Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 06:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
who cares. why would you want to live longer in new jersey....that seems like a punishment
The New Jersey on FOX News:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...NJIndustry.JPG

The New Jersey for most people who live there:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._the_sea_3.JPG

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...to_Collage.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Water_Gap.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...inceton%29.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 06:53 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Yup, I grew up in NJ. Most of it is really nice suburbs, the dumpy areas are a small part of it.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
It is typical of OP. IIRC his last major thread tried to say that countries like Yemen and Iran were 'conservative,' i.e. red countries (so to speak).
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...es-2019-a.html

Oh well, it can sometimes be entertaining to kill time by killing idiocy.
It's really funny watching people try to blame me for posting a list that somebody else devised.

But yes, those countries ARE conservative. I'm sorry if you're offended by being lumped in with them. Not my fault.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
For those of you reading this thread and trying to learn how to abuse statistics here is a good example.

They expanded the scope past 20 years and then selectively cut it off at 1988 to cherry pick the observation period.

All that to try to convince everyone that Iowa is a "blue state" despite handing Trump a 10 point win over Hillary just 2 years ago.

Oh well, the poster is at least trying....trying to be as Trump-like as possible with the truth.
It would appear that Mathguy is challenged .. well, at math.

I already addressed your objection. 7 is better than 1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If I am cherry-picking, I'm afraid you are also cherry picking.

Your choice of the last 1 elections is just as arbitrary as my choosing the last 7 elections.

But the problem with choosing just 1 election (even if it's the most recent) is that, you don't know if it's an outlier or not. If you choose several elections, without going back so far that you've dipped into ancient history, you get a good sample. 1 election is not a good sample. 7 is better.

If Iowa goes red in each of the next couple elections, I will concede it has "gone red." In the meantime it remains blue.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:00 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What's up with Denmark at #47??
Danes like to party

Old 04-15-2019, 07:02 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
Quote:
It's really funny watching people try to blame me for posting a list that somebody else devised.

But yes, those countries ARE conservative. I'm sorry if you're offended by being lumped in with them. Not my fault.
OK, so you are not responsible for your own posts. Got it. Is that a conservative, or a liberal position???

Old 04-15-2019, 07:04 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Looking at the map and list in my OP, the only southern state that appears to have a high-ish life expectancy, and that also is a retirement haven, is Florida. But, Florida is purple, not red. Arizona is also OK, but it, too, is purple these days.

Thus, your objection more or less proved my original point. Even the warmer states that have higher life expectancies, tend to be more purple, not red.
Again... your assertion is weather... weather isn't politics nor cares. You conveniently left out Texas and New Mexico. You are seeing political lines where none exist. Regardless.. there is no correlation much less causation. There are also popular retirement states that are in colder climates.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
OK, so you are not responsible for your own posts. Got it. Is that a conservative, or a liberal position???
I am responsible for my own posts. But when I post somebody else's list, that list is somebody else's, and I'm just reporting it.

If I posted today's MLB American League standings, would I be responsible for making up those standings?

No. I would just be reporting them. The list is not mine.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:09 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
I was actually responding to Rakin's post below:
You originally quoted my post.

Quote:

The main reason why people move out of states like NY and IL when they get older is because those are northern, cold, snowy states, and old people tend to dislike cold weather more and more as they get older. Which is why FL and AZ are retirement havens. I thought this was common knowledge, but I guess Rakin isn't up to date on some common knowledge. But yes, I agree that has nothing to do with politics (or, life expectancy for the matter) and everything to do with climate and the tendency of older people to tolerate cold less as they get older.
https://www.investopedia.com/article...-retire-us.asp

Again.. unless you consider Maine and Vermont warm... your assertion isn't holding.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You originally quoted my post.
No, you are wrong. The first post where I mentioned that was post #52 which was in response to Rakin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies