Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 04:15 PM

50,083 posts, read 46,663,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
Wait until the impact of the SALT deduction limit ripples through the housing market. When people figure out that the tax deductible incentives of home ownership have been effectively eliminated, residential real estate values are going to decrease dramatically. Tax incentives for buying a house have been a major factor for decades.
Maybe some areas but just like last time beach communities held strong. Vegas and Phoenix got crushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 04:17 PM

29,895 posts, read 18,733,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I admit that the new tax law did affect me badly in some ways, but nothing compared to the way that it did my friends in California. My best friend didn’t even want to talk about it when I asked him. He said that it was the FIRST time that he ever OWED $ back. It seems to me that it hit them like a sudden earthquake. Then, I recalled the way that Reagan instituted his Tax Reform back in 1986. I was only in my 20s then, but remember that the estate tax was raised GRADUALLY from $600,000 to higher amounts over time. The credit card debt went from a 100% deduction GRADUALLY to lower deductible percentages each year. Bottom line, it gave taxpayers some time to prepare! The way in which these tax increases were rolled out seems too sudden and like simple retribution. No matter what, we are all still Americans whether we live in a blue or red state. I think that Reagan understood that regardless of his other faults.

In addition, I understand that the $10000 SALT limit will NOT increase with inflation (home price appreciation and tax increases). That also puts an additional TAX INCREASE over time for those ppl.
It was purposely done to get more taxes from California, Illinois, NY, NJ, Conn, Mass....and it was designed to allow resident in the red states to pay less...masterful.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:19 PM

7,163 posts, read 4,724,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It was purposely done to get more taxes from California, Illinois, NY, NJ, Conn, Mass....and it was designed to allow resident in the red states to pay less...masterful.
I wouldn’t be celebrating too much-Lady Karma doesn’t like that.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:23 PM

7,163 posts, read 4,724,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
But only those states with high tax rates.
No.

If a couple’s deductions don’t go over 24K, you can’t deduct interest and taxes. What’s the point of owning a house then?

Old 04-16-2019, 04:25 PM

45,317 posts, read 26,855,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Fiddlesticks!

They want services and better education. Some people do not want to live like Mississippi, Alabama and the rest of the American Bangladesh.
OK... Great. Blue state taxes have not been affected in any way by the SALT tax changes.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:30 PM

39,807 posts, read 26,327,258 times
How are the federal tax laws "cruel to blue staters"? The tax law is the same for all people (now), regardless of which state you live in-at least after you hit the SALT deduction limit. Previously two individuals that made the same amount of money paid a different amount of federal income tax, depending on the state tax they paid. How was it not cruel to "red staters" to have to subsidize the federal income tax of "blue staters"?

And even in blue states-it's only the rich with large amounts of mortgage interest and state taxes that are impacted, not the lower or low-median middle class taxpayer that is impacted. After all, the standard deduction for a married couple is $24,000. Now-don't we all think the rich should pay "their fair share"? Though, to be honest-even with the SALT deduction limit, they may still pay less, due to the tax rates being lower.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
Wait until the impact of the SALT deduction limit ripples through the housing market. When people figure out that the tax deductible incentives of home ownership have been effectively eliminated, residential real estate values are going to decrease dramatically. Tax incentives for buying a house have been a major factor for decades.
Which will be a good thing. Income tax payers should not be subsidizing an artificial housing bubble. One that inflates home prices out of reach of many middle class taxpayers.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,766,709 times
Cruel? Why? The high tax states were in essence stealing from the federal government by allowing the deduction... Personally, I would allow ZERO deductions from State taxes and property taxes... Why the heck should anyone get a deduction for that...

Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 PM

11,074 posts, read 10,632,892 times
Quote:
Fiddlesticks!

They want services and better education. Some people do not want to live like Mississippi, Alabama and the rest of the American Bangladesh.
And? They can continue to pay a ridiculous level of taxes on the local and state in order to get them. They just went be able to write them off at the federal level now. In other words, they're paying their fair share.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Fiddlesticks!

Citizens in every state get education and services provided. Paying more in taxes does not guarantee better quality of either. I grew up in NYS, with a horribly high tax rate, both on income and property. Guess what? The roads and parks are not in any better shape than here in Idaho (which has about 1/3 the property tax rate). The schools are little different. The roads get plowed. After seeing the road conditions in CA, particularly the LA area-I can certainly say those taxpayers are not getting their money's worth.

Now-if the citizens of blue states do want better services-they should be willing to pay for them-not push their tax burden off to places like Mississippi, Alabama or the rest of the American Bangladesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies