U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2019, 04:56 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 14 days ago)
 
48,217 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Reputation: 15344

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
true, latinos live the longest, its called the Hispanic paradox, how latinos live longer than whites with half the income?
My theory is a lower suicide rate. I also think about this. I remember being in an apartment complex where there were alot of Hispanics. It seemed like they took care of each other. There were certainly low income individuals, but you never heard about anyone going hungry or being unable to pay the rent. I work in the city of Atlanta. I have never seen a homeless Hispanic person. Plenty of homeless Black people, especially homeless Black men. I've run across some homeless White people as well. But even where there are alot of Hispanic persons, I've never seen a homeless Hispanic person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,348 posts, read 589,823 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You are possibly the only person in the world who thinks Southern democrats prior to about 1970 were liberal (and BTW, the reason a liberal like Adlai Stevenson would pick a Southerner for his VP would be to balance the ticket and add a conservative VP to balance the liberal POTUS candidate. I literally can't believe I have to explain that as well! ). And since democrats before that time dominated Southern politics, by default you think Southerners in general were liberal, completely contrary to every indication of American history. It is completely your own fantasy. I've demonstrated a million times so far that they (the multitudes of voting Southern democrats, not your cherry-picked individual politicians) LEFT the democrats because the democrats became TOO LIBERAL. It's unbelievable I even have to say that! I mean, you yourself said:

So, if the South was solidly blue back then, by your completely counter-historical perspective, the South was solidly liberal back then. Which, once again, completely contradicts every known fact of American history.

At this point you're just flat-out lying because I already gave a dictionary definition that I agreed with:

It appears you're too lazy to read the definition I gave because it gives you an excuse to claim that I keep changing my definition of "conservative" - even though I've only given one definition!
I'm giving you specifics--names and dates. You reply back with nebulous accusations and rants ("completely contrary to every indication of American history" (what does that even mean)).

You seem to think that interspersing the 'smack' emoticon proves your point. It does not. You lose this debate. The Southern Segregationist democrats were liberals by today's parlance. They were New Dealers and supporters of LBJ's 'Great Society' (other than the CRA 1964). Hell, LBJ was one of them. He consistently opposed federal anti-lynching bills, and as Senate leader, watered down the 1957 CRA to the point where it was a nullity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
9,013 posts, read 2,738,961 times
Reputation: 6945
The topic is about life expectancy. The political stances of individual politicians are irrelevant to the life expectancy of large populations. The beliefs and lifestyles of those large populations, on the other hand, may have some bearing on their life expectancy. If a large portion of a certain population believes that smoking is no big deal for your health, for example, then that will become evident in life expectancy statistics of that population. The political stances of some Politician X are irrelevant, but because you don't want to talk about the beliefs of large segments of the population, you keep changing the topic by bringing them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 05:34 PM
Status: "think locally, act yokelly." (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Clyde Hill, WA
3,348 posts, read 589,823 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The topic is about life expectancy. The political stances of individual politicians are irrelevant to the life expectancy of large populations. The beliefs and lifestyles of those large populations, on the other hand, may have some bearing on their life expectancy. If a large portion of a certain population believes that smoking is no big deal for your health, for example, then that will become evident in life expectancy statistics of that population. The political stances of some Politician X are irrelevant, but because you don't want to talk about the beliefs of large segments of the population, you keep changing the topic by bringing them up.
LOL, then why did you put 'blue state' in the thread title? Was post #1 off topic???? Perhaps you finally have a point, 41 pages later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 06:12 PM
 
15,314 posts, read 4,040,543 times
Reputation: 11041
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
LOL, then why did you put 'blue state' in the thread title? Was post #1 off topic???? Perhaps you finally have a point, 41 pages later.
Ok, let's use "progressive and educated states" have longer lifespans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Squirrel Tree
1,201 posts, read 269,864 times
Reputation: 483
Growing up in NYC, my experience of healthcare has always been horrible. 6 hour waits in public clinics, incompetence, long lines and chaos. I have never been to a doctor for non required purposes, such as a dermatologist or a diet doctor, and can't imagine doing so like people in California or whatever.

I can't imagine that our healthcare system is making people live longer than in states with more sane economics. The one thing that I can think of that may cause this is the high levels of inequality.

So many people I've known, have died young. Yet rich people here seem to live forever. I was raised to consider entire swathes of the city "nonresidential" because they were not for my socioeconomic class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top