U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-19-2019, 06:22 PM
 
6,598 posts, read 1,361,653 times
Reputation: 16675

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So you want to force people to walk two miles to the grocery store and back and force them to buy only a bag or two at a time, so they have to go back several times a week? Nice.
What I said was (post #64):

"If an elderly and/or disabled person can walk but doesn't drive, and the grocery store is less than a mile or two away, it forces him or her to at least get some exercise. If the necessity of physically shopping for groceries is taken away, I think it would just encourage the person to be even more shut in and possibly 'lazy' then s/he might already be."

And to the above post, I then followed up with (post #94): "Actually, yes, I do think that IF she is capable of doing that with little trouble. I should have said that I am NOT talking about some elderly person who needs a walker or who has a lot of trouble walking due to arthritis or whatever. What I was thinking of when I wrote that was my mother (age 86) who is in very good health and has no trouble walking -- in fact, she participated in 5k runs until she was about 70. (I do admit that my mother is unusual.) I was also thinking of myself and my husband who are in our 60's and often walk four miles or more. Also, I don't think that carrying one or two bags of groceries is difficult for most people, although, of course, you may disagree with that."

Note that I said, "that I don't think that carrying one or two bags of groceries is difficult for most people" and then added that you "may disagree with that", which you have, and that is fine with me.

However, IF people are capable of walking up to two miles to a store and back with little difficulty, then no, I don't think that four trips a week to and from the grocery store is terrible unless as another poster pointed out, we are talking about a person who has difficulty walking, or bad weather, uneven or steep terrain, etc. What I had in mind was just a "no big deal" suburban or urban walk in good weather with the person carrying a bag of groceries weighing five or so pounds in each hand.
I am certainly not talking about some elderly and/or disabled person carrying a case of canned goods or anything like that!

Why do you seem to have such a problem with old people (or anyone, for that matter) getting some exercise if it is not a big problem for them to do so?

It also seems to me that you want to deliberately assign the worst possible motives to anyone who posts something that you don't like, so I am now finished with responding to you (permanently, I think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2019, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,386 posts, read 59,858,320 times
Reputation: 54029
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Why do you seem to have such a problem with old people (or anyone, for that matter) getting some exercise if it is not a big problem for them to do so?
I don't, if that's their choice.

I also don't have an issue with anyone - old or otherwise, SNAP recipient or otherwise - who chooses to have their groceries delivered.

Why do you want to force people to walk to the grocery store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,661 posts, read 3,674,311 times
Reputation: 10620
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What I said was (post #64):

"If an elderly and/or disabled person can walk but doesn't drive, and the grocery store is less than a mile or two away, it forces him or her to at least get some exercise. If the necessity of physically shopping for groceries is taken away, I think it would just encourage the person to be even more shut in and possibly 'lazy' then s/he might already be."

And to the above post, I then followed up with (post #94): "Actually, yes, I do think that IF she is capable of doing that with little trouble. I should have said that I am NOT talking about some elderly person who needs a walker or who has a lot of trouble walking due to arthritis or whatever. What I was thinking of when I wrote that was my mother (age 86) who is in very good health and has no trouble walking -- in fact, she participated in 5k runs until she was about 70. (I do admit that my mother is unusual.) I was also thinking of myself and my husband who are in our 60's and often walk four miles or more. Also, I don't think that carrying one or two bags of groceries is difficult for most people, although, of course, you may disagree with that."

Note that I said, "that I don't think that carrying one or two bags of groceries is difficult for most people" and then added that you "may disagree with that", which you have, and that is fine with me.

However, IF people are capable of walking up to two miles to a store and back with little difficulty, then no, I don't think that four trips a week to and from the grocery store is terrible unless as another poster pointed out, we are talking about a person who has difficulty walking, or bad weather, uneven or steep terrain, etc. What I had in mind was just a "no big deal" suburban or urban walk in good weather with the person carrying a bag of groceries weighing five or so pounds in each hand.
I am certainly not talking about some elderly and/or disabled person carrying a case of canned goods or anything like that!

Why do you seem to have such a problem with old people (or anyone, for that matter) getting some exercise if it is not a big problem for them to do so?

It also seems to me that you want to deliberately assign the worst possible motives to anyone who posts something that you don't like, so I am now finished with responding to you (permanently, I think).
How is someone going to do their weekly shopping and carry five pounds in each hand? Haven't you ever been grocery shopping? A half-gallon of milk is about 4 lbs. So maybe they could carry a gallon of milk in one hand and a bag containing a loaf of bread, three apples, and two canned goods in the other hand. Does that seem like a reasonable grocery shopping expedition to you? What if the person doesn't live alone or wants to purchase something weighing more than a pound?

And what about the majority of people on SNAP who work and have children to care for? Do you think everyone has time to do this four times per week? Also, did you know that the more often you go grocery shopping, the more you spend? If you can purchase family packs and things like that, you can generally get a better deal.

So basically, your great idea would exclude:

-anyone with health problems
-anyone who lives in an area with hills or rocky terrain
-anyone who lives in a rainy or snowy climate
-anyone who might not have time to walk two miles to the store and back four days per week
-anyone who might need to purchase more than 10 lbs of food at once

Why do you care if someone walks to a store or drives to a store or gets their groceries delivered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,083 posts, read 13,607,016 times
Reputation: 22142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
How is someone going to do their weekly shopping and carry five pounds in each hand? Haven't you ever been grocery shopping? A half-gallon of milk is about 4 lbs. So maybe they could carry a gallon of milk in one hand and a bag containing a loaf of bread, three apples, and two canned goods in the other hand. Does that seem like a reasonable grocery shopping expedition to you? What if the person doesn't live alone or wants to purchase something weighing more than a pound?

And what about the majority of people on SNAP who work and have children to care for? Do you think everyone has time to do this four times per week? Also, did you know that the more often you go grocery shopping, the more you spend? If you can purchase family packs and things like that, you can generally get a better deal.

So basically, your great idea would exclude:

-anyone with health problems
-anyone who lives in an area with hills or rocky terrain
-anyone who lives in a rainy or snowy climate
-anyone who might not have time to walk two miles to the store and back four days per week
-anyone who might need to purchase more than 10 lbs of food at once

Why do you care if someone walks to a store or drives to a store or gets their groceries delivered?
Especially since it's the SNAP recipient paying for the delivery. I wonder if we should also limit how many times a month a person receiving SNAP can ride on UBER/LYFT take a taxi cab or a municipal bus too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 07:28 PM
 
Location: FL
15,803 posts, read 8,822,082 times
Reputation: 3836
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Did any of you even read the article? Food stamps can't be used for the delivery fees. They can pay for them out of their own pocket, meet the criteria for free delivery, or, in the case of Amazon, get Prime for free (which either reduces shipping or allows for free shipping).

Anyone can use delivery who orders online; the issue was that before, people paying with an EBT card could not order online. Now they can.

Whoop de doo. Nothing has changed. You can all now go back to living your lives exactly the same way as you did before Mary down the street started ordering her groceries online. What a relief!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 07:42 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,521 posts, read 17,745,743 times
Reputation: 30822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
How are they going to take my food? Break into my house and steal what they want? There are laws against that.
Yeah, but who is going to enforce the laws? I'll be damned if I am subsidizing the government to police the community and "jail" the criminals (three hots and a cot? Sounds more like paradise to me!). Why should I pay for socialized public safety and "justice" that any reasonable American should be able to provide for himself with a gun, a tree branch, and a stout piece of rope?

/s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,781 posts, read 9,386,212 times
Reputation: 5263
This is a good idea. Itís hell to lug groceries on a bus and probably more expensive to use Uber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Status: "I'm an Unmherkun puppy-kicking Socialist" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,055 posts, read 2,123,130 times
Reputation: 3782
OK, If ancaps and those with similar ways of thinking are against welfare --- then pay people a living wage so you won't have to have "them" "steal" your "hard earned wealth"!! Because right now, as it is, its the taxpayers indirectly subsidizing the big companies and the wealthy - namely their labor and other personnel expenses. Economic freedom for the property owners but not for the non-property owners.

As for mediation, I guess enforcement of that mediation is only for the people who can afford to pay for their own cops-for-hire to go in and enforce it. If a poor owner can't afford the security to enforce the contract, then I suppose he's Sore Out Of Luck. What kind of economic freedom is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,083 posts, read 13,607,016 times
Reputation: 22142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
This is a good idea. Itís hell to lug groceries on a bus and probably more expensive to use Uber.
I completely agree, I am having a hard time figuring out how people can twist this into something bad. The only change is that in addition to debit and credit cards participating grocers will be able to take EBT cards for online grocery orders, that is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 08:53 PM
 
4,405 posts, read 5,591,765 times
Reputation: 5194
As I understand it, people who have the delivery service with food stamps will have to pay the delivery fee themselves. This will be too much of an expense for some people. Wall Mart, Amazon, etc. could find this to be a lucrative program, unless they fail to control the delivery costs, and those on food stamps find it just too expensive.

It is expensive and time consuming to go out and get groceries if you don't have a car, and if you have to take children with you. So it could be good for some. Sure, there will be some people who could go out, but are "lazy", but they will have to pay the delivery charge, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top