Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 01:46 AM

29,940 posts, read 18,764,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Genetics.

Blacks & Hispanics (on avg) don't live as long as Caucasians.
Also, lots of older folks flock to states like CA and Hawaii for the good weather when they're older.
CA and Hawaii also have a much higher percentage of east Asians, and east Asians on avg tend to live longer than any other racial group.
Only partially correct...look at post 206 for the link but Latinos on average live significantly longer than whites in the USA. Blacks live significantly less long than whites and especially Latinos and Asians. My daughter in law's grandfather emigrated from Mexico after going through Stanford with an Engineering degree and is now 97 years of age and still going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 06:41 AM

72,834 posts, read 62,219,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I don't know the answer to this question - but Minnesota has a rather different demographic makeup among all racial groups than most of the country. The black population includes a large share of East Africans and fewer who have been in the US for several generations; much of the Asian population are of Hmong and Laotian ethnic backgrounds, who were highly impoverished in their homeland; and whites are much more heavily Scandinavian and German, with fewer having British Isles or Mediterranean heritage.

Some of the data for subgroups with small populations (e.g. blacks in Wyoming) may also be unreliable with a high margin of error. That entire population group could be smaller than a typical zip code in a metropolitan area. Thus, it may be best not to try to draw conclusions at a very detailed level. But as far as the premise of this thread, yes it is fair to say that there is a correlation for longer life expectancy with states that voted Democratic in 2016, and that holds among key racial groups as well.
That is part of my theory with Minnesota. Alot of East Africans have moved there. Generally, a lower murder rate, healthier eating, families taking care of each other more, and the lesser likelihood of living in the ghetto. Blacks aren't just living in the Twin Cities. Rochester, St. Cloud, Duluth,etc.

Whites in Minnesota rank above average in terms of education, life expectancy, and having a higher quality of life. One thing I do know about Scandinavian immigration is this. Sweden and Norway were impoverished countries when immigrants were coming from those countries. I think the emphasis on stronger social service and a stable economy has helped Minnesota.

And for Asians in Minnesota, one thing that needs to be considered is that "Asian" consists of many different ethnic groups. Japanese-Americans in Hawaii and California are doing better economically than Hmong immigrants in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Connecticut has large portions of its population who come from Mediterranean stock and from the British Isles. Connecticut ranks high in terms of life expectancy. Same goes for New York.

This is my theory about Wyoming. Wyoming has very few Blacks. However, a large part of the Black population works for the military or is retired military from what I've heard. Are there many African Americans in Cheyenne?

Something about the military, being in better physical shape, not being around the ghetto, that is a factor.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickCMC View Post
Yeah

Lol, conservatives have more money? Is that why all the poorest states in the US always vote red? States like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Kentucky always vote Republican.
The poorest in all of those states vote as a block for Democrats. Today, the rich and poor are Democrats and the Middle Class are Republicans (not everyone but generally true.) If you know about who voted for Trump and Hillary, the average Trump voter made more than the average Hillary voter.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Care to show me those statistics that show Trump voters made more? More college educated people voted for Hillary and we know educated people make more money than non-educated.
I would prefer you remain deluded....but there are plenty of articles that would tell you that if you actually were curious.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I agree with everything you posted....diet choices, obesity, cancer and exposure to cancer causing elements as well as drug addiction and related suicide are the key factors whether black, white, Asian, Hispanic, Republican or Democrat.

Personally I am 10% bodyfat, perfect BMI range, and eat a healthy diet but I haven't always done that in the past and I have been exposed to chemicals in various countries as I worked in petrochem industry for years.
West Virginia and Kentucky struggle with those problems. One reason the life expectancy so so low compared to other states, for most demographics.

I try and be healthy. I've had ups and downs in my health. I do alot of cycling.

Interesting that you mention the petrochemical industry. This might explain the relatively low life expectancy in Louisiana and Oklahoma. Louisiana is home to "Cancer Alley". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Alley

Old 04-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
West Virginia and Kentucky struggle with those problems. One reason the life expectancy so so low compared to other states, for most demographics.

I try and be healthy. I've had ups and downs in my health. I do alot of cycling.

Interesting that you mention the petrochemical industry. This might explain the relatively low life expectancy in Louisiana and Oklahoma. Louisiana is home to "Cancer Alley". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_Alley
The petrochem industry and workers are a factor in high cancer rates but underground miners and black lung is a more direct correlation in lower lifespan in West Virginia and Kentucky without a doubt. I worked about 10 years in Azerbaijan, China, Mongolia, Saudi and Kuwait which all had terrible air quality....part of the reason I feel the need to eat very healthy and maintain an ideal weight and daily work on conditioning.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:00 AM

77,898 posts, read 60,031,380 times
Quote:
Yeah

Lol, conservatives have more money? Is that why all the poorest states in the US always vote red? States like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Kentucky always vote Republican.
You're assuming that there is no correlation and that if a state is republican that everyone in the state has an equal chance of voting republican regardless of wealth, race etc.

You really think that if I randomly picked 100 black voters in Alabama that something like 60% or so of them are republicans? (I picked an example I hope clearly explains the concept)

Old 04-17-2019, 08:11 AM

77,898 posts, read 60,031,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

The keys to identifying significant mortality differences is to first spot which ones have the greatest impact to the numbers.

For example, infant mortality has an obviously huge impact.
Drivers: Poor medical care, bad parental habits (drugs etc.), less abortion selection for babies with notable in-utero defects etc.

Another would be young people and that would be things like car accidents, homicides etc.
Just as one example, rural states have much higher death rates for young people from accidents because they occur at higher rates of speed than in urban areas and there is a greater distance of travel both to accident scenes and then back to trauma centers. Going off the road at 80mph in rural Texas and hitting a pole vs. doing that in Metro Chicago at 50mph and then having it take an hour for medical help to arrive and another hour to reach a trauma center vs. 10 minutes each way has decidedly different average outcomes.

I have a number of family members with poor health habits and they're still able to stay alive past 70 with medications etc.

Takes only a couple dead infants and teenagers to drag an average wayyy down as opposed to people with poor health choices dropping dead at 70 instead of making it to 85.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Medicaid expansion is pretty recent. The gap was there long before the ACA. And most "red-states" have medicaid expansion.

The states green_mariner referred to about blacks living longer than whites, South Dakota and Wyoming, don't have medicaid expansion. But Utah basically does, and so does West Virginia.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...e=1&p=54959231

I do think there is a connection between life-expectancy and left-wing policies, but it isn't welfare programs, it is differences in lifestyle.
I have my own theories. South Dakota and Wyoming are red states, while Minnesota and New Hampshire are blue states(ironically, NH has a GOP governor). Wyoming's Black population is heavily associated with the military. Furthermore more, Blacks in Wyoming, on average, make more money than Whites.

My theory about South Dakota: South Dakota's African-American population, like that of Wyoming, tends to have some association with the U.S. military (Ellsworth AFB is near Rapid City). Another factor is the relatively large amount of African immigrants in South Dakota, especially around Sioux Falls. I notice African immigrants have healthier diets, and are less likely to deal with violent crime than American-born Blacks. Black American are the nation's #1 murder victim.

Minnesota, many African immigrants living there. And African-Americans are becoming more and more suburbanized in Minnesota, not to mention going to other places like Mankato, Rochester,etc.

Lifestyle helps alot. Utah has an outdoorsy lifestyle. "Best snow on Earth" for those who like to ski. Soccer and basketball are popular in the Salt Lake City area. Drinking and smoking are rare in Utah thanks to the Mormon Church. Stronger families in Utah. Generally a healthier lifestyle in Utah. The one thing holding Utah back is the air pollution in the SLC area. When an inversion takes place in the valley, pollution levels soar.

Contrast this with Arkansas, where the violent crime rate is among the highest in the nation(not only Little Rock, Pine Bluff is bad too). Arkansas has one of the highest rates of smoking in the USA. The diet in Arkansas is not much different from the rest of the South.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The keys to identifying significant mortality differences is to first spot which ones have the greatest impact to the numbers.

For example, infant mortality has an obviously huge impact.
Drivers: Poor medical care, bad parental habits (drugs etc.), less abortion selection for babies with notable in-utero defects etc.

Another would be young people and that would be things like car accidents, homicides etc.
Just as one example, rural states have much higher death rates for young people from accidents because they occur at higher rates of speed than in urban areas and there is a greater distance of travel both to accident scenes and then back to trauma centers. Going off the road at 80mph in rural Texas and hitting a pole vs. doing that in Metro Chicago at 50mph and then having it take an hour for medical help to arrive and another hour to reach a trauma center vs. 10 minutes each way has decidedly different average outcomes.

I have a number of family members with poor health habits and they're still able to stay alive past 70 with medications etc.

Takes only a couple dead infants and teenagers to drag an average wayyy down as opposed to people with poor health choices dropping dead at 70 instead of making it to 85.
Infant mortality often depends on the factors around a person. Now, I don't endorse abortion at all, so I will just leave it at that. But I do agree that drug use, smoking, drinking, and poor medical care will increase the infant mortality rate. Utah has some of the strictest abortion laws in the land. Utah has a low infant mortality rate. Mormon Church plays a big role in that. Since drinking and smoking are basically forbidden, that rules out alot of unhealthy habits. In Utah, babies are far more likely to be born IN WEDLOCK. It's basically a sin to get pregnant before marriage. Married couples, on average,, are less poor than single mothers. Better access to medical care. Generally, being cared for alot more and having healthy habits makes for a low infant mortality rate.

Contrast with Louisiana, where violent crime is a big problem. Cancer Alley in Louisiana has alot of pollution from the petrochemical industry. And I have to take the "L" on this one. Black Americans are more likely to get abortion than any other group. And yet, the infant mortality rate among Black Americans is higher than for anyone else. Factors to consider include poor access to good health care, bad diet, exposure to pollution (predominantly Black neighborhoods have a higher likelihood of being in heavily polluted parts of cities), high levels of stress.

Interesting that you brought up homicide. Oklahoma has a low life expectancy for Blacks, one of the lowest in the nation. Oklahoma has one of the highest Black homicide rates in the nation. Oklahoma is as red as they come in terms of politics. Nebraska is a high Black homicide rate. Nebraska's Black population not only has a relatively low life expectancy (not as low as Oklahoma though), it has one of the widest gaps in Black/White life expectancy. Whites in Nebraska, on average, live 6.1 years longer than Blacks. Only Rhode Island has a wider gap, with Whites living 8.1 years longer than Blacks.

Another factor can be if a city's EMT's are functioning properly. Michigan has a high Black homicide rate. Much of it can be blamed on Detroit. Detroit has poorly functioning city services, included emergency vehicles. It's often not just a matter of getting shot. It's not just car accidents. It's response times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies