U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 PM

8,347 posts, read 1,912,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I applaud people who help out others first hand and put their own time and money where their mouth is. Not those who champion govt redistribution schemes while paying as little as possible or no taxes whatsoever.
I expect it from liberals, but conservatives and MAGAs are showing their true colors now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 05:27 PM

380 posts, read 121,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It should be very helpful for the elderly and disabled who cannot easily get to the supermarket.

I applaud this.
This. I deal with medicaid and medicare recipients daily. SOme of them legit need services like this. This is a very good thing.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 20 days ago)

7,329 posts, read 4,445,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Historically, poor people live in food deserts, so buying proper groceries with no/public transportation has always been a huge problem. I am happy to see them have the ability to buy proper more nutritious food and have it delivered, versus sending the kids to the minimart on the corner day in and day out for nothing but crap. Itís a good move.
I agree it's a good move. I just wish the Walmart nearest me delivered. (I'm disabled without a car. No food stamps, for that matter.)

Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 PM

12,672 posts, read 14,003,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Gotta love once again seeing conservatives and MAGAs cheering on a government welfare program.
Go move to Somalia. It's everything you'v been begging for, and more.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:06 PM

6,528 posts, read 1,336,586 times
I am wondering if this could not be used to encourage people who have SNAP to make good nutrition choices.

(In other words, to set up a system where they would be encouraged to order more healthy food, with obviously junk type "food" such as soda and many kinds of candy unavailable to order online. I could also see them accumulating points for good choices that would be redeemed in either additional food purchase or even possibly a cash rebate.)

Old 04-18-2019, 06:07 PM

12,100 posts, read 6,680,435 times
It isn't just "services for the elderly and disabled". It is a luxury service many working people, including the working disabled, cannot afford. It would be nice if all SNAP recipients were elderly and disabled, so they would get the lion's share of assistance but that is not the case.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:16 PM

29,703 posts, read 16,414,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
This. I deal with medicaid and medicare recipients daily. SOme of them legit need services like this. This is a very good thing.
Hmm mmm Charity feels good when someone else is paying for it!

Old 04-18-2019, 06:17 PM

3,316 posts, read 640,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It isn't just "services for the elderly and disabled". It is a luxury service many working people, including the working disabled, cannot afford. It would be nice if all SNAP recipients were elderly and disabled, so they would get the lion's share of assistance but that is not the case.
Agree. This service should be limited to the following SNAP recipients:

1) Over age 65
2) Proof of disability
3) In a rural area more than 1/2 mile to transportation to a grocery store

My grandmother (who paid for her own groceries) walked half a mile to the grocery store with her little cart 2x a week until she was 90. If she did it, non-disabled people under 65 can do it too.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:18 PM

12,100 posts, read 6,680,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am wondering if this could not be used to encourage people who have SNAP to make good nutrition choices.

(In other words, to set up a system where they would be encouraged to order more healthy food, with obviously junk type "food" such as soda and many kinds of candy unavailable to order online. I could also see them accumulating points for good choices that would be redeemed in either additional food purchase or even possibly a cash rebate.)
lol. They would freak out at a special welfare menu, they would call the ACLU. This is one less physical activity, one less reason to leave their sofa, it won't make them healthier.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:20 PM

29,703 posts, read 16,414,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Agree. This service should be limited to the following SNAP recipients:

1) Over age 65
2) Proof of disability
3) In a rural area more than 1/2 mile to transportation to a grocery store

My grandmother (who paid for her own groceries) walked half a mile to the grocery store with her little cart 2x a week until she was 90. If she did it, non-disabled people under 65 can do it too.
As a GOP'er you are of course endowed with the knowledge of knowing just how much income redistribution is the correct amount
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies