U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 AM

11,402 posts, read 3,111,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No, that's because I'm not an anti-government type like you, who thinks government should never help anyone, ever. There IS a place for moderation, you know.

Just as there is a difference between programs that are funded by the beneficiaries themselves (such as SS or Medicare) and truly "free" programs (to those receiving them) such as EBT.

What would you have? Our elderly just eat cat food and suffer in pain when they get sick?

There seem to be three groups:

1) The leftists, who say we should give free whatever to whoever needs it, be it college, loan forgiveness, guaranteed income, etc., etc.

2) People like you, who say nobody gets anything ever - and everyone is totally on his own - even a five-year-old, a mentally disabled adult, or an 80-year-old who can no longer work.

3) And then there are people like ME, who have it exactly right: Assistance to those who are truly incapable of supporting themselves, and nothing to able-bodied adults in their working years, other than a temporary "hand" for a few months when someone loses their job through no fault of their own. (Taking a bow.)
No, it's only your opinion that you have it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM

14,492 posts, read 3,832,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
According to the CDC, most childhood ear infections are viral, not bacterial. Almost all will resolve themselves on their own. Pediatricians are counseled not to prescribe antibiotics because of their overuse.

• AOE (Acute otitis externa) is an infection of the ear canal can be treated with antibiotic ear drops.
  • OME (Otitis Media with Effusion) usually goes away on its own and does not benefit from antibiotics.
  • AOM (Acute Otitis Media) is usually viral, but might be bacterial; in either case, the body’s immune system can fight off the infection without help from antibiotics.
Shows how an uneducated public demands stuff that is bad for them.

Another little known fact is that 80% of big pharma companies have discontinued antibiotic research. Why? Well, there is no money in it! The LAST think Big Pharma wants is something you take for 2 weeks and then you are done...fixed. Worse yet, they have to develop new formulations every 3-5 years because of overuse (like that other poster WANTED).....which costs money.

Two strikes against it. This is why corporate health care doesn't work. They are happier when you have to take a patented product for the rest of your life.

I'm 66 and haven't taken an antibiotic in 30 years. Before that it about 15 years. Short of an infection that was going to cause amputation of complete poisoning of my system, I wouldn't touch it.

And people want them at Walmart????

Old 04-17-2019, 10:53 AM

833 posts, read 133,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obamacare could have fixed that.
Maybe, remains to be seen of states will willingly give up their right to control insurance regulations within their state or allow he federal goverment to take over. Every state has its own requirements and states both red and blue have fought to continue that standards, Florida being one.

So for you states rights folks, would you be ok with the federal goverment dictating insurance coverage minimums to every state and remove control from governors and state medical boards? We are talking private insurance here.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:54 AM

5,270 posts, read 1,956,699 times
Medicare is not free, but for most it will be cheaper than private insurance.

People underestimate just how expensive private insurance is. When you pay a private insurance premium, your money isn't just paying for the cost of medical care, it also pays for billions of profit, huge multi-million CEO benefit packages and golden parachutes.

I'm all for free market capitalism but I don't believe it is moral or appropriate for a company to make a profit off of other people's illnesses. Not only that, the profit motive provides insurance companies an incentive to deny coverage. In a civilized country the sick and dying should not have to resort to begging on GoFundMe.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM

1,144 posts, read 638,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Medicare is not free, but for most it will be cheaper than private insurance.

People underestimate just how expensive private insurance is. When you pay a private insurance premium, your money isn't just paying for the cost of medical care, it also pays for billions of profit, huge multi-million CEO benefit packages and golden parachutes.

I'm all for free market capitalism but I don't believe it is moral or appropriate for a company to make a profit off of other people's illnesses. Not only that, the profit motive provides insurance companies an incentive to deny coverage. In a civilized country the sick and dying should not have to resort to begging on GoFundMe.

And good luck to them if they're not attractive people. We seem to be devolving into a society where the ugly are becoming 2nd class citizens.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 AM

26,059 posts, read 8,855,158 times
Medicare is not Free Healthcare!

Not only is it not free but it won't remain the same when hundreds of millions of people are put on it.

It will be a hellish government bureaucratic boondoggle full of fraud waste and abuse.

A cash cow to mass poverty. The good news is, its not going to happen.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:09 AM

8,848 posts, read 3,892,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
10 minutes - what it should have taken in total, is worth about $30 - that is, a total of $150-$180 per hour for the NP and the overhead and all.

So it's 300% more than it should be.
In any medical encounter, medical standards need to be met. For an acute ear problem, a relatively simple and brief visit, some medical history and physical exam are of course required. Including some things that might not seem pertinent at the time. 10 minutes or so face to face with the patient should do it. In most cases too much extra time is then needed to enter the new medical information obtained into the electronic medical record. Especially if this is a new patient for the doc or clinic.

IMO as a long time doc and patient, this encounter is worth about $100. The convenience is worth a significant amount. Business overheads have to be paid.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:13 AM

14,518 posts, read 8,357,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
They should look for a new job. Most employers offer better plans than that.
Many employers offer zero health coverage. I work in the medical field and am astounded at the number of doctors' offices who no longer offer any coverage at all.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:13 AM

8,848 posts, read 3,892,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I have not seen this discussed but a large percentage of the candidates for president in 2020 seem to be supporting Medicare For All.
I am wondering if all these folks supporting this concept realize that Medicare only covers 80% of your required healthcare needs. Who is going to pay the remaining 20%? What if the patient says they can't afford it, will they be turned away?
Today when you go into the hospital or see a doctors they ask for your Medicare card and what supplement you carry. No Medicare Supplement plan, you much pay the 20% upfront. Will this fly with folks thinking they are getting free healthcare?
In addition, Medicare is not free, there is a modest premium for it. What about those that will not or say they cannot pay it?
I really believe there is a general misunderstanding about Medicare, it is not free healthcare!
Please folks that are fans of Medicare For All, please respond to the above. I'm not totally against Medicare For All but am against Free Healthcare, big difference and I think there is a bunch of confusion between the two.
Requiring the paying of the 20% upfront is not typical in my experience as a long time doc. Patients more typically are billed. With many more complicated medical encounters there are too many uncertainties and unknowns to have any idea at the start what needs to be done, and at what cost.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM

77,707 posts, read 33,130,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Maybe, remains to be seen of states will willingly give up their right to control insurance regulations within their state or allow he federal goverment to take over. Every state has its own requirements and states both red and blue have fought to continue that standards, Florida being one.

So for you states rights folks, would you be ok with the federal goverment dictating insurance coverage minimums to every state and remove control from governors and state medical boards? We are talking private insurance here.
If we had done the right thing, there would be no insurance to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or