U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 11:08 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,750,098 times

Advertisements

Where are you, Sorel36?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 11:45 PM

1,244 posts, read 709,331 times
Mtl

Old 04-18-2019, 11:57 PM

13,980 posts, read 10,920,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Funny thing about you progressive globalists...you go around starting all the wars!
I'm for stopping them. So why is military spending further exploding under Trump instead of investing that money at home?

Old 04-19-2019, 12:32 AM

2,510 posts, read 531,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'm for stopping them. So why is military spending further exploding under Trump instead of investing that money at home?
Bigger question is why the Dems want to spend all the money on illegals instead of actual citizens.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Mtl
Montreal?

I'm doubtful of your claim, for a few reasons.

First of all, nobody in Canada "applies" for a family doctor, except perhaps for picking up the phone and directly calling family doctors. You'd ask, "Are you accepting new patients?" and the answer would be either Yes or No. If it was Yes, you'd go ahead and book an appointment. If it was No, you'd ask for recommendations for family physicians who are accepting new patients. A five-year wait would be unheard of, especially in a big city like Montreal. Maybe in Smalltown, Saskatchewan, but in Montreal, there would be some taking on new patients, and the physician who says No should be able to refer you on to a physician who will say Yes.

To whom would you "apply" for a family doctor anyway? I cannot imagine "applying" for a family doctor.

Nextly, your claim that "doctors' salaries are capped." Physicians are self-employed businesspeople, so who would be capping their salaries? Themselves? They don't get salaries; they pay themselves. Payments from the single-payer system are on a procedure-based basis, so the more procedures they perform, the more they get paid. It is in their interest to perform procedures, since the more they perform, the more they can claim for.

And finally, private clinics are perfectly legal, and have been for ages. It is very common for physicians to form into a partnership or a limited liability corporation, in order to treat patients on an economy of scale (three physicians can use one receptionist at the clinic, instead of three receptionists in separate offices, for example). What they cannot do is to claim amounts outside the provincial Schedule of Benefits, so they claim according to that, and submit claims to the government. But, on an economy of scale basis, by forming into a private clinic, they maximize their profit while minimizing their overhead.

I hope that you can see why I'm doubtful, but I'd welcome comments from Quebecers as to whether "applying" for a family physician is the norm in Quebec.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:50 AM

1,244 posts, read 709,331 times
B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Montreal?

I'm doubtful of your claim, for a few reasons.
Whatever. Each time someone says Canada is less than perfect some random person pops up and spews a lot of nonsense.

If you are Canadian you should know by now differences exist between provinces. I don't know about AB but i don't see how it would be much better than here since the general rules are the same mostly.

No one in Canada applies for a family doctor huh ?

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/find...family-doctor/

Doctor salaries are not capped right ?

"Since the provincial governments can control how much doctors earn, for example by putting a cap on their billing, there could be a drastic difference between them."

https://www.narcity.com/life/heres-h...vince-in-canda

Private clinics legal for ages ?

"the province doesn't provide timely medical services, yet residents are prohibited from accessing private health care."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...them-1.4190549

That's canadian healthcare for you.

Good night. I don't have time addressing the rest of your nonsense.

Last edited by Sorel36; 04-19-2019 at 01:31 AM..

Old 04-19-2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Whatever. Each time someone says Canada is less than perfect some random person pops up and spews a lot of nonsense.
I'm speaking truth. My ex-wife was a medical professional; I know what she went through in terms of billing. Canada's healthcare is not perfect and it has room for improvement, but it's not like we're paying outrageous taxes for it, or giving up groceries, paying the mortgage, putting gas in the car, etc. because of taxes.

Quote:
If you are Canadian you should know by now differences exist between provinces. I don't know about AB but i don't see how it would be much better than here since the general rules are the same mostly.
I am Canadian, and I am well aware that differences exist between provinces. Mostly minor; if I have a heart attack in Ontario, I'll be treated professionally and well and at no out-of-pocket cost to me; if my kid wants to go to camp in Ontario, I may have to pay for a doctor's note.

Quote:
No one in Canada applies for a family doctor huh ?

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/find...family-doctor/

Okay, fine, you can put your name on a waiting list in Quebec. Why don't you just pick up the phone and call around? Heck, I can pick up the phone here in Alberta, and have an appointment tomorrow. I can walk into a private clinic here and be seen by a physician in an hour. Use your phone and the Yellow Pages instead of a website.

Quote:
Doctor salaries are not capped right ?

"Since the provincial governments can control how much doctors earn, for example by putting a cap on their billing, there could be a drastic difference between them."

https://www.narcity.com/life/heres-h...vince-in-canda
Again, I'll ask: Salaried by whom? There are caps on some procedures, but not all. Caps, where they are, are on a sliding scale: you could do, say, ten X procedures per month at 100% of the Schedule; after that, you could do ten X procedures at 75% of the Schedule, the next ten X procedures at 50%, and so on. Source: My ex-wife, a medical professional, who dealt with all this. At any rate, she was not salaried; she was a self-employed professional doctor, who determined on her own how much she worked; and therefore, how much she got paid. She was never salaried in her private practice.

Quote:
Private clinics legal for ages ?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...them-1.4190549
Okay, we have to agree on just what a "private clinic" is. I'm looking at them as private physicians forming a partnership or an LLC for purposes of economy of scale. You seem to be saying that a "private clinic" is one where patients pay cash for head-of-the-line treatment. If that's the case, then you should say so.

Under my definition, private clinics have been legal for ages. My ex-wife--a medical professional, like I said--was in one. She had a share in the LLC she belonged to. She, and the other doctors in the LLC, claimed according to the Schedule of Benefits, and made a decent profit. What she (and they) didn't do was to declare themselves outside the public (government-paid) sphere, as you allude to. But she and the other doctors made a pile of money anyway.

Quote:
Good night. I don't have time addressing the rest of your nonsense.
I don't think I'm speaking nonsense, but I will wish you a good night also.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:13 AM

6,233 posts, read 4,168,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
According to crazy Bernie....universal healthcare in the long run will cost less and be more efficient...is he right?
According to the OECD spending per capita on healthcare (private and public combined) in US dollars 2016
US 9,892
Canada 4,753
UK 4,192
Germany 5,551
Australia 4,708
France 4,600
Switzerland 7,919

So certainly Canada spends less than the US, and has universal healthcare. As do all those sampled countries I listed. Indeed medically Switzerland is pretty much a gold standard and still spends less per person than the US.

Issue with US healthcare isn't public/private spending it's the runaway medical costs that are just insane. This is caused by industry costs (insurance or lack thereof) but also completely opaque billing methods, remember the $10 per tylenol costs?

Two easy ways to fix it are, single payer, or remove the insurance middleman (the patient will be responsible for payment, like well now, and receives reimbursement by insurance). This eliminates the in network scam too, where medical services must "overcharge" out of network and self-payers to receive a negotiated rate from their "in network" insurers.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:01 AM

45,786 posts, read 34,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Their waiting list for surgeries are hideous.

Some non- urgent surgeries in some Provence’s, some of the time.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:05 AM

45,786 posts, read 34,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
This is my historic issue with Canadian healthcare. Wait times for simple diagnostic procedures required to begin proper treatment are simply way too long. The current prioritization schedule in Ontario leaves non-emergency patients waiting an average of 31 days for an MRI that is supposed to take place within 28 days. That’s current data directly from https://www.hqontario.ca/System-Perf...nostic-Imaging.
According to the link, 79% of NON-URGENT scans were accomplished during the prescribed time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or