U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 11:00 AM

30,893 posts, read 13,434,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
There will always be handouts because Americans canít handle the alternative. Americans get upset if they even see a homeless person or someone ďwho doesnít fitĒ in their hoods. Hate the pan handler, hate the begger, want the goverment to clean it up, which often means police who will always ask for goverment handout assistance as it is not criminal to be broke. And not a police matter.

You canít both hate the begger or pan handler AND hate the policies that keep people from having to beg or pan handle. Personally I donít mind pan handlers and beggars, they show initiative. But I guarantee Iím in the minority.
I agree with you. I've had this argument when people whine about the homeless occupying the sidewalks and panhandling. It doesn't bother me, but the people who are bothered by it need to understand that the only way to stop it is to give those people a place to live. The problem is that they don't like that solution either lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 11:05 AM

22,071 posts, read 9,380,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I knew a leftist would say this.

Of course it's our money. Any money they spend on online delivery is less they have available for food purchases, which we are subsidizing. Money is fungible.

(Reminds me of an interview I read in the WaPo in which the welfare recipient was complaining that she doesn't get sufficient food stamps to feed her kids well. The interviewer pointed to the big flat-screen TV and asked her how she could afford that, and she snapped, "don't tell me how to spend MY money.")
No. If it was "our" money, they would not be spending it on killing people in other countries, financing corrupt organizations like Blackwater or the Trump family's jetset lifestyle (a huge waste of money and resources).

So apparently it is not "our" money.

And our society, based on Judeo-Christian ethics, believes those with disabilities, illness, or living in poverty should have a helping hand from the wealthiest country in the world, with some of the lowest taxed citizens. What society like ours just kicks people to the curb (which we already do with the mentally ill)?

Last edited by Enigma777; 04-19-2019 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-19-2019, 11:09 AM

12,018 posts, read 6,625,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
There will always be handouts because Americans canít handle the alternative. Americans get upset if they even see a homeless person or someone ďwho doesnít fitĒ in their hoods. Hate the pan handler, hate the beget.

You canít both hate the begger or pan handler AND hate the policies that keep people from having to beg or pan handle. Personally I donít mind pan handlers and beggars, they show initiative. But I guarantee Iím in the minority.
How much initiative do you think they should display to get their dollar. Because one with a lot of initiative came thisclose to getting maced by me as he almost made physical contact demanding five dollars or a ride.

They can't get SNAP because they are fully healthy, often young men, and choosing to "beg", aka scam/intimidate people, sullying up the town and causing a lot of police calls and traffic issues. Our city is becoming police militarized because of them, city's hands are tied because of ACLU, but they are scaring away customers from local businesses.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 AM

3,187 posts, read 599,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
No. If it was "our" money, they would not be spending it on killing people in other countries, financing corrupt organizations like Blackwater or the Trump family's jetset lifestyle (a huge waste of money and resources).

So apparently it is not "our" money.

And our society, based on the Judeo-Christian ethics, believes those with disabilities, illness, or living in poverty should have a helping hand from the wealthiest country in the world, with some of the lowest taxed citizens. What society like ours just kicks people to the curb (which we already do with the mentally ill)?
Where did I ever say that those with disabilities, illness, or living in poverty should not have a helping hand? There's a big difference between that and defending someone on welfare who buys a $1000 TV and then complains that taxpayers aren't giving her enough to feed her family.

That's one of my biggest issues with liberals. As soon as a reasonable person suggests some guidelines suggesting funds should be provided to pay for healthy food, they resort to the "so you want people to starve" line. Always going to false extremes to try to make a point, which then loses any semblance of credulity.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 AM

30,893 posts, read 13,434,612 times
Quote:
If have a question for 2sleepy:

Why are you attacking me as "hating the poor" because I think food stamp usage should be restricted to healthy foods (and I gave a wide list, including meat, seafood, chicken, dairy, eggs, vegetables, fruit, etc.) and NOT to Rebold (or whatever his name is) who is saying no food should be provided to anyone, ever, anytime?

Seems like you are attacking the person with the moderate view and giving a pass to the person who wants to see all forms of welfare eliminated. He sounds like Scrooge with his "hey, less food.....fewer poor people" remark. Next thing you know, he'll put forth a Modest Proposal.

So think about that. Why such hostility to the one who still supports some government assistance, but with more restrictions, and not to the one who doesn't think govt should give a penny to those in need? Hmmmmm?
I haven't attacked you, not once. I have not exhibited any hostility toward you. You might want to go back and read my responses to your posts before you make such a claim.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:16 AM

5,778 posts, read 2,694,175 times
Quote:
I think we should go back to calling it "relief." It implies it's a temporary handout, and carries a slight amount of embarrassment for not being able to support oneself. It would help eliminate this haughty entitlement attitude liberals have.
So on top of a bad situation where a person finds themselves not being able to feed themselves you also want them to feel humiliated too?
WOW! You sound vindictive just like the President.
Are you one of his supporters?...because that would explain a lot!

5,661 posts, read 3,640,802 times
Quote:
So you're arguing that someone on food stamps is "entitled" to spend them on ring-dings?

And stop with this "worthy" nonsense. It's a nasty attack that liberals foist on conservatives - much like the "racist" nonsense attached to objections to illegals - when they dare suggest....shudder.....that poor people benefiting from taxpayer largesse are entitled to spend OPM however they choose.
But why are YOU entitled to spend money on ring-dings? You use public services that you could be paying for. Why should my tax dollars go to improving your roads while you spend $2 on ring-dings?

8,348 posts, read 1,896,105 times
Quote:
Maybe if you would stop with your liberal, leftist nonsense I would address you seriously. But I know you're just egging me on.

You've got to learn that there are DEGREES in life. It doesn't mean all-or-nothing is the way to be, as you think. Would you, for example, let a toddler found wandering homeless in the street just fend for himself? Or is it every man, woman, child, and toddler for himself in your world?
Why do you leftist liberals always want to force other people to subsidize welfare and handouts? All taxation is theft, and all welfare is theft.

As for your questions, humanity would save the toddler--no State force needed. It is every person for himself--that's human nature as well. But so is cooperation and volunteering.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:17 AM

8,131 posts, read 11,038,023 times
Many food stamp recipients are elderly or disabled.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 AM

8,348 posts, read 1,896,105 times
Quote:
Why must liberals always resort to dramatics? Nobody is starving in this country. We give out food stamps.
Why do you liberals always justify welfare?

Food stamps are funded through the theft of other peoples' income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies