U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2019, 04:50 PM
 
33,914 posts, read 18,438,846 times
Reputation: 7487

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
It won’t matter. I could post plenty of well researched studies, would just go in one ear and out the other.



Because you cannot post any well researched studies. If you can, post them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
You are wrong and that special tingle you seem to feel for guns clearly colors your perception. Over and out.

I am not wrong, but lets remember what you said, "facts"....so lets see them.



You were the one that was complaining about a rational conversation, then when asked to provide your facts....you went "poof" like a fart in the wind...provide the facts....lets look at them, and if you are correct, I'll say that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2019, 04:53 PM
 
33,914 posts, read 18,438,846 times
Reputation: 7487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
And, again, the problem is this will never happen. Never ever.

Stupid people do not teach their kids a lot, other than how to be stupid. So either accept the fact that there is always going to be collateral damage for idiocy and guns or make an IQ quiz part of a background check, and pray it isn't your family member who is shot by the mentally ill or the mentally challenged, or little kids.

Sure, as long as we do it for driving, having a phone, etc...the list goes on a lot farther than just not teaching a kid what not to do with a gun....


I worry far more about my son being killed by someone texting than I do with a gun....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 04:56 PM
 
2,510 posts, read 519,452 times
Reputation: 3050
And in other news....






https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tipping...ds-govt-warns/


But you won't see any outrage oveer this despite them harming far more children than guns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 05:00 PM
 
33,914 posts, read 18,438,846 times
Reputation: 7487
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
And in other news....






https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tipping...ds-govt-warns/


But you won't see any outrage oveer this despite them harming far more children than guns!



Exactly....


Quote:
ncident each year, more than 25,000, or 59 percent, of whom are children. "Small children are no match for a falling dresser, wall unit or 50- to 100-pound television," the CPSC said.

But facts don't seem to matter to some folks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
20,972 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Reputation: 31807
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Exactly....





But facts don't seem to matter to some folks.....
Well, sure, there's no comparison between 30K+ gun deaths a year and 350 deaths over the span of 11 years. Were those the facts you were referring to?


Quote:
The report also showed that 349 people were killed between 2000 and 2011 by a falling television, appliance or piece of furniture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Middle of nowhere
20,322 posts, read 10,396,400 times
Reputation: 7953
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
let me g you one further then, what is the point of teaching children anything? you gun grabbers keep complaining that people need to learn gun safety, and i agree. but we need to start early when children are most capable of learning. we start them young with learning languages, how to read, how to write, etc. we teach them other safety things like look both ways before crossing the street. so what is wring with also teaching children about gun safety at a young age? is it supposed to be some mystical learning event that somehow children are not capable of learning until they are at some age you decide?


why cant you take the child out and teach them what a gun can do, and why they need to leave them alone unless under adult supervision?



do you teach your children not to drink the things they find under the sink? you know stuff like drain cleaner, windex, bug spray etc.? this is just another safety item that children need to learn about.
Yes, and I also had child proof locks on those cabinets until they were old enough to know better so that there were no accidents.

My children were taught gun safety, but I also kept my guns secured so that they could not access them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 PM
 
2,510 posts, read 519,452 times
Reputation: 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Well, sure, there's no comparison between 30K+ gun deaths a year and 350 deaths over the span of 11 years. Were those the facts you were referring to?
You do know that your 30k number is 2/3 suicides and the remaining third everything lumped together, justifiable, murder, gang, drug, accident etc..?
Even so, 30k is .0001% rate of incidence! That's a pretty darn good rate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 05:18 PM
 
33,914 posts, read 18,438,846 times
Reputation: 7487
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Well, sure, there's no comparison between 30K+ gun deaths a year and 350 deaths over the span of 11 years. Were those the facts you were referring to?
We are talking about children.......how many of those 350 people were children?



Instead of just posting, read and comprehend what you post....and or responding to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 05:19 PM
 
33,914 posts, read 18,438,846 times
Reputation: 7487
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
You do know that your 30k number is 2/3 suicides and the remaining third everything lumped together, justifiable, murder, gang, drug, accident etc..?
Even so, 30k is .0001% rate of incidence! That's a pretty darn good rate!

Them damn facts again....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Long Island
32,672 posts, read 13,808,336 times
Reputation: 6927
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
let me g you one further then, what is the point of teaching children anything? you gun grabbers keep complaining that people need to learn gun safety, and i agree. but we need to start early when children are most capable of learning. we start them young with learning languages, how to read, how to write, etc. we teach them other safety things like look both ways before crossing the street. so what is wring with also teaching children about gun safety at a young age? is it supposed to be some mystical learning event that somehow children are not capable of learning until they are at some age you decide?


why cant you take the child out and teach them what a gun can do, and why they need to leave them alone unless under adult supervision?



do you teach your children not to drink the things they find under the sink? you know stuff like drain cleaner, windex, bug spray etc.? this is just another safety item that children need to learn about.
Too many guns and too many careless people. What is the point in teaching a 4 year old gun safety when you have a parent heading off to a soccer game with a loaded gun in the car laying in easy reach. She isn't the only one, we see this way too often. We need cleaning materials under the sink, we need to cross streets but why does a person need to bring a gun to a soccer game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top