U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:46 AM

17,555 posts, read 19,716,261 times

Advertisements

What I keep hearing from the article is a nothingburger... The OP is hoping for something that isn't going to happen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 07:47 AM

44,404 posts, read 17,725,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Seems their core message is more a constant stream of fear-mongering Emails saying something like 'HURRY!, Send us $$$ or someone's gonna come take your guns!' which allow LaPierre and his cohorts a nice, plush lifestyle.

Quite the irony in a topic created around a NYT article.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM

58,064 posts, read 40,832,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yawn.

George Soros & Carlos Slim absolutely hate for Americans to legally own guns. So they yank chain of their dog, the NYT to write biased article about it for the "easily influenced".

Can you point out anything specific that's not true in the cited article or did you just feel whining about the NYT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why anyone believes the NYT without thought or question is beyond me.

Why anyone believes DJT without thought or question is beyond sensibility.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 AM

6,923 posts, read 1,738,838 times
Quote:
Seems their core message is more a constant stream of fear-mongering Emails saying something like 'HURRY!, Send us $$$ or someone's gonna come take your guns!' which allow LaPierre and his cohorts a nice, plush lifestyle.

That is political fundraising. And left organizations use the same tactic. I have a far left friend who gets slammed daily from far left groups seeking money. She forwarded an email she got from one of those groups claiming Kansas was going to vote to ban all abortions. Reality was some obscure Kansas state representative was trying to sponsor a bill to ban abortion in Kansas which has zero chance of even being voted on. That politician only sponsored the bill to get brownie points for their reelection campaign by showing how anti abortion they were.

The average person just scraping by falls for this ploy and makes those on K street richer.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 04-16-2019 at 08:43 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 AM

4,282 posts, read 846,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I like that poem.

I don't know why people hate and fear the NRA so much? The way I see it they promote the safe handling and lawful use of firearms while fighting to keep the shooting sports traditions alive with a nod to the heritage of them and their role in making (and keeping) this country great.

The NRA stands up for the Second Amendment Rights of every citizen including those that would strip those Rights from us all.

The infighting is ridiculous but their core message is so important to keeping America strong.
People have lost respect for the NRA because it has moved from being an organization that was focussed on hunting and the safe use and training of firearms.

They are now a shill for the 2A means all guns for all people, they oppose ANY common sense gun laws, and have attracted their share of wackos. I mean, who opposes gun laws the restrict ownership for mentally ill???? The NRA. Who demonizes victims of school shootings? The NRA.

The NRA has promoted fear of gun owners that any common sense gun laws is going to mean confiscation. They are nuts.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:57 AM

1,195 posts, read 458,220 times
My father was a member of the NRA for years. There has been a change in rhetoric, and it is no longer functioning as a gun safety/hunting/sportsman organization. Dad dropped his membership a decade ago, when he no longer was getting value from it. He's a gun owner (as am I), and the NRA no longer represents us. There is no room in the NRA for people who don't believe our 2nd Amendment rights are at risk.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 AM

3,242 posts, read 1,849,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
My father was a member of the NRA for years. There has been a change in rhetoric, and it is no longer functioning as a gun safety/hunting/sportsman organization. Dad dropped his membership a decade ago, when he no longer was getting value from it. He's a gun owner (as am I), and the NRA no longer represents us. There is no room in the NRA for people who don't believe our 2nd Amendment rights are at risk.
Quote:
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."--Diane Feinstein, U.S. Senator from California

In an op-ed published in the New York Times Tuesday, the 97-year-old former Supreme Court justice argues that advocates for stricter gun control legislation should take the next step and demand the removal of the Second Amendment entirely.--http://time.com/5216782/john-paul-stevens-repeal-second-amendment/

"Instead, we should ban possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons, we should buy back such weapons from all who choose to abide by the law, and we should criminally prosecute any who choose to defy it by keeping their weapons," he wrote. "The ban would not apply to law enforcement agencies or shooting clubs."--Eric Swalwell

“I believe…..this is my final word……I believe that I’m supporting the Constitution of the United States which does not give the right for any individual to own a handgun….”--Jan Schakowsky, U.S. Representative from Illinois

“No, we’re not looking at how to control criminals … we’re talking about banning the AK-47 and semi-automatic guns.”--Howard Metzenbaum, former U.S. Senator

“If a bill to ban handguns came to the house floor, I would vote for it.”--Pete Stark, U.S. Representative from California

” …we need much stricter gun control, and eventually should bar the ownership of handguns”--William Clay, U.S. Representative from Missouri

“Banning guns is an idea whose time has come.”--Joseph Biden, Vice President of the United States

“I shortly will introduce legislation banning the sale, manufacture or possession of handguns (with exceptions for law enforcement and licensed target clubs)… . It is time to act. We cannot go on like this. Ban them!”--John Chafee, Former U.S. Senator from Rhode Island

“We have to start with a ban on the manufacturing and import of handguns. From there we register the guns which are currently owned, and follow that with additional bans and acquisitions of handguns and rifles with no sporting purpose.”--Major Owens, U.S. Representative from New York

“My staff and I right now are working on a comprehensive gun-control bill. We don’t have all the details, but for instance, regulating the sale and purchase of bullets. Ultimately, I would like to see the manufacture and possession of handguns banned except for military and police use. But that’s the endgame. And in the meantime, there are some specific things that we can do with legislation.”--Bobby Rush, U.S. Representative from Illinois

“Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe. The National Guard fulfills the militia mentioned in the Second amendment. Citizens no longer need to protect the states or themselves.”--Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator from California

“All of this has to be understood as part of a process leading ultimately to a treaty that will give an international body power over our domestic laws.”--Charles Pashayan, U.S. Representative from California

“Confiscation could be an option…mandatory sale to the state could be an option.”--Andrew Cuomo, Governor of New York

San Diego’s [police chief] Lansdowne, who plays an active role in the western region of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), said in the interview it may take a generation, but guns will eventually be taken off the streets through new laws.

"My view of guns is simple. I hate guns and I cannot imagine why anyone would want to own one. If I had my way, guns for sport would be registered, and all other guns would be banned."-- Deborah Prothrow-Stith (Dean of Harvard School of Public Health)

“I don’t believe people should to be able to own guns.”-- Barack Obama (during conversation with economist and author John Lott Jr. at the University of Chicago Law School in the 1990s)

"A gun-control movement worthy of the name would insist that President Clinton move beyond his proposals for controls ... and immediately call on Congress to pass far-reaching industry regulation like the Firearms Safety and Consumer Protection Act ... [which] would give the Treasury Department health and safety authority over the gun industry, and any rational regulator with that authority would ban handguns."
- Josh Sugarmann (executive director of the Violence Policy Center)

"We need a new paradigm because both sides are in the corner and they could come to the middle," Schumer said. "Those of who are pro-gun control have to admit that there is a Second Amendment right to bear arms... once we establish that there is a constitutional right to bear arms we should have the right admit, and maybe they'll be more willing to admit, that no amendment is absolute after all."--Chuck Schumer, U.S. Senator from New York

"We can't just stand behind you and say we support our men and women in law enforcement community and then not have the laws on the books that help you do your job every day," he said. "And it's time as a city we have an assault weapon ban. And it's time as a state that we have an assault weapon ban. And it's time as a country that we have an assault weapon ban."--Rahm Emanuel, Mayor Chicago, Illinois

"We need to do something, at the very least, perhaps, about the high-capacity magazines that were used in this crime."--Richard Blumenthal, U.S. Senator from Connecticut

“I don’t care if you want to hunt. I don’t care if you think it’s your right. I say, ‘Sorry.’ It is 1999. We have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun, and if you do own a gun I think you should go to prison.--Rosie O'Donnell, Comedian

"We cannot let a minority of people—and that’s what it is, it is a minority of people—hold a viewpoint that terrorizes the majority of people." On Australia's gun ban "So I think that’s worth considering," Clinton said. "I don’t know enough details to tell you how we would do it or how it would work. But certainly, the Australian example is worth considering."----Hillary Clinton

George Stephanopoulos pushed Clinton twice on whether people have a right to own guns on ABC News’ "This Week": “But that's not what I asked. I said do you believe that their conclusion that an individual's right to bear arms is a constitutional right?” Clinton could only say:If it is a constitutional right...”

"I can find nothing in the Second Amendment’s text, history, or underlying rationale that could warrant characterizing it as ‘fundamental’ insofar as it seeks to protect the keeping and bearing of arms for private self-defense purposes.”--Steven Breyer, former Supreme Court Justice
Now why would anyone think that the 2nd Amendment is at risk? That's just fear mongering by the NRA.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:25 AM

3,242 posts, read 1,849,791 times
Quote:
Can you point out anything specific that's not true in the cited article or did you just feel whining about the NYT?

Why anyone believes DJT without thought or question is beyond sensibility.
But you'll fall for anything that the New York Times prints? Such hypocrisy!

Why anyone believes Obama, the Clintons, Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, Biden, Swalwell, Schumer, Robert Francis O'Rourke, Pelosi, Elizabeth "Pocahontas" Warren or any other Democrat along with CNN without thought or question is beyond sensibility. You see it works both ways.

As for the New York Times:
Quote:
New York Times editor admits paper is very, very (very) biased
www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/17/new...
New York Times editor admits paper is very, very (very) biased ... promote political views, endorse candidates, make offensive comments or do anything else that undercuts The Times’s ...

New York Times Media Bias | AllSides
www.allsides.com/news-source/new-york-times
The New York Times News section has a Lean Left media bias. Important Note: This page refers to the media bias rating for the New York Times' news content only. Our media bias rating for The New York Times Opinion page overall (which includes various op-ed writers and the Editorial Board) is Left.

Daniel Okrent, the then-public editor of The New York Times, wrote an editorial in which he explained that when covering some social issues, the paper did in fact have a liberal bias. Since Eisenhower ran for president in 1956, the paper has not endorsed a single Republican nominee for president, but has endorsed every other Democratic candidate.--https://www.allsides.com/news-source/new-york-times

NY Times hires ‘hack’ - Student News Daily
www.studentnewsdaily.com/example-of-media-bias/...
Example of Media Bias: (from a Dec. 12 post by Alex Pfeiffer, The Daily Signal): The New York Times has hired Glenn Thrush, the Politico reporter who was exposed by WikiLeaks for sending one of his stories before publication to Clinton campaign chief John Podesta.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-16-2019 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-17-2019, 11:06 PM

4,282 posts, read 846,569 times
Quite the insight on machinations with in the NRA, and lots of conflicts of interest. A long read, but lots of factual information.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...eed-at-the-nra

Old 04-18-2019, 06:02 AM

8,231 posts, read 2,181,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I like that poem.

I don't know why people hate and fear the NRA so much? The way I see it they promote the safe handling and lawful use of firearms while fighting to keep the shooting sports traditions alive with a nod to the heritage of them and their role in making (and keeping) this country great.

The NRA stands up for the Second Amendment Rights of every citizen including those that would strip those Rights from us all.

The infighting is ridiculous but their core message is so important to keeping America strong.
Because they're full of back biting, capitulating, self serving, country club elitist Fudds.

NFA 1934 support-NRA.
GCA 1968 support-NRA.
Hughes Amendment FOPA 1986-NRA.
Bumpstock bans 2016-18-NRA.
Red Flag Laws 2017-present day-NRA.

Winning/preserving does not happen when you "throw a bone" to the emotional tyrants. Eventually you run out of bones.

Muh Hunting Rifles and Holland & Holland clay pidgeon double barrel.
NoBoDy NeeDs UH gUn LiKe 'at. ThUrDay-ThUrDaY is PlEnTy FiNe.
ReVoLvErS aRe ThE only handgun you'll ever need.
NoBoDy AsKs fOr the Riddle of PlAsTiC.
If YoU NeEd mOre 'an 6 ShOts YoU NeEd MoRe RaNgE taiime...

Firearms technology peaked in the 40s. M1 Guhraynd best dang rifle I tell you whut. Shoots a man's man cartridge thurdy ought six not one em thar wimpy tew tew threes that tumble like back in Nam.
And other fuddisms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies