Johnson forced integration on them

There were GOP Republicans like Bush’s grandfather who hated Roosevelt and the New Deal and was anti Semetic enough to vote against allowing more Jews into the US

But the people of the South who you call Dixiecrats were against Democratic policies because Johnson called in enough votes to pass the Civil Rights legislation after Kennedy’s assassination
That killed the Democratic Party in the South—for most whites...

Johnson knew it —but he did it because he knew it was then or never
So he sacrificed 60 years of Democratic power in the South to achieve one of the most powerful laws in US history
One that is being gutted by GOP politics and gerrymandering/voter suppression
See above. The South did not become majority red until 1994. It was not because of JFK, who actually had a poor record on Civil Rights (just ask the ghost of Sammy Davis Jr, who was rejected by the JFK campaign because he was married to a white woman). It was not because of LBJ either.

The shift of the South from blue to red had much more to do with the changing economy than racial politics. This has been shown through extensive analysis of survey data in a book written by a pair of poli sci academics:

The End of Southern Exceptionalism by Shafer & Johnston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 03:36 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 3 hours ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,050 posts, read 536,494 times
Reputation: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
To me, it looks like it's less politics and more related to wealth. Poor people don't have money for healthcare, rich people do. Simple as that.
In the county where I live, lifespan varies dramatically according to zip code.
Life expectancy varies by up to 18 years in King County | Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation

Quote:
SEATTLE – Depending on where you live, your life may be cut short by nearly two decades compared to others in your community, according to new census tract-level health analysis of Seattle and King County.
So again, the red-blue divide claimed by OP is utter nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 06:41 PM
 
29,965 posts, read 47,150,315 times
Reputation: 15873
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
See above. The South did not become majority red until 1994. It was not because of JFK, who actually had a poor record on Civil Rights (just ask the ghost of Sammy Davis Jr, who was rejected by the JFK campaign because he was married to a white woman). It was not because of LBJ either.

The shift of the South from blue to red had much more to do with the changing economy than racial politics. This has been shown through extensive analysis of survey data in a book written by a pair of poli sci academics:

The End of Southern Exceptionalism by Shafer & Johnston
And while I don’t agree with most of what is in Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance—I think it is a pity party for people who rejected education for the most part in favor of sugar, drugs, and not taking personal responsibility

He does mention the squeezing of working class people in his part of the South and the difficult pressure on whites to maintain their standard of living...because of government policies—he just doesn’t attribute those to the real culprits...
The times were changing but the people—and more importantly to me—their governments were not changing
They were hidebound to follow the old ways of segregation and separation/suppression. So often times that meant wanting elections to be won by people w/o vision for a different future who yielded to voters who wanted to cling to the past...

It takes time for a national party to grow an infrastructure
It doesn’t happen overnight
It didn’t happen that fast when the Congress passed Civil Rights legislation
But note that after Johnson completed Kennedy’s partial second term, he ran once on his own and served 4 yrs...he was mired in the Vietnam War—
Humphrey lost to Nixon—
Nixon didn’t care about Civil Rights
He didn’t work to enforce the laws in the South that were ignored
And the Republican Party got stronger
Nixon had an aborted 2nd term—Ford filled in—
He was a nebbish
Carter beat him but had only one term—lost to Pappy Bush
Stronger GOP—this is when the Fairness Doctrine is cut by the FCC—which had a strong influence on the marketing of conservative ideas in the South because of the scarcity of balanced media outlets...

Bush’s second term is foiled by Clinton who runs successfully for 2nd term but he is hated by the GOP that is making strong inroads in the South—Newt Gingrich and the rise of his brand of take-no-prisoner politics
And the involvement of the John Birch Society—which began in the North but had chapters in the Middle and Southern states and fought against the Civil Rights legislation
In the 70s membership peaked but the far-right John Birch Society was making itself felt and serving as the cultivator of the conservative GOP brand...

This is from the Wikipedia article on John Birch Society:
Although membership numbers are kept private, the JBS has reported a resurgence of members during the Trump administration, specifically in Texas. The organization's goals in Texas include opposition to the UN's Agenda 21 based on a conspiracy theory that it will "establish control over all human activity", and opposition to a bill that would allow undocumented migrants to pay in-state tuition for Texas state colleges.[82]

The John Birch Society has increasingly been linked to Donald Trump by political commentators such as Jeet Heer of The New Republic, who said Trumpism is really Bircherism. [11] According to Politico, Trump's lawyer and mentor Roy Cohn was deeply involved with the Society and its leaders.[73]

Trump confidante and longtime advisor Roger Stone said that Trump's father Fred Trump was a financier of the Society and a personal friend of founder Robert Welch.[83] Trump's Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney was the speaker at the John Birch Society's National Council dinner shortly before joining the Trump administration.[84]

U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R, Kentucky), widely reported to be one of Trump's top advisors on foreign policy, is also tied to the John Birch Society.[85] The senator's father, former Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas), has had a long and very close relationship with the Society, celebrating its work in his 2008 keynote speech at the John Birch Society 50th anniversary event and saying that it was leading the fight to restore freedom.[86]

The keynote speaker at the group's 60th anniversary celebration was Congressman Thomas Massie (R-Kentucky.), who maintains a near-perfect score on the Society's "Freedom Index" ranking of members of Congress.[87] Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who hosted Trump on his Infowars radio show and claims to have a personal relationship with the president, called Trump a "John Birch Society president"[88] and previously claimed Trump was "more John Birch Society than the John Birch Society."[89]

Last edited by loves2read; 04-19-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:20 PM
 
51,651 posts, read 41,606,703 times
Reputation: 32266
Can we just let this "analysis" die.

Every single one of these red vs. blue state threads are just a sad reminder of the education levels in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
27,184 posts, read 17,510,541 times
Reputation: 15393
Every single top 10 state in life expectancy is a blue state ...

And still, liberals would rather spend money on illegals than American citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top