Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:56 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Ever check out the "notwithstanding clause"? Or for that matter Clause 1, which states: "1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society." For lack of a better moniker I call that the "Swiss Cheese Clause."
JBG, let's not get into this.

You know very well, that I know Canada's Constitution better than any American (even, dare I say, you); and that I know it better than, I'd guess, 99.9% of Canadians.

I'd suggest that neither you, nor the mods, nor the admins, nor other posters, want me to write an 8500-word essay defending Charter section 1. Because I can.

Aside to ncguy50: When you have studied and practiced as much Canadian constitutional law as I have, perhaps you can comment on Canada's Charter s. 7. Until then, you might wish to refrain from commenting on foreign constitutions that you apparently have not studied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Ever check out the "notwithstanding clause"? Or for that matter Clause 1, which states: "1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society." For lack of a better moniker I call that the "Swiss Cheese Clause."
Oh do you now? What do you call these examples of the supposed superior speech protection in the U.S. :
https://www.pcgamer.com/man-jailed-6...ally-released/

https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/tech/...ter/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

Where the rubber actually hits the road freedom of speech, "reasonable limits prescribed by law" would seem to be somewhat parallel with one country putting voice to that while the other hides behind some ethereal concept written by slaveowners over 200 years ago.

At least two esteemed U.S. law professors, among others seem to agree:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...article552856/

Canada is the World’s Constitutional Superpower – Slaw

Old 04-25-2019, 06:39 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh do you now? What do you call these examples of the supposed superior speech protection in the U.S. :
https://www.pcgamer.com/man-jailed-6...ally-released/

https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/tech/...ter/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

Where the rubber actually hits the road freedom of speech, "reasonable limits prescribed by law" would seem to be somewhat parallel with one country putting voice to that while the other hides behind some ethereal concept written by slaveowners over 200 years ago.

At least two esteemed U.S. law professors, among others seem to agree:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...article552856/

Canada is the World’s Constitutional Superpower – Slaw
Seems Canada wants to hide truths about Islam behind these "reasonable limits prescribed by law". LOL. These so-called "reasonable limits", codified in your Blasphemy Bill, protect Islam from being criticized for oppressing women and murdering gay people. They call these truths "Islamophobia", which is a made up term designed to suppress speech muslims don't like. Yeah, enjoy your 1984-style censorship. Remember, criticism of Islam is just like issuing a threat to blow up a school.

LOL. You crack me up.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:47 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

That can mean anything a government wants it to mean.
Well, the right to liberty in the U.S. for about 80 years was interpreted to mean that slavery was OK.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:03 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Well, the right to liberty in the U.S. for about 80 years was interpreted to mean that slavery was OK.
Well, that's true, Irene. That's a chapter in US history that I don't condone nor did I participate. But the US didn't invent slavery. There's been plenty of nations across the globe who conquered, subjugated, and enslaved other tribes/nations and I dare say you have never brought that up in a post, have you? Slavery is STILL GOING ON TODAY. Muslims in Libya currently enslave black people and ISIS muslims buy and sell Yazidi women. (The US has put a kibbosh on that though.)

You're a woke person. Where is your dissent on these muslim atrocities? Are you even allowed to speak out?

Old 04-25-2019, 07:04 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I always found it funny when folks told me (a Canadian who lives in the USA) how in Canada the govt. dictates your care.

WAY more restrictions here in the USA on who you see, how you can be treated and where you can be treated.

Until you have lived with both systems -- you all can have your anecdotes.

I would prefer a Canadian style system.

No I don't think the number of systems available in the USA will directly translate here.

But I think Americans are clever enough to take the best of all these systems around the world and make them work.

I guess I give Americans more credit than they deserve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Depends on what the surgery is and where the patient is.

Same thing in the USA .....

Friend in Del Ray Florida was going to have to way almost five months for surgery on her shoulder.

snip
All my family is in Canada --- three brothers, sister, four sister inlaws and a brother in law, cousins, Aunt,s Uncles, parents. Nobody we know live sin the USA.
You live here but you don't know anybody who lives here? Where is the cave you must live in? How is the wireless coverage there? The contradictions you make in one thread alone will make anyone question your veracity, or your memory, if you can't remember what you said earlier in the same thread.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:46 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Well, that's true, Irene. That's a chapter in US history that I don't condone nor did I participate. But the US didn't invent slavery. There's been plenty of nations across the globe who conquered, subjugated, and enslaved other tribes/nations and I dare say you have never brought that up in a post, have you? Slavery is STILL GOING ON TODAY. Muslims in Libya currently enslave black people and ISIS muslims buy and sell Yazidi women. (The US has put a kibbosh on that though.)

You're a woke person. Where is your dissent on these muslim atrocities? Are you even allowed to speak out?
What a bizarre response. What does that have to do with your comment that Liberty can mean anything the Canadian government wants it to mean and my retort that the U.S. government used to have a ludicrous definition of Liberty.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:58 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
JBG, let's not get into this.

You know very well, that I know Canada's Constitution better than any American (even, dare I say, you); and that I know it better than, I'd guess, 99.9% of Canadians.

I'd suggest that neither you, nor the mods, nor the admins, nor other posters, want me to write an 8500-word essay defending Charter section 1. Because I can.

Aside to ncguy50: When you have studied and practiced as much Canadian constitutional law as I have, perhaps you can comment on Canada's Charter s. 7. Until then, you might wish to refrain from commenting on foreign constitutions that you apparently have not studied.
Quote:
LOL. I understand the objective meaning of words and apparently, you don't like it one bit. Anyone can see there's a difference between inalienable rights, which you don't have, and those subject to the whim of what your government decides constitutes justice. The language in your charter is ambiguous and subject to interpretation. I think that's intentional. To both ChevySpoons and ncguy, a little more civility please.

So you can take your highbrow "I'm an expert" attitude and shove it right up your maple leaf.
ChevySpoons, I respect your knowledge. I don't think I would like the boundaries of my freedoms set by the SCOC, or not to have protection of property rights.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Seems Canada wants to hide truths about Islam behind these "reasonable limits prescribed by law". LOL. These so-called "reasonable limits", codified in your Blasphemy Bill, protect Islam from being criticized for oppressing women and murdering gay people. They call these truths "Islamophobia", which is a made up term designed to suppress speech muslims don't like. Yeah, enjoy your 1984-style censorship. Remember, criticism of Islam is just like issuing a threat to blow up a school.

LOL. You crack me up.
When did you finally let blacks attend high school of their choice again? How many of them are still being shot while unarmed by cops every single day? What's your incarceration rate again? How many teenagers have spent months in jail for gamer site posts? Farmers still going to jail down there for collecting rainwater on their own land?

In Canada no one loses their job for criticizing our elected leaders, much less for the minor issue of flipping the bird to a passing motorcade.

When discussions of human rights and freedoms are the topic, you don't even have a seat in the auditorium, let alone up on the dais with the rest (at last count, about 25 in all) of the freer advanced civilized worlds nations.

While you're "cracking up" the rest of the world is laughing their collective azzes off, and it isn't at Canada.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:43 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Good thing I said " seemingly "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies