U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 07:35 PM

8,944 posts, read 2,686,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And for those who claim "liberals are the real racists", the term "conservative" needs to be understood as it is. Conservative means "to conserve". One is trying to keep something in place. But what is it that is being kept in place? For the South, it was a very racist social order of the time. I agree with you that this makes southern Democrats conservatives of their time. This also shows that conservative and Republican weren't always synonymous.
Yup, that's pretty much the dictionary definition I gave below. Some people in this thread don't appear to like dictionaries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Merriam-Webster definition of conservatism
Quote:
: disposition in politics to preserve what is established
: a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change
: the tendency to prefer an existing or traditional situation to change
-- Segregationists wanted to preserve the cultural/institutional status quo of Southern segregation, a practice which went back to the Civil War (and prior to the Civil War, existed in an even stronger form in the institution of slavery). Eliminating segregation would eliminate this hundreds-years-old arrangement. This is why segregation was a conservative policy, and those wanting to preserve segregation were conservatives: They were seeking to preserve a hundreds-year-old societal arrangement.
-- The Somali Islamists are actually not much different. Islamic society in the Middle East for centuries had consisted of state governments run by theocracies, at least until modern times. Those promoting Islamic theocracies in the Middle East, thus, are also conservatives, because they want to return to an ancient form of government.
-- As for the limited government thing, that, too, is a conservative issue (in a US context, of course) because conservatives feel that limited government was how the US started out. Thus, the Reagan or Ted Cruz flavors of conservatism were also, well, conservative. It is a desire to preserve (or return to) a form of government from times in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,913,338 times
wait, did a guy from missouri start this thread?

Old 04-25-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
wait, did a guy from missouri start this thread?
Yes. Though I'm originally from NJ and until recently spent 28 years in Washington state. And no, I am most certainly NOT defending my new, adopted state in this matter.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,913,338 times
Quote:
Yes. Though I'm originally from NJ and until recently spent 28 years in Washington state. And no, I am most certainly NOT defending my new, adopted state in this matter.
well something brought you there. it obviously has something NJ and washington state could not offer. enlighten us.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
well something brought you there. it obviously has something NJ and washington state could not offer. enlighten us.
I got bored of the weather in Seattle. Am a bit of a weather junkie. Midwest has the most interesting weather in the whole nation. Blizzards, hairy thunderstorms, you name it.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 AM

20,338 posts, read 13,847,660 times
Quote:
... and every single bottom 10 state in life expectancy is a red state.

And the much-hated California is #2.

Where you live in America determines when you’ll die

Below is the top 10:

You can complain about high taxes, high prices, large numbers of homeless, illegal immigrants or whatever else you want about the blue states, but there are few indicators that are a better gauge of the well-being of the population than life expectancy. And in that category, blue states stand head-and-shoulders above the red states.

There are some red states in the Plains and Rocky Mountains that do pretty well, but they still aren't as good as the top 10 blue states.

I had a sinus infection last week, and then these two homeless, illegal aliens, collecting welfare, parked their RV down the street, and started piling up garbage, and my infection just went away.

A co-worker of mine who has second stage cancer, was watching the Bernie Sanders town hall on FNC. He said he found himself nodding his head a few times, and now he's cancer free.

So yeah, it's no joke. Believing in Utopian ideas and/or collecting free government cheese really does cure disease, and extends your life expectancy.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:49 AM

26,324 posts, read 18,938,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
who cares. why would you want to live longer in new jersey....that seems like a punishment
lol, i was about to say...

Old 04-26-2019, 08:37 AM

94 posts, read 15,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Only partially correct...look at post 206 for the link but Latinos on average live significantly longer than whites in the USA. Blacks live significantly less long than whites and especially Latinos and Asians. My daughter in law's grandfather emigrated from Mexico after going through Stanford with an Engineering degree and is now 97 years of age and still going.
true, latinos live the longest, its called the Hispanic paradox, how latinos live longer than whites with half the income?

Old 04-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 7 days ago)

47,706 posts, read 45,328,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Funny thing, the anti-slavery Republicans of the civil-war and post-civil war era were labeled 'liberals.' But politically they were close to today's libertarians. They favored small government and open commerce. They opposed the massive 'infrastructure' spending schemes of the day (mainly having to do with rail).

Those who wanted to maintain white supremacy were indeed labeled as 'conservative,' and were mostly Democrats. Fast forward to around 1980 and the labels were exactly reversed--conservatives favored small gov't and individualism, and 'liberals' favored the reverse, at least as the terms are now used in common political parlance. This is documented in The Republic for which it stands by Stanford historian Richard White, which covers the post-war to about 1900 US history.

OP loves to play disingenuous semantic games by constantly shifting definitions of 'liberal' and 'conservative.'
If you were for the abolition of slavery in those days, you would be considered a liberal. Why? Because it would be getting rid of, not preserving, the institution of slavery. Republicans would have not been considered conservatives in those days.

And yes, the southern Democrats would have been considered conservatives in the 1860s and into the early 20th century. You should think about what the definition of conservative is. "Conservative" depends on what you are trying to conserve, to keep around.

And this is the thing. I came to show it really doesn't matter who is in charge. Republicans are in charge of Mississippi. They're in charge of Idaho. Life expectancy for both Blacks and Whites in Idaho is far higher than in Mississippi. A better question is this. What's up with Mississippi (or rather the South over all)?

Old 04-26-2019, 01:25 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 7 days ago)

47,706 posts, read 45,328,902 times
Quote:
Yup, that's pretty much the dictionary definition I gave below. Some people in this thread don't appear to like dictionaries.
And what is considered conservative (as far as political positions) varies over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or