U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:30 PM

374 posts, read 179,256 times

Advertisements

Why Do Whites insists that Blacks just "get over it" and move on. Or "let forget about it and treat everyone equal" ? Why do I see so many posts from whites that want blacks to forget their past. To forget slavery, discrimination. Civil Rights era. I hear...get over it! Let's just move on and treat everyone the same. Like it's that simple. Does talking about race make whites uncomfortable. Should we ask the Jews to forget the Holocaust too? Seems to me that the reason that the black community suffers from proverty, lack of self esteem, and other ills is because of the past. The discrimination of the past has lead to the endless cycle of dispair and proverty. Why are whites so scared or uncomfortable when it comes to talking about race?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,847,568 times
i think we should just forget about it and move on, those slaves were bought over here by europeans and whites died freeing the slaves, the reason why black live in poverty, despair has to do with living in areas without jobs and underfunded schools

Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 PM
miu

17,141 posts, read 34,629,642 times
Well count me as an Asian American who feels that blacks should just get over it. Talking about race doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. But of course, it's difficult to talk to a black person with a chip on their shoulder about this stuff because they just get all defensive and belligerent about it and say how offended they are about the discussion.

As to the Jews and the Holocaust, it's different imo because the ones that talk about it the most aren't letting the past cripple themselves to the point of not being able to function in our society and being chronically poverty stricken. I have many Jewish friends and they aren't angry or bitter, and they never talk about the Holocaust to me. They just act like regular productive people.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,557,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Why Do Whites insists that Blacks just "get over it" and move on. Or "let forget about it and treat everyone equal" ? Why do I see so many posts from whites that want blacks to forget their past. To forget slavery, discrimination. Civil Rights era. I hear...get over it! Let's just move on and treat everyone the same. Like it's that simple. Does talking about race make whites uncomfortable. Should we ask the Jews to forget the Holocaust too? Seems to me that the reason that the black community suffers from proverty, lack of self esteem, and other ills is because of the past. The discrimination of the past has lead to the endless cycle of dispair and proverty. Why are whites so scared or uncomfortable when it comes to talking about race?
Shame, guilt and making themselves feel better by putting down those less fortunate or people they FEEL are "less" than they are.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
i think we should just forget about it and move on, those slaves were bought over here by europeans and whites died freeing the slaves, the reason why black live in poverty, despair has to do with living in areas without jobs and underfunded schools
You see, you comment proves to me some of the ignorance of the black community. That is just a slice of the problem. But WHY do they live in areas without jobs? Why are the schools underfunded?????

Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well count me as an Asian American who feels that blacks should just get over it. Talking about race doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. But of course, it's difficult to talk to a black person with a chip on their shoulder about this stuff because they just get all defensive and belligerent about it and say how offended they are about the discussion.

As to the Jews and the Holocaust, it's different imo because the ones that talk about it the most aren't letting the past cripple themselves to the point of not being able to function in our society and being chronically poverty stricken. I have many Jewish friends and they aren't angry or bitter, and they never talk about the Holocaust to me. They just act like regular productive people.
With all due respect, you as an Asian can not tell Blacks to get over it. Because of the Slaves work, this country was able to grow and prosper.Your family wasn't brought her on slaves ships across the pacific in horrifc, subhuman conditions. Asians did not live in the South and told to sit in the back of the bus and drink from seperate fountains. So YOU have NO RIGHT to tell blacks to get over it. Chip on their shoulder...ignorance!And Jews can hide their religion...blacks can not hide the color of their skin. You need to learn a lot about race in this country.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,504,382 times
The REAL QUESTION is why do you wish to perpetuate it? Its gone, history, nobody alive was ever a slave & while shameful racist things happened in the past its been fixed. Deal with it. People act as if noone but Africans were ever inslaved.
Its racist of you to suggest that all white people were involved in slavery anyway. My family wasn't here & had nothing to do with the slave trade.

The Jews remember the Halocoust, but they dont use it as an excuse for failure. I dont see the Jewish community crying about racism holding them back. They know its over & they moved on. They remember but they got over it. Try it, getting over it I mean. Its much nicer having a good outlook on life than worrying about things that are long gone.
Have a great weekend!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,805,237 times
Quote:
Well, the alternative to "getting over it" is dwelling on it. If not seeking any additional considerations as victims, what is gained through this regurgitation?

Affirmative action has been blasted, and appropriately so, by many black leaders as demeaning. Those who succeed sometimes have a shadow overhanging the accomplishments.

I think additional considerations were appropriate for periods of time after injustices were corrected, but at some point the folks weren't part of the group that was victimized, and the discussion should evaporate.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:14 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,125,307 times
Quote:
Why do some people insist on being collectivists? All "white people" don't think all "black people" are a certain way, or should do a certain thing.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:20 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,109,455 times
I wouldn't say forget about it, we all know blacks have been historically mistreated, and that shouldn't be forgotten, but I would say we all need to move on from past treatment of any group we may belong to.

I am a women, and women have historically been treated as second class citizens and property, but now I must move on and make my life the best it can be. Even though there is still spoken and unspoken discrimination I know the only way to fight it is to work hard and succeed in whatever I choose to do. If I sit around and complain about the mistreatment of women nothing would change, and it would only would serve to alienate men and cause them to respect me less.

Women have come a long way, and so have blacks and other races. The laws have been changed, at this point the only way to end discrimination is through personal success despite the discrimination (often denied)that does still exist. Success through action is the only thing that cannot be questioned, it's proof of equality. Complaining does nothing, it's inaction. Life isn't fair, we must accept this and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or