Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:46 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
This time it's different. Robots will be able to fix and produce themselves. A tractor couldn't do that.
"This time it's different". It always is, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
"This time it's different". It always is, isn't it?
Well it really is, AI, and not just any AI, but machine learning is a big game changer..

Old 04-14-2019, 11:58 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Let me know when the first robocop rolls off the assembly line. Or when Precrime is set up at some government bunker.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:15 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
It's not semi-literate peasants who are taking your jobs, people. It's machines, owned and operated by the billionaires you idolize. The "job creators," I think you've been trained to call them.
As another poster said, it is both. But you are right, the billionaire/job-creator worship needs to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
You're at war, Americans. You're in the middle of a full-scale class war, and most of you aren't smart enough to understand it. And you will lose, because you're not even smart enough to understand who the enemy is.
I wouldn't call it a war, but the vast-majority of Americans are definitely losing, and they are incredibly-stupid.

Quote:
Not much will get done in response to what automation is doing to the economy until it brings on a Great Depression. It will be caused by so many people getting laid off by automation that they they won't be able to afford the many products and services automation puts out. You can't walk in a store, just use your phone to grab everything you want and walk out without having money in the bank or sufficient credit. When automation brings on a Great Depression, a lot more people will want to talk seriously about starting a Universal Basic Income to overcome it.
I agree with your last point about UBI, but I don't think we will get to Great-Depression levels before it happens. The entire welfare-state is just Keynesian multiplier/stimulus economics. UBI is no different than food stamps, housing-assistance, social-security, medicare, etc. Except that those others are targeted-spending, while UBI is just a general market stimulus.

UBI was originally presented as a "negative income-tax" which would replace the complicated bureaucracies of the various government programs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax

But I think they would rather raise the minimum-wage, expand targeted benefits, and increase the earned-income tax credit before they have to resort to UBI. You're talking at least another decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
lol - the Luddites have been wrong about the evils of automation in the work place for at least 200 years.
The Luddites weren't wrong at all. Machines have definitely been an evil. They have completely disrupted and displaced society, and worsened inequality. But they have also made us materially-richer.

Technology will continue to improve in the future. But I think the material-benefits of industrialism will likely slow down, and may even reverse in a few decades, because of limited-resources, overpopulation, and environmental concerns.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:21 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
Before the industrial age, poor farmers were 90% of the population, and probably will be again after.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
This time it's different. Robots will be able to fix and produce themselves. A tractor couldn't do that.
We are still many years away from humanoid, bipedal robots, that can perform all sorts of tasks better than humans can.

Even when those are fully functional, I doubt it will be a huge change, Govt still relies on all the middle class people to go to work everyday,pay their taxes, spend their money, borrow money from banks, etc etc.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:34 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
So, if "automation is taking jobs from Americans"-just why in the F are we importing 100,000 unskilled, uneducated "migrants" every month? We sure as hell don't need them to do jobs...that can be done by automation.

Now, the OP and others are promoting the same "the sky is falling" panic concerning automation and robotics that I've been hearing since high school-in the 1970s. The greater the degree we implement automation-the more demand there is for highly skilled workers. Those that design, build, operate and service that automation. Automation makes high-labor rate nations competitive in the manufacturing field. Perhaps more important-in developed nations with a low replacement birth rate and aging population-automation provides "services" that otherwise might not be possible.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:38 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
I say we put the robots and the illegals in a stadium together and have them fight to the death for our amusement. Winner gets our jobs.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:42 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Maybe "Learn to code" wasn't such an insult after all.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Maybe "Learn to code" wasn't such an insult after all.
For awhile anyway...until humans are no longer needed to write code though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies