Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 06:18 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And many people believe abortion is a right.

Fact is when the Constitution was written abortion was common and legal and the founding fathers must have been good with that since they failed to address it.

So, it is fair to assume the Constitution is pro-choice.
The Constitution was not pro-choice from 1787 till 1973. It became pro-choice because left-wingers stacked the Supreme Court during the progressive-era.

If Trump stays till 2024, and replaces old lefty Ginsburg with another Antonin Scalia, the Constitution would cease to be pro-choice.

The same thing goes for same-sex marriage. It was also illegal for more than two centuries. What changed? Not the law, not the Constitution, only the Supreme Court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 06:28 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How about we just start with comprehending the Hyde Amendment?
How about you just understand?

Are American Taxpayers Paying For Abortion?

As best I can determine, taxpayers subsidize roughly 24% of all abortion costs in the U.S. with 6.6% borne by federal taxpayers and the remaining 17.4% picked up by state taxpayers. If we apply the 24% figure to the total number of abortions, this is equivalent to taxpayers paying the full cost of 250,000 abortions a year, with about 70,000 financed by federal taxpayers and 180,000 financed by state taxpayers.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:31 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The Constitution was not pro-choice from 1787 till 1973. It became pro-choice because left-wingers stacked the Supreme Court during the progressive-era.

If Trump stays till 2024, and replaces old lefty Ginsburg with another Antonin Scalia, the Constitution would cease to be pro-choice.

The same thing goes for same-sex marriage. It was also illegal for more than two centuries. What changed? Not the law, not the Constitution, only the Supreme Court.
No.

Abortion didn't start to be made illegal until the 1880's, before that when the Constitution was written and signed abortion was legal. Abortion was legal for over 100 years under the Constitution before the original intent began to be subverted in the late 1880's.

Since the Constitution did not address the fact that abortion was legal they undoubtedly considered having an abortion was not unconstitutional.

The Supreme Court is supposed to decipher the intent of the Constitution and Roe v Wade simply solidified the obvious intent of the Constitution.

If the Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade that would signal that it is OK to change other parts of the Constitution too. Next up, changing and updating the right to own guns. Really want to go there?

Setting a precedent, beware of unintended consequences.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Abortion didn't start to be made illegal until the 1880's, before that when the Constitution was written and signed abortion was legal. Abortion was legal for over 100 years under the Constitution before the original intent began to be subverted in the late 1880's.
If abortion was actually legal prior to 1880(which I highly doubt it), it would have been a democratic choice decided by the people, through their state's legislature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aborti...States#History

Quote:
Since the Constitution did not address the fact that abortion was legal they undoubtedly considered having an abortion was not unconstitutional.
I never claimed having an abortion was unconstitutional. I only claimed that laws prohibiting abortion were not unconstitutional.

Quote:
The Supreme Court is supposed to decipher the intent of the Constitution and Roe v Wade simply solidified the obvious intent of the Constitution.
Let me ask you, had the Supreme Court ruled on abortion in say, the year 1800. Do you honestly believe that that Supreme Court would have ruled that abortion is a fundamental right guaranteed by the Constitution?

Can you give me the names of the founding fathers who you believe were in favor of abortion?

Give me a break lady.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
If abortion was actually legal prior to 1880(which I highly doubt it), it would have been a democratic choice decided by the people, through their state's legislature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aborti...States#History

I never claimed having an abortion was unconstitutional. I only claimed that laws prohibiting abortion were not unconstitutional.

Let me ask you, had the Supreme Court ruled on abortion in say, the year 1800. Do you honestly believe that that Supreme Court would have ruled that abortion is a fundamental right guaranteed by the Constitution?

Can you give me the names of the founding fathers who you believe were in favor of abortion?

Give me a break lady.
https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/healt...tes/index.html

Quote:
There was a time when abortion was simply part of life in the United States. People didn't scream about it in protest, and services were marketed openly.
Drugs to induce abortions were a booming business. They were advertised in newspapers and could be bought from pharmacists, from physicians and even through the mail. If drugs didn't work, women could visit practitioners for instrumental procedures.
Quote:
In the 18th century and until about 1880, abortions were allowed under common law and widely practiced. They were illegal only after "quickening," the highly subjective term used to describe when pregnant women could feel the fetus moving, Reagan said.
Not one of the founding fathers cared to make abortion an issue so ALL of them were in favor of it.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
If it didn't exist why did it have to be removed?
Do you plan to keep all your iffy moles and tumors? Bad appendix?

That's not what she meant. A pregnancy existed. A zygote... a fetus...

A baby? Nope. A "him" or a "her?" Not likely would this have been remotely evident at such an early stage in fetal development.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Not one of the founding fathers cared to make abortion an issue so ALL of them were in favor of it.
1) It was only legal up to "quickening", which is basically the first-trimester. Roe v. Wade declares that abortion is from your right to privacy, which presumably extends all the way up to birth. The founders did not believe that abortion was a matter of privacy, and after quickening it was a felony.

2) Laws began to be passed to make all abortion illegal long before 1880, but by the 1880's abortion was illegal in every single state.

3) One of the main reasons abortion became illegal was because science basically proved that humans are human from conception. Prior to the 1800's, people believed that before a baby began kicking and moving, he hadn't yet received his soul, so he wasn't actually human.

The founding-fathers did not believe women had a Constitutional right to abortion.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
1) It was only legal up to "quickening", which is basically the first-trimester. Roe v. Wade declares that abortion is from your right to privacy, which presumably extends all the way up to birth. The founders did not believe that abortion was a matter of privacy, and after quickening it was a felony.

2) Laws began to be passed to make all abortion illegal long before 1880, but by the 1880's abortion was illegal in every single state.

3) One of the main reasons abortion became illegal was because science basically proved that humans are human from conception. Prior to the 1800's, people believed that before a baby began kicking and moving, he hadn't yet received his soul, so he wasn't actually human.

The founding-fathers did not believe women had a Constitutional right to abortion.
From the link.

Quote:
Back when it was still a fledgling organization, however, it began a crusade in 1857 to make abortion illegal, Reagan wrote. The impetus was manifold. Some of it came "out of regular physicians' desire to win professional power, control medical practice, and restrict their competitors," namely midwives and homeopaths.
Banning abortion has always been about control for one reason or another. Women used as pawns and that is still the case today.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:27 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
UGH why can't people just stay out of others bedrooms and Doctor offices ? What is this fascination with who is sleeping with who and now who is proud to have killed their unwanted baby?

I believe that abortion should be allowed but I don't want to hear someone shouting how proud they are that they got one.

I think it is a very difficult decision for most women to make and it should be a private issue.

I know women that have had abortions and it is sad but given the time and circumstances in their lives it was probably the best decision to make. I also know a woman that due to her health problems was told by a doctor that she should get an abortion and her answer was to find another doctor. She now has a daughter and they are both doing Ok.

I don't know what it is with these Loony Lefties that they feel the need to rub their abortions in the faces of Pro Life people.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
UGH why can't people just stay out of others bedrooms and Doctor offices ? What is this fascination with who is sleeping with who and now who is proud to have killed their unwanted baby?

I believe that abortion should be allowed but I don't want to hear someone shouting how proud they are that they got one.

I think it is a very difficult decision for most women to make and it should be a private issue.

I know women that have had abortions and it is sad but given the time and circumstances in their lives it was probably the best decision to make. I also know a woman that due to her health problems was told by a doctor that she should get an abortion and her answer was to find another doctor. She now has a daughter and they are both doing Ok.

I don't know what it is with these Loony Lefties that they feel the need to rub their abortions in the faces of Pro Life people.
Maybe they are just tired of pro-lifers trying to portray women who have had abortions as permanently broken and living lives full of regret and despair......despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies