Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,017 times

Advertisements

Ask any Canadian, Brit, or whoever if they'd trade their healthcare system for the one we have in the US. Go ahead, ask them. I'll wait right here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Ask any Canadian, Brit, or whoever if they'd trade their healthcare system for the one we have in the US. Go ahead, ask them. I'll wait right here.
Nobody is asking them to. Nobody is pressuring or guilting or demanding that they change their healthcare. And there are plenty of Americans who simply want that same respect.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:44 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
No, the doctors decide how much they charge. Insurance pays what they're going to pay based on negotiated rates and the type of policy you have. The individual pays the rest. *I DECIDE* the coverage I want. I don't need mammograms or maternity services that Obamacare policies dictate I must pay for. If I want high-deductible catastrophic insurance, I can buy that for myself, instead of a similar O-Care policy that is super expensive because I am buying it for myself and someone else who is "less fortunate". Like I'm rich. Sheesh.

What are your questions?
^^ has no idea what they are talking about.

Insurance companies decide what they pay. It isn’t on the patient to make up the difference. What the patient pays is also decided by the insurance company. They’re called co-pays and are either fixed dollar amounts or % of the bill the insurance company decides on.

Derka durr.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:49 PM

1,705 posts, read 537,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Facts are propaganda ?

To enjoy the same level of security they would have to increase their defense spending by a factor much greater than 2. No more social services, or subsidized healthcare, or education.

But... we are already paying 9% less of GDP combined... if we would have to increase out Defense spending to 4%.. we would still be paying 8% LESS of GDP on Healthcare, compared to the US.

So, we would pay 14% of GDP combined.. compared to the US 21%.

If we spent 6% on defense... we would still spend 5% less of GDP combined, compared to the US.

Your argument has nothing to do with healthcare... we have a cheaper and better system... and it has nothing to do that the US spends insane amounts of money on its military!

Old 04-20-2019, 03:55 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Every Canadian I ask states that they want nothing to do with the US healthcare system. They are quite happy in Canada. AND - Canadians live longer then USA folks.

10.44 of GDP - Canada
16.44 of GDP - USA

So who pays more for healthcare? LINK

Old 04-20-2019, 03:59 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
But... we are already paying 9% less of GDP combined... if we would have to increase out Defense spending to 4%.. we would still be paying 8% LESS of GDP on Healthcare, compared to the US.

So, we would pay 14% of GDP combined.. compared to the US 21%.

If we spent 6% on defense... we would still spend 5% less of GDP combined, compared to the US.

Your argument has nothing to do with healthcare... we have a cheaper and better system... and it has nothing to do that the US spends insane amounts of money on its military!

Cheaper I don't doubt it, because the government fixes the prices. Better ? No way. Many can't even see a doctor or get an appointment for simple tests, or as I mentioned earlier, some treatments don't even exist here. As I said, if you want to see a good healthcare system look at France. But France cannot fund its military adequately and its budget deficit has been structural for more than a decade.

In your calculations, you did not subtract the equivalent increase on defense spending from other budgets.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:07 PM

8,122 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
The market determines how much people get paid. But in Canada, the government artificially fixes prices for healthcare. Canada's system is good in the sense that everyone has equal access to it. A big drawback is the availability AND the quality of healthcare. So no it's not perfect or better than in the US where its availability and quality vary depending on your income. Most people still have access to good healthcare there.

A recurring thing with Canadians is they don't fully understand capitalism, or what individual rights and freedom mean.

Important and never mentioned point :

To bring some perspective, the only reason why Canada, the UK or France can afford to invest in healthcare is because they are not responsible for their own defense. The US spends more on defense than all other NATO members combined. Other NATO countries rely on the American military and Canada benefits from this the most. The budget which should normally go to military spending is redirected to social services. NATO members have not met their defense spending obligations and choose to spend on social services instead which is why Donald Trump reminded them of their contractual obligations in 2017. These countries economies are effectively subsidized by the US.

Peace achieved through threat of force has been an effective factor for the world's economic development and has put belligerent countries (USSR, now Russia, and China among others) in check. This is the Pax Americana.

Canada has made the choice not to own nuclear weapons or develop an impressive military. It's expensive and unnecessary : Canada is located north of the lower 48, south of Alaska, west of US military bases in Greenland, well protected. To reach Canada will require to defeat the US first. In those conditions, its government can afford to give money to all families just for having children, and set up a universal healthcare system, while Americans pay for their own defense, the world's defense, and individuals are responsible for their own bills.
Absolutely, I hear Martians are ready to attack. Canada definitely needs protection, lol.

Speaking of not understanding: their HC spending is SMALLER fraction of the GDP compared to the one here, and by a lot. Got it?

Old 04-20-2019, 04:16 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Absolutely, I hear Martians are ready to attack. Canada definitely needs protection, lol.

Speaking of not understanding: their HC spending is SMALLER fraction of the GDP compared to the one here, and by a lot. Got it?

Did you read the discussion, or you were too busy listening to the Martians radio ?

Last edited by Sorel36; 04-20-2019 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-20-2019, 04:18 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,944,426 times
I know the OP asked about Canada, but just to throw this into the mix - Australians pay 2% of their income as a Medicare Levy to subsidise healthcare costs. In addition, cigarettes and alcohol are heavily taxed. Cigarettes are prohibitively expensive. Private health insurance is also an option for elective procedures, and for private hospital stays.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:23 PM

1,705 posts, read 537,691 times
Quote:
Cheaper I don't doubt it, because the government fixes the prices. Better ? No way. Many can't even see a doctor or get an appointment for simple tests, or as I mentioned earlier, some treatments don't even exist here. As I said, if you want to see a good healthcare system look at France. But France cannot fund its military adequately and its budget deficit has been structural for more than a decade.

In your calculations, you did not subtract the equivalent increase on defense spending from other budgets.
France has nukes.. it does not need to spend to much on its defense!! They have the ultimate deterrent..

Most NATO countries have better healthcare systems then the US.. that is why there are constant discussions here, because people with access to the internett or who are traveling abroad can actually read about it themselves.

There are known 30-50.000 Americans dying each year because of costs.. then there are slew of shadow numbers, with most likely tens of thousands more dying because of the US For-profitt system.

Then there are 500.000+ personal bankruptcies each year.. and tens of millions of Americans who have no insurance.

And spending 8-9% more of your GDP on healthcare... with worse results... The numbers are out there!

I can walk down to my doctors office tomorrow and get an appointment within the hour, do my blood, check whatever... get a reception for almost any medicine I want ( if it will help my ailment), walk 50 yards to the pharmacy and buy it for 1/20 of the cost in the US.

Our system is GREAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies