Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,146,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Since 2016, I think the programmers got bored and decided to just see how wacky they can make it..
Ah. That must be how the Russian hoax got started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Since 2016, I think the programmers got bored and decided to just see how wacky they can make it..
if(god.isBored)
matrix.initiateChaos(Trump, Julian_Assange, Russians);

while(date < nov2020.getDate(election2020))
matrix.makeTrumpDoStupidStuff(tax_cuts, border_wall, tariffs);

god.haveMercy(god.electDemocrat(Pete Buttigieg));

Such is my quick and dirty program of life.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:32 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
I wish, but no.
Attached Thumbnails
Do we live in a simulation? Does it matter?-1553490098974.jpg  

Old 04-16-2019, 03:32 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
There is a theory that our reality is actually a simulation much like what is depicted in the movie The Matrix.

The most notable argument for this theory is based on probability. If any one civilization anywhere in the universe became capable of constructing such simulations, most realities would be simulated rather than actually be the "base reality". I find this argument somewhat convincing.

Another argument I have considered is the seeming incompatibility of classical and quantum mechanics. Maybe they are indeed incompatible, because at the quantum level we are encountering the resolution of the simulation, whereas the bulk classical properties model the base reality which has finer resolution than the simulation. The simulators did not attempt to rectify their rules at the micro scale because of limited memory and processing power of the hardware hosting the simulation. In this way the classical-quantum split is basically a flaw in the simulation imposed by hardware constraints.

So we may indeed live in a simulation. What does that mean?

First off, it means we still exist inside the base reality, insofar as the hardware hosting our reality exists in the base reality. We are dependent upon the base reality's existence for our own existence.

Second, it means our reality is probably patterned off of the base reality, or to be general the parent reality, with some loss of fidelity.

Lastly, the loss of fidelity implies that simulation is a terminal process. You can have simulations running simulations, but eventually you end up with an entropic layer that terminates the descent.

Do you think we live in a simulation?

.......and this my friends is the hiccup in the software that will soon be resolved by the hack controlling the program.

Assimilate or Disintegrate.................

Old 04-16-2019, 03:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Lots of reading on the concept =https://www.google.ca/search?source=...31.NItktAFrWq4

Old 04-16-2019, 03:55 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
I don't know .......but if if it's true, I'd like to ask the programmers if they could tweak the Matrix a little and delete my lumbago.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:59 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
There is a theory that our reality is actually a simulation much like what is depicted in the movie The Matrix.

The most notable argument for this theory is based on probability. If any one civilization anywhere in the universe became capable of constructing such simulations, most realities would be simulated rather than actually be the "base reality". I find this argument somewhat convincing.

Another argument I have considered is the seeming incompatibility of classical and quantum mechanics. Maybe they are indeed incompatible, because at the quantum level we are encountering the resolution of the simulation, whereas the bulk classical properties model the base reality which has finer resolution than the simulation. The simulators did not attempt to rectify their rules at the micro scale because of limited memory and processing power of the hardware hosting the simulation. In this way the classical-quantum split is basically a flaw in the simulation imposed by hardware constraints.

First off, it means we still exist inside the base reality, insofar as the hardware hosting our reality exists in the base reality. We are dependent upon the base reality's existence for our own existence.

Second, it means our reality is probably patterned off of the base reality, or to be general the parent reality, with some loss of fidelity.

Lastly, the loss of fidelity implies that simulation is a terminal process. You can have simulations running simulations, but eventually you end up with an entropic layer that terminates the descent.

There is no real evidence to support this, and indeed the thoery has largely been debunked by academic researchers in recent years.

BASE REALITY: A Harvard physicist explains the problem with believing we live in a simulation - Quartz

Physicists find we're not living in a computer simulation | Cosmos Magazine

Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:

I saw the recent article by the MIT prof. This is a question which effectively cannot be answered, thus the intrigue. However, the fact that we cannot predict the location and momentum of an electron (Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle) suggest that we live in reality, not a simulation, as both would have to be "programmed" into our reality to be present. The fact that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle exists strongly suggests that we are not living in a simulation.

This fact has been overlooked by those suggesting the simulation theory, which is an egregious error on their part. Both momentum and location of an electron would have to be programmed in to our reality in order for the properties of the particle to exist. The fact that the principle is true means that the observer (or programmer), who otherwise would need to program both momentum and location, did not participate in the creation of electrons in our reality.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:45 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
How would you handle it if the base reality turned out to be an evil place, and our reality was a collection of the best elements of the base reality, designed as a refuge?
Well, that's kind of how the Matrix was, right? I mean, not evil, but not very pleasant. Do you choose the "real" reality on principle, even if it sucks, or stick with what's familiar and nicer to live in because... what does it truly matter anyway, if it's still your consciousness living a life?

(I think this decision might be based on whether circumstances are as in the Matrix movies-- your body being used for energy-- or if there is nothing nefarious or exploitative going on?)

Quote:
No that's not what I'm saying. What does fake even mean if most civilizations are simulated?

A simulation will have a loss of fidelity, but that doesn't mean the underlying signal is entirely gone. The grief you describe could be felt in a simulation, but it would be more attenuated compared to the base reality.
Would it be, though? If you do not know that you're in a simulation, then you will feel everything as real.

Even if you know you're in a simulation, if someone suffers, they're still suffering (they'll still feel pain). If someone dies and there's no "reset" button as in a video game (which we know there isn't if we are indeed in a simulation), then they're still gone forever.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
That is one hell of a simulation with the last few years and how weird everything has gotten. People self-identifying as the Easter bunny and dogs and other ****. The programmer must have been hacked by some expert level trolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies