Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

There will always be homeless but reducing the number of "vets" is a realistic goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 08:48 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There will always be homeless but reducing the number of "vets" is a realistic goal.

True, but convincing people that spending near a Trillion dollars on defense spending and Billions more for VA services to fight wars that have nothing to do with the defense of the USA seems impossible. I have tried and failed so many times with people from both the Right and Left.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:53 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
True, but convincing people that spending near a Trillion dollars on defense spending and Billions more for VA services to fight wars that have nothing to do with the defense of the USA seems impossible. I have tried and failed so many times with people from both the Right and Left.
I dont disagree entirely, just read the posts here on C-D as a litmus.But the US empire will collapse someday and its disgustingly bloated military will be a big reason for it. No convincing will be needed once it does.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:34 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
well, how much of these defense budget is really used for quality veterans' health care?

Simply funding VA is not the answer. Plus, only a VERY VERY VERY TINY percentage of "veterans" have actually seen combat.

Just check the military forum, every once in a while, you have people in their 30s ask questions how can they get a graphic designer jobs in the military. Military is like a job corps for a lot of people. I don't like it, but what can we do about it?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-22-2019 at 10:44 AM..

Old 04-23-2019, 04:16 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I think people are still pushing too much of their own feelings into this. The definition of "to give" is to give. It doesn't mean "give with strings attached" or "give provided you use as I direct you to" or anything like that. If you want someone to use something the way you want them to use it when you give it to them, have them sign a contract. Or if you want someone to use money to buy a sandwich, then buy him the sandwich instead.

But if you give someone something, it's no longer yours. It's his, and he can do whatever he wants with it. Period. You relinquished your claim to whatever you gave him when you willing passed whatever it was from you to him. So now you get to shut up while that person does what he wants with what you gave him.

And so what if someone isn't homeless and chooses to beg for a living? Who's holding a gun at your head and making you give to him?

The point is, you could also go out on the streets and beg to make money. No one is stopping you. But if you won't for whatever reason, then quit putting down the people who do. The difference is they're just willing to do a job you refuse to do because you feel you're so much better than they are.

I don't know, I've seen an awful lot of CEOs screw over their employees and their customers for want of a little more money. Somehow, I don't think one is more honest and upright just because he wears a suit and sits at a desk as he collects his cash.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:19 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I've taken a few to a Super Walmart and bought them everything they said they needed. Clothes, socks, shoes, chargers, jackets, sleeping bag, plus sacks of nonperishable food, etc. After doing that with one guy I even took him about 3 hours out of my way, asking him to pick between two major cities which were about 1/3 of the way to where he said he was heading. I didn't hand him a dime but I did give him a lot of what he immediately needed.
If you truly did this...While I don’t agree with your politics, I have new respect for you. Well done.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:55 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times
Quote:
true the cost of just one navy battle group of which we have a dozen could work wonders...I have been homeless and its an adventure the first time second and third time not so much...
but these kind of posts are meant as Reagan welfare queen was meant to paint ALL homeless as negative

the next post will be something about the over deployed combat vets who commit suicide in the dozens daily as some sort of McCain "losers" anyways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies