U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-19-2019, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Self explanatory
11,395 posts, read 4,809,023 times
Reputation: 15387

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount79 View Post
Here's the thing. It's not just Trump supporters and its not just Democrats.

It's party politics in this country. A good portion of this country looks at who states an opinion or looks to see if there is an R or D beside someone's name to determine if they agree with the opinion or not.

We've got news organisations that put massive spins on the stories that will help push an agenda.

We play politics in this country like its a team game, look at the references to "your side" or "our side" littered all throughout this thread.

The only side there should be is America.

The question was asked..."What would i do before 2016". What's the answer to that that will satisfy the person that asked the question?

I'm not an elected official or anything like that, I don't know what i was supposed to do about another country interfering with our elections.

I care about a fair election, no matter what person wins that election.
Amen to that.

 
Old 04-19-2019, 12:48 PM
 
6,432 posts, read 3,030,990 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Actually if Barr as AG will not lift the directive that a sitting president can’t be indicted then no—Barr can’t make that call...he wants it to stay in place...it is what saved Trump from Mueller’s outing him as a criminal

But Congress can....

This is from the Wikipedia section on “obstruction of justice”:

"Anticipatory obstruction of justice" has recently appeared on the horizon in cases such as US v. Wolff.[6] However, the operative section, 1519, passed in 2002, has thus far languished in quasi-obscurity. Titled “Destruction, Alteration or Falsification of Records in Federal Investigations and Bankruptcy,” the provision was passed under Section 802 of the Sarbanes–Oxley Act of 2002.

The text of the statute is relatively straightforward:

Whoever knowingly alters, destroys, mutilates, conceals, covers up, falsified, or makes a false entry in any record, document, or tangible object with the intent to impede, obstruct, or influence the investigation or proper administration of any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States or any case filed under Title 11, or in relation to or contemplation of any such matter or case, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.


This provision is still viable law I believe and it would certainly prove that WH officials and Trump enablers who have used apps on phones or other devices that delete communications so they are very difficult to retrieve and provide to investigators or as part of the ongoing requirement for preserving government documents are guilty of obstruction of justice...

And this likely could be stretched to include someone who makes a public statement as part of a government record—like a press conference as Press Secretary or as the President makes his Tweets which definitely have attempted to INFLUENCE the investigation or administration of any matter within any department...

If I had known this law was so broad in its inclusion of what constitutes intent to commit obstruction then I think anyone in the Trump WH who has given any sort of public verbal or written statement is probably guilty
Because there are so many documented falsehoods....
Oh for God's sake. Just lock up everyone in DC.
 
Old 04-19-2019, 12:50 PM
 
11,060 posts, read 3,700,389 times
Reputation: 5184
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Actually if Barr as AG will not lift the directive that a sitting president can’t be indicted then no—Barr can’t make that call...he wants it to stay in place...it is what saved Trump from Mueller’s outing him as a criminal

But Congress can....

This is from the Wikipedia section on “obstruction of justice”:

"Anticipatory obstruction of justice" has recently appeared on the horizon in cases such as US v. Wolff.[6] However, the operative section, 1519, passed in 2002, has thus far languished in quasi-obscurity. Titled “Destruction, Alteration or Falsification of Records in Federal Investigations and Bankruptcy,” the provision was passed under Section 802 of the Sarbanes–Oxley Act of 2002.

The text of the statute is relatively straightforward:

Whoever knowingly alters, destroys, mutilates, conceals, covers up, falsified, or makes a false entry in any record, document, or tangible object with the intent to impede, obstruct, or influence the investigation or proper administration of any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States or any case filed under Title 11, or in relation to or contemplation of any such matter or case, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.


This provision is still viable law I believe and it would certainly prove that WH officials and Trump enablers who have used apps on phones or other devices that delete communications so they are very difficult to retrieve and provide to investigators or as part of the ongoing requirement for preserving government documents are guilty of obstruction of justice...

And this likely could be stretched to include someone who makes a public statement as part of a government record—like a press conference as Press Secretary or as the President makes his Tweets which definitely have attempted to INFLUENCE the investigation or administration of any matter within any department...

If I had known this law was so broad in its inclusion of what constitutes intent to commit obstruction then I think anyone in the Trump WH who has given any sort of public verbal or written statement is probably guilty
Because there are so many documented falsehoods....





to prove obstruction you need INTENT.....Mueller backed off because he didn't subpoena the President.
You can't impeach or indict a President for doing his constitutional duties.



Didn't Comey say that over the Hillary Clinton emails when she destroyed 33,000 emails under subpoena?




or are we going to use a lower standard on Trump?
 
Old 04-19-2019, 12:51 PM
 
6,432 posts, read 3,030,990 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Just for sh*ts and giggles...

The statute of limitations on obstruction is 5 years... if Trump wins re-election, your wet dream dies.

No prosecutor would take that chance if they had the goods on a 'criminal'... It's.Over.
LOL.

Not to mention a case where they first had to explain to the jury that the defendant has already been cleared of the crime by the same organization they now work for.

Then there's the little matter of no underlying crime.

And, finally, the defense that everything he did was in reaction to being labeled a traitor and a Russian puppet...…….that's what American's should be outraged about.

For two years, our institutions and our media have tried to leak us and dupe us into believing that our president is a traitor. Who knows what damage that has done to our nation.

I predict eventually most Americans will become outraged over this.
 
Old 04-19-2019, 12:55 PM
 
6,432 posts, read 3,030,990 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The DOJ the day Trump leaves the WH without a pardon.
Is this what MSM is spinning today, or just what you think is going to happen?
 
Old 04-19-2019, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Lost in Montana *recalculating*...
11,813 posts, read 15,395,300 times
Reputation: 12062
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post


Will congress listen to the majority sentiment, per the poll above, or continue to beat a dead horse on trump? I'm expecting the latter based on the reaction from chuck, Nancy, and several prominent dems yesterday.

what a colossal waste of taxpayer money this whole trump investigation was, along with the huge social costs including deeper divides between americans, a further deterioration in trust of the press, and skepticism of motives by formerly trusted institutions like the doj and fbi.

Nothing good came of this investigation. Nothing.
Benghazi was a colossal waste with nothing to show for it.

The Mueller investigation has yielded criminal activity, indictments, guilty charges, evidence of obstruction, and what?.. 14 other referrals or so for other matters unrelated to the scope of his investigation but reveal criminality?

I'd say we got a bargain. If anything Mueller put a light on the cockroaches in 'the swamp'.

It's the Republicans, lol.
 
Old 04-19-2019, 12:58 PM
 
7,079 posts, read 5,349,498 times
Reputation: 5249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Benghazi was a colossal waste with nothing to show for it.

The Mueller investigation has yielded criminal activity, indictments, guilty charges, evidence of obstruction, and what?.. 14 other referrals or so for other matters unrelated to the scope of his investigation but reveal criminality?

I'd say we got a bargain. If anything Mueller put a light on the cockroaches in 'the swamp'.

It's the Republicans, lol.
Bingo!
 
Old 04-19-2019, 01:09 PM
 
11,206 posts, read 8,325,366 times
Reputation: 6935
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
It was NOT


There is zero evidence Russia swung the entire election.


You lost because you ran one of the worst candidates imaginable. And you just can’t deal
Where is the evidence that they didn't?
 
Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Denver
1,303 posts, read 426,689 times
Reputation: 1239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Just for sh*ts and giggles...

The statute of limitations on obstruction is 5 years... if Trump wins re-election, your wet dream dies.

No prosecutor would take that chance if they had the goods on a 'criminal'... It's.Over.
"Oh my God. This is terrible. This is the end of my Presidency. I'm ****ed." - Donald J Trump.
 
Old 04-19-2019, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
746 posts, read 216,034 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
plagiarizing commentary from a hyperpartisan leftwing hack weblogger to criticize this opinion columnist is poor form. next time give the link.

https://www.pmcarpenter.com/2018/04/...aissance-.html
I wrapped the damned quotes. Go back and look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top