Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 07:45 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The ability to make a logical inference perhaps? Arguing that something is bad and takes up space is the same as arguing to get rid of it.
Please don't make the mistake that Progressives will extrapolate. They will ignore the obvious to protect their leftist, destructive agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 AM

4,653 posts, read 1,947,611 times
Librarians are predominately Liberal, I finished my MLIS graduate program in 2012 and was surprised then and after with the viewpoints of many Librarians. While in Grad school the big debate was in removing the N Word from Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn which was done during that time for some editions. A large number of people in our classes and the instructors supported this, so not to offend some students. I thought it was the path down a dangerous road, especially with the advent of digitalization, which makes it all too easy to change text and revise news or history to whatever the powers that be want it to be. I also remember in 2009 when Amazon yanked the book 1984 right off peoples Kindles with no notice. Although this was because Amazon didn't have the rights to sell the Work it still shows how easy the control of information can be.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:54 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Library Journal, founded in 1876 by the inventor of the Dewey Decimal System, is the leading journal for professional librarians in the English speaking world. Six hours ago, it tweeted out this from Sofia Leung, a librarian at MIT:

Sofia Leung's blog

"Whiteness" as a Waste of Space, by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review
I just read the blog. There is no talk of purging books. What was not true in what she wrote?

Old 04-24-2019, 08:41 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Librarians are predominately Liberal, I finished my MLIS graduate program in 2012 and was surprised then and after with the viewpoints of many Librarians. While in Grad school the big debate was in removing the N Word from Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn which was done during that time for some editions. A large number of people in our classes and the instructors supported this, so not to offend some students. I thought it was the path down a dangerous road, especially with the advent of digitalization, which makes it all too easy to change text and revise news or history to whatever the powers that be want it to be. I also remember in 2009 when Amazon yanked the book 1984 right off peoples Kindles with no notice. Although this was because Amazon didn't have the rights to sell the Work it still shows how easy the control of information can be.

It was either my 4th or 5th grade teacher that read Tom Sawyer to the class. In it's unedited form. I'm sitting here now trying to remember all the various books I read growing up and over the years and am finding I didn't pay much attention to the color of the authors.

There' only a few books I can bring to mind that is a certainty with and they are easy to remember. Ngyuen Giap: Peoples War Peoples Army, Tsun Tsu: The Art of War, :Miyamoto Musashi: The Book of Five Rings, :Bruce Lee: The Tao of Jeet Kun Do. These are the only books I can recall the authors race with Other than White male of course . I guess that's a gimme.

I fail to see this librarians quandary truthfully. If literature is good, or excellent, the color of the author is irrelevant. Would she see all the classics taken away just because authors were White males? Does, say Moby Dick, somehow warp young Black or brown minds?

Sounds like just another reason to complain that nobody has brought up yet so she jumped on it.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:27 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Call the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I just read the blog. There is no talk of purging books. What was not true in what she wrote?
Agree - the blog doesn't contain a call for purging books. So why is that the title of this thread?

Old 04-24-2019, 06:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
What do Native-Americans think about immigration? Do you even care?

Do you think Native-Americans are for open-borders? Rofl
I don’t give a crap about native Americans? Why should I?

Old 04-24-2019, 06:43 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default You'll probably lose a lot of weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I don’t give a crap about native Americans? Why should I?
Fine. Put back & don't consume any more tobacco, corn, potato, quinine, chocolate, vanilla & all the products derived from them. Then you'll be square. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbian_exchange#Crops for a more complete list:

"Crops[edit]

"Several plants native to the Americas have spread around the world, including potato, maize, tomato, and tobacco.[5] Before 1500, potatoes were not grown outside of South America. By the 19th century they were found in nearly every cookpot in Europe and had conquered India and North America. Potatoes eventually became an important staple of the diet in much of Europe, contributing to about 25% of the population growth in Afro-Eurasia between 1700 and 1900.[6] Many European rulers, including Frederick the Great of Prussia and Catherine the Great of Russia, encouraged the cultivation of the potato.[7]

"Maize and cassava, introduced by the Portuguese from South America in the 16th century,[8] have replaced sorghum and millet as Africa's most important food crops.[9] 16th-century Spanish colonizers introduced new staple crops to Asia from the Americas, including maize and sweet potatoes, and thereby contributed to population growth in Asia.[10] On a larger scale, the coming of potatoes and maize to the old world "resulted in caloric and nutritional improvements over previously existing staples" throughout the Eurasian landmass[11] as they created more varied and abundant food production.[12]

"Tomatoes, which came to Europe from the New World via Spain, were initially prized in Italy mainly for their ornamental value (see below). From the 19th century tomato sauces became typical of Neapolitan cuisine and, ultimately, Italian cuisine in general.[13] Coffee (introduced in the Americas circa 1720) from Africa and the Middle East and sugarcane (introduced from the Indian subcontinent) from the Spanish West Indies became the main export commodity crops of extensive Latin American plantations. Introduced to India by the Portuguese, chili and potatoes from South America have become an integral part of Indian cuisine.[14]"

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

& BTW, potatoes & corn & derivatives are nearly everywhere in the food chain, & in other manufacturing as well.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:30 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
The ability to make a logical inference perhaps? Arguing that something is bad and takes up space is the same as arguing to get rid of it.
No, it's not.

I think most Republicans are bad and take up space, but I don't want to get rid of them.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:58 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Sorry - where in that quote does it suggest purging? Am I missing something?
Yes, it would appear so.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
The women is clearly deeply racist and has no place in an institution of higher learning. Her own words adequately demonstrate why: "I still have some thinking to do around this topic, but curious to hear what others think. I’m less interested in hearing that you don’t buy it, so don’t bother with those types of comments."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies