U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 PM

7,478 posts, read 3,482,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I know this has been asked before, but I just wonder if Mueller knew going in that it was a wild goose chase, or did he think he might find something, but couldn't and just proceeded to tootle along until he ran out of dead ends? And if so, when did the little light bulb go off in his head?
You're on the right track. Peter Sztrok was the lead investigator on the Mueller team. Remember what he said in his text? "my gut sense and concern is there's no big there there.". It's important to understand that Mueller didn't choose his team, Mueller was chosen by his team. He had to have known almost instantaneously it was a fairy tale. The first thing he had to have done is sit down with Strzok and say "Pete, show me what you have". What he would have been shown was the dossier. Next question would have been "Has this thing been verified?". "No Bob, it hasn't". "So what the hell are we doing here?". Mueller switched almost immediately into obstruction mode because he knew there was no Russia collusion. He spent the next 2 years dragging it out to protect the FBI & what they'd been up to. By keeping his investigation open, the documents Congress had been requesting would not have to be turned over. By keeping it going, Trump could not declassify the FISA applications or anything else. Ironically it was actually Mueller who obstructed justice.

Last edited by Mason3000; 04-19-2019 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 PM

9,616 posts, read 3,089,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Yeah, I did a double take when I saw that. Why would he react that way? And do his supporters realize that he was lying to them when he said he wasn't worried? Obviously he was very worried. Do you think that maybe, just maybe, all of his tantrums over a witch hunt were out of pure self-preservation and panic?
because you didn't read what he said next

""Everyone tells me if you get one of these independent counsels, it ruins your presidency. It takes years and years and I won't be able to do anything. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me," Trump said, according to the report.
"

Old 04-19-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I did a double take when I saw that. Why would he react that way? And do his supporters realize that he was lying to them when he said he wasn't worried? Obviously he was very worried. Do you think that maybe, just maybe, all of his tantrums over a witch hunt were out of pure self-preservation and panic?
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, that you're ignorant of what was said, rather than intentionally misrepresenting the context.

Context matters. Here's what he said immediately after the sentence you quoted:

"Everyone tells me if you get one of these independent counsels it ruins your presidency. It takes years and years and I won't be able to do anything. This is the worst thing that every happened to me"

He was worried his presidency would be hamstrung by the investigation & that it would go on for years. He was right. No sane person wouldn't be furious in his situation.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:04 PM

29,965 posts, read 47,044,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...funniest part...no they don't

Obama was caught with a open mike colluding with Russia..." 'I'll have more flexibility' after the election."

went on national TV and said Russia had no influence on our elections

..and was caught red handed tapping the president of Argentina's and most of their cabinet's phones..
Mexico's president's phones....Panama's presidents phones...France...Italy...
...all the way up to the president of Germany..Merkel
Actually Congress fires the president by impeaching him and voting him out of office

And in Mueller’s report—(you citing Obama who is not president and was not impeached is pretty futile example) Slate’s online edition in story about Don McGahn not really “saving” Trump as some have alluded is the case presents this analysis:

As Mueller makes clear on Page 11 of the second volume, under Section 1512(c), a person is “guilty of an attempt when he has the intent to commit a substantive offense and takes an overt act that constitutes a substantial step towards that goal.” He then went on to cite precedent that “ ‘soliciting an innocent agent to engage in conduct constituting an element of the crime’ may qualify as a substantial step.’ ” In other words, even his close associates could not save the president from himself.

There are 10 or 11 instances where Trump made the attempt to influence Mueller’s investigation or some aspect of other legal processes that he felt threaten him (again part of Mueller’s analysis in the report)
There was Trump’s intent, the nexus of the threat, and actions by others that prevented that intent become fact—but not always...
Mueller even wrote that his investigation WAS influenced by Trump’s or his surrogates’ actions...

Old 04-19-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
We are finding he had nothing at one year, he continued spending our money only to influence the 2018 mid terms. This is criminal of him.

2 years and million tossed into the trash only because the con man Obama used a fake paid Russina dossier to illegally spy on Trump.

FISA declass is coming, Obama should be arrested within days for treason.
Just imagine if there's evidence they kept it going to influence the mid-term elections.

6,432 posts, read 3,029,994 times
Quote:
No we don't think that.

You only think that because the main stream media has taken this quote out of context and told you it meant the Pres was scared.

If you read the whole report, you would have read it in context and known he meant that having an investigation of this sort ongoing would hamstring his presidency.

How is it that so many Americans are so collectively ignorant?

22,469 posts, read 12,063,761 times
It isn't derangement syndrome to think Trump's behavior is immoral......even die hard conservatives like Shapiro think he is immoral

Sure Ben will vote for for Trump -- because Ben can only vote for Republicans......

But Trump is the worst Republican ever.

And if you can't own that -- you have been drinking too much of that Kool-Aid.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Did anyone see, last night, Stephen Colbert with Neal Katyal?

I hadn't heard of him, but Katyal wrote the rules on special counsel investigations, so naturally they discussed the Mueller report, and it was very interesting, and pretty funny, too. He talked about the situation that the Founding Fathers hadn't foreseen, of having a corrupt attorney general catering to a suspect president.

Anyway, very entertaining.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-s...g-of-the-end-/

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/ex-actin...t-to-obstruct/
I don't get my news from comedians.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
By the way, I find Trump's comment particularly interesting, which was mentioned in the program: "This is the end of my Presidency. Im f*#$%d. This is not, as I think Colbert said, a remark you'd expect from an innocent man.
Why not post the next sentence from Trump for context? Too must integrity for you?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So what exactly is Obama guilty of that Trump hasn't let happen on his watch as well?

Russians have been meddling in elections since 2016!
Russians have been meddling in our elections (and vice-versa) since the end of WW2. There was nothing unique about the 2016 election in that sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies