U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,347 posts, read 1,912,726 times
Reputation: 1661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I applaud people who help out others first hand and put their own time and money where their mouth is. Not those who champion govt redistribution schemes while paying as little as possible or no taxes whatsoever.
I expect it from liberals, but conservatives and MAGAs are showing their true colors now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2019, 05:27 PM
 
380 posts, read 121,414 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It should be very helpful for the elderly and disabled who cannot easily get to the supermarket.

I applaud this.
This. I deal with medicaid and medicare recipients daily. SOme of them legit need services like this. This is a very good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,329 posts, read 4,445,027 times
Reputation: 8838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Historically, poor people live in food deserts, so buying proper groceries with no/public transportation has always been a huge problem. I am happy to see them have the ability to buy proper more nutritious food and have it delivered, versus sending the kids to the minimart on the corner day in and day out for nothing but crap. Itís a good move.
I agree it's a good move. I just wish the Walmart nearest me delivered. (I'm disabled without a car. No food stamps, for that matter.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
12,672 posts, read 14,003,072 times
Reputation: 13498
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Gotta love once again seeing conservatives and MAGAs cheering on a government welfare program.
Go move to Somalia. It's everything you'v been begging for, and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:06 PM
 
6,528 posts, read 1,336,586 times
Reputation: 16542
I am wondering if this could not be used to encourage people who have SNAP to make good nutrition choices.

(In other words, to set up a system where they would be encouraged to order more healthy food, with obviously junk type "food" such as soda and many kinds of candy unavailable to order online. I could also see them accumulating points for good choices that would be redeemed in either additional food purchase or even possibly a cash rebate.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:07 PM
 
12,100 posts, read 6,680,435 times
Reputation: 12950
It isn't just "services for the elderly and disabled". It is a luxury service many working people, including the working disabled, cannot afford. It would be nice if all SNAP recipients were elderly and disabled, so they would get the lion's share of assistance but that is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:16 PM
 
29,703 posts, read 16,414,979 times
Reputation: 13795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
This. I deal with medicaid and medicare recipients daily. SOme of them legit need services like this. This is a very good thing.
Hmm mmm Charity feels good when someone else is paying for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:17 PM
 
3,316 posts, read 640,659 times
Reputation: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It isn't just "services for the elderly and disabled". It is a luxury service many working people, including the working disabled, cannot afford. It would be nice if all SNAP recipients were elderly and disabled, so they would get the lion's share of assistance but that is not the case.
Agree. This service should be limited to the following SNAP recipients:

1) Over age 65
2) Proof of disability
3) In a rural area more than 1/2 mile to transportation to a grocery store

My grandmother (who paid for her own groceries) walked half a mile to the grocery store with her little cart 2x a week until she was 90. If she did it, non-disabled people under 65 can do it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:18 PM
 
12,100 posts, read 6,680,435 times
Reputation: 12950
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am wondering if this could not be used to encourage people who have SNAP to make good nutrition choices.

(In other words, to set up a system where they would be encouraged to order more healthy food, with obviously junk type "food" such as soda and many kinds of candy unavailable to order online. I could also see them accumulating points for good choices that would be redeemed in either additional food purchase or even possibly a cash rebate.)
lol. They would freak out at a special welfare menu, they would call the ACLU. This is one less physical activity, one less reason to leave their sofa, it won't make them healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 06:20 PM
 
29,703 posts, read 16,414,979 times
Reputation: 13795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Agree. This service should be limited to the following SNAP recipients:

1) Over age 65
2) Proof of disability
3) In a rural area more than 1/2 mile to transportation to a grocery store

My grandmother (who paid for her own groceries) walked half a mile to the grocery store with her little cart 2x a week until she was 90. If she did it, non-disabled people under 65 can do it too.
As a GOP'er you are of course endowed with the knowledge of knowing just how much income redistribution is the correct amount
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top