U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 AM

66,240 posts, read 30,153,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The income tax rates, which is the topic here, in Europe are progressive.
The discussion had already run the gamut from payroll taxes to sales, gas, etc., taxes in this thread.

I suggest either a flat federal income tax: everyone pays the same federal income tax rate, and/or a 25% VAT tax.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:13 AM

148 posts, read 274,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not buying it. EVERYONE in European countries pays the 20%-25% VAT tax. If the European poor can afford to pay, so can the poor in the US.
The VAT is not an income tax, it is analogous to the sales tax in the U.S, which everyone does pay.

Quote:
1/3 of tax filers, paid NO income tax. NONE!
I am among those who paid no federal income tax, my liability was actually negative.

But I did pay state income taxes, payroll taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, & fees (taxes at point-of-service).

Old 04-18-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The income tax rates, which is the topic here, in Europe are progressive.
Their income tax brackets are actually fewer and much more flat, and their middle class is in the top tax bracket.

The average income earner's effective national tax rate is in the second column from the right on page 9:

http://www.institutmolinari.org/IMG/...en-eu-2017.pdf

Can you even imagine a US household with an income of $59,000 (national average) being expected to pay a 45% effective federal tax rate? Do you think Americans would agree to that?

Old 04-18-2019, 08:20 AM

6,771 posts, read 2,489,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Good for them.

Why cheer against folks who managed to evade an armed robber?
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Now let's get started on the other 2/3.
and this

Old 04-18-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgr View Post
The VAT is not an income tax, it is analogous to the sales tax in the U.S, which everyone does pay.
No one in the US pays a national sales tax. Europeans do. Implement a 25% national VAT tax in the US. That way, many more people actually get closer to paying their fair share.
Quote:
I am among those who paid no federal income tax, my liability was actually negative.

But I did pay state income taxes, payroll taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, excise taxes, & fees (taxes at point-of-service).
So does everyone else. That doesn't let you off the hook for your "social contract" responsibility to help fund Fed Gov. Time for you to pay federal income tax, too.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:23 AM

9,730 posts, read 8,000,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
1/3 of tax filers, paid NO income tax. NONE!

People making over 100,000 paid 80% of all taxes.

Now.... Feel the BERN!

Top 10% own 83% of the wealth
Bottom 40% own less than 1%.

Let the people who actually own a stake pay for it.

Yes I pay income taxes. I just don't pile on some poor dude making 10 bucks an hour telling how awesome his life is and how he is not pulling his weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Taxation is theft, purely and simply even though it is theft on a grand and colossal scale which no acknowledged criminals could hope to match. It is a compulsory seizure of the property of the State’s inhabitants, or subjects.”
Redefining theft and repeating it 50 times a day still does not make it true.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

"Own a stake?" No one "owns a stake" in the Fed Gov. According to the "social contract" lefties keep insisting upon, everyone is responsible for contributing to the expense of the Fed Gov.

And it's actually the low-income who uses a significant portion of Fed Gov services/benefits without contributing a dime. 25% of the budget, approx $1 trillion, is spent on Medicaid, Food Stamps, Welfare, and other federal means-tested public assistance programs.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:29 AM

29,605 posts, read 16,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

Yes I pay income taxes. I just don't pile on some poor dude making 10 bucks an hour telling how awesome his life is and how he is not pulling his weight.

Redefining theft and repeating it 50 times a day still does not make it true.
your failure to recognize it for what it is, is no reason to stop pointing it out.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 AM

32,979 posts, read 19,952,237 times
well, I am not interested in a debate. This is just my opinion, i think of taxes as a way of “cost sharing” . Like a co-operative. In reality, that is their purpose.

The problem is that many of our tax dollars are “wasted”. Hence, the bad rap.

I have no problem with a correctly enforced Tax System. We should each pay our fair share.

I am not saying poor folks making $12/hour should pay 30%, but they should pay some, just like the rest of us.

I must be IRS best friend. Every year (well, almost) they claim I haven't paid something. I think I overpaid, but they think otherwise. lol

For the people who pay ZERO, well, since we have a tax system now, I don't think it is fair for the rest of the people who pay. I mean, pay zero?

Old 04-18-2019, 08:47 AM

8,348 posts, read 1,896,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So you demand all of government be privatized?
Nope. I want all of the government to disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or