Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 07:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

I've never seen the forum address this in general.

For those that don't know (I had a family member and three friends who worked for HRA), Hasa is a welfare program that gives HIV+ people something like a housing voucher for 1500 a month, 330 in cash assistance, something like 200 in food stamps, and maybe with other benefits.

I think giving people HIV+ welfare indefinitely when they are capable of working is wrong a waste of taxpayer money. Yet I see posts of people asking for referrals for this on this forum, yet I never actually hear the forum discuss on whether this program should exist or not.

I'm all for taxpayer assisted healthcare for EVERYONE. I have no problem with welfare helping people get on their feet. It's there for that.

But to never have to work in your life due to a TREATABLE disease?

No. That's simply WRONG and ABUSE of the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 08:01 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Agreed.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:11 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:

For those that don't know (I had a family member and three friends who worked for HRA), Hasa is a welfare program that gives HIV+ people something like a housing voucher for 1500 a month, 330 in cash assistance, something like 200 in food stamps, and maybe with other benefits.

I think giving people HIV+ welfare indefinitely when they are capable of working is wrong a waste of taxpayer money. Yet I see posts of people asking for referrals for this on this forum, yet I never actually hear the forum discuss on whether this program should exist or not.

I'm all for taxpayer assisted healthcare for EVERYONE. I have no problem with welfare helping people get on their feet. It's there for that.

Giving benefits to anyone who is capable of working is a waste of taxpayer money. Why don’t you just leave it at that? Why single out people with HIV and what difference does it make ?

Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Giving benefits to anyone who is capable of working is a waste of taxpayer money. Why don’t you just leave it at that? Why single out people with HIV and what difference does it make ?
I am not singling out people with HIV. There's a special program called HASA in NYC with gives that population lifelong welfare even when people are physically fit.

There is no program that gives people lifelong welfare quite like this, without enabling them to work at all. Even for Section 8 one must either be disabled (have SSI or SSDI going on) or one has to be low income from a JOB.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
I am not singling out people with HIV. There's a special program called HASA in NYC with gives that population lifelong welfare even when people are physically fit.

There is no program that gives people lifelong welfare quite like this, without enabling them to work at all. Even for Section 8 one must either be disabled (have SSI or SSDI going on) or one has to be low income from a JOB.
For many people HIV is still a totally debilitating illness that leads to early death. It is not a manageable chronic illness for everyone. The program was probably started when it was a death sentence for all and is now being abused just like every other program. You should work against the widespread abuse of all programs , not just this one.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:38 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
for the second time

listen to me and listen good

Writer’s rhetoric is alternative fact based

HASA APARTMENTS ARE NOT FREE FOR LIFE

HASA people have to pay 30% of their income to their landlord because it’s a rental subsidy

end of story

Old 04-14-2019, 08:42 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:

Yes.

ALL people should have health care. The most vulnerable among us, should receive housing and food assistance.

Health care is a universal right, not a privilege.

I do hope that you are not jealous of people living with HIV. That would be very sad.

Weather or not they are able to work should be between their Dr. and them. Not you. And not some insurance company.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:44 PM

983 posts, read 931,103 times
No, but they (and everyone) should get access to affordable (ACTUALLY affordable) or free government-subsidized healthcare.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:18 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
you voted for deblasio

if he sees this post, he'll do it

Old 04-14-2019, 09:55 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
You can’t get hasa unless your hiv is really severe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of: