U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 09:13 PM

5,878 posts, read 5,733,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
How is someone going to do their weekly shopping and carry five pounds in each hand? Haven't you ever been grocery shopping? A half-gallon of milk is about 4 lbs. ?
i think people are silly for regularly carrying home gobs of heavy shopping bags when they could have taken a shopping cart that will hold all that heavy stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 09:16 PM

15,810 posts, read 8,828,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Social security is not the same as SNAP benefits. Tax-paying adults paid into the SS program for decades so they would have an income in old age, and recipients of SNAP just "receive." it is reasonable to put restrictions on the latter, and in fact, we already do. They can't buy booze with it. I just think it should be restricted further, especially since we also are paying for their health care which in turn becomes more expensive when one is overweight and eating a poor diet. Diabetes is rampant.
Many people that get SNAP don't get Medicaid.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:48 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,189,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

Ever hear of handicapped people who may not be able to get out ? Not so "nice". Or disadvantaged people who may not have transportation ?

Although you are trying to paint this as some wonderful perk by less fortunate people, it is simply something WalMart is doing to capture another segment of the market. Smart on their part.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:51 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,834,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
i think people are silly for regularly carrying home gobs of heavy shopping bags when they could have taken a shopping cart that will hold all that heavy stuff.
You still have to carry all that heavy stuff from your car to the inside of your house, if you live in a condo, itís a pain in the ass. So the prevalence of grocery delivery to your front door as been a godsend

Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Agree. This service should be limited to the following SNAP recipients:

1) Over age 65
2) Proof of disability
3) In a rural area more than 1/2 mile to transportation to a grocery store

My grandmother (who paid for her own groceries) walked half a mile to the grocery store with her little cart 2x a week until she was 90. If she did it, non-disabled people under 65 can do it too.
Uphill both ways? I mean, give me a break!

Old 04-19-2019, 09:59 PM

3,393 posts, read 657,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Did you read the article? It was on a satire site! https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pu...sing-grousing/

Most SNAP recipients also pay taxes because they work in addition to receiving aid. So I guess you're even.
You don't even know what you are talking about. I am talking about an article that appeared in the WaPo years ago, where the welfare mother bought a $1000 tv and then complained she didn't have enough food stamps to feed her kids.

The link you provided was about something else entirely.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 PM

32,391 posts, read 59,880,407 times
Quote:
You don't even know what you are talking about. I am talking about an article that appeared in the WaPo years ago, where the welfare mother bought a $1000 tv and then complained she didn't have enough food stamps to feed her kids.
Give it up. Your "example" is an outlier - if it's actually true at all - and has nothing to do with the topic of home grocery delivery.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So you want to force people to walk two miles to the grocery store and back and force them to buy only a bag or two at a time, so they have to go back several times a week? Nice.

Interesting. Thanks for those study results. I guess people using SNAP aren't gorging themselves on Ring-Dings as much as some think they are.

As for making decisions for others, it seems some on this thread want to make decisions for everyone ... but themselves.

There are people who will try to get around any rule, regulation or law; that's just human nature. But it's certainly a minority.

How do you feel about able-bodied people who are working full-time who qualify for SNAP benefits? Because 60 percent of the people who qualify for SNAP, who aren't elderly or disabled, are working.

You do like to blather on and exaggerate, don't you?

e
I've been ignoring most of your silly posts, but is it my responsibility to subsidize the pavement that you drive or ride on?

You're sure trying awfully hard to make us believe you do.

You're not paying attention. The majority of people who qualify for SNAP are working; therefore, they pay income taxes and contribute to the system.

Which "there" is pointing out the fact that an awful lot of military families are eligible for SNAP "going"?

I suppose that upsets the little fantasy that everyone who receives SNAP benefits is sitting on the sofa eating HoHos, surfing on their smartphones, watching Showtime, and driving to the grocery store in a new Cadillac SUV.

Why do you automatically ASSume that "religious" means "Christian"? That's your inference, not the implication of the person you are quoting. Learn the difference.

Didn't read the link or the entire thread, didja?

LMAO, you didn't read your own link. The delivery fee is on the person placing the order and cannot be paid by SNAP.

Medicaid is a whole 'nother story. You're comparing apples and oranges, and failing miserably to make whatever point it is you're trying to make.

From your posts? You could have fooled me.

You don't get out much, do you?

InformedConsent trots out this ancient data every time, and then misinterprets it. Her posts are better left ignored because she will never understand why she's wrong.

You got that right. They claim to have morals, and then wish ill upon people who are less fortunate. Nice.
Jeez, you libs. Nobody here is wishing ill on people less fortunate. It just with some of you, if we don't agree with your positions 100%, you start ascribing nasty traits to us.

Sorry, but pointing out that it is wrong for a woman who is on food stamps to buy a $1000 TV and then complains that she needs more food stamps to feed her children is not wishing ill on her. Neither is supporting food assistance programs for the needy but believing there should be restrictions to healthy food.

I never realized how intolerant and arrogant so many liberals are until I started on online forums. (Cue up....we're intolerant of intolerance.)

Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Give it up. Your "example" is an outlier - if it's actually true at all - and has nothing to do with the topic of home grocery delivery.
I said it was true. And that's another liberal tact: calling people liars when you don't like the reality.

And it does have something to do with home grocery delivery.....that people who can't afford to buy their own food shouldn't be throwing money away on food delivery services unless they are elderly, disabled, or,more than 1/2 mile from a grocery store. The same way a welfare mother shouldn't throw a $1000 on a TV when she doesn't have enough food stamps to feed her kids.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Uphill both ways? I mean, give me a break!
Where did I say it was uphill? It was flat terrain.

But she did do that walk twice a week her entire life. Maybe that's why she lived to be 95 - self-sufficient, plenty of exercise,healthy diet, no smoking, and good genes. Other than the last, all were choices within her control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies