U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:07 AM

66,524 posts, read 30,333,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Great idea. Then let's do away with taxes altogether. What will YOU drive on? Taxes pay for roads, bridges, and government employees too. It's not all about welfare. Taxes of all types is government assistance. No one would wold voluntarily pay them. Who will protect us in times of war and peace? It's not just your money. How selfish and shortsighted can you be? The extent of self centered thinking that some individuals, particularly conservatives have, never ceases to amaze me. I have no kids and am not always thrilled about paying thousands of dollars in property taxes per year to educate your and many other strangers' kids, but we are a community and a country, it's not just about me, myself, and I, and that's what I need to do for the benefit of all of us.
Those who pay no federal income tax whatsoever, and that's 45% of all US 1040 filers, already get to drive on roads, bridges, and use government employee-provided services. So, clearly, if they get all that for free, so should everyone else. Constitution's Equal Protection Clause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 08:12 AM

63,057 posts, read 34,342,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Food Stamps pay for the groceries. The delivery fee is paid by the recipient. It can't be paid for with Food Stamps.
Isn't this what the whole outrage is about:

From the OP

Quote:
Walmart, Amazon and grocery chains like ShopRite hope to tap into a lucrative new market: Food stamp recipients who want to shop for groceries online.
For the first time, the US Department of Agriculture has given the green light for recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, to use their benefits to buy groceries online and get them delivered to their homes, the agency said Thursday.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,672,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Isn't this what the whole outrage is about:

From the OP
Yes, that's what the faux outrage is about but it's not actually based on reality.

The difference now is that instead of only being able to use their EBT cards at the physical grocery stores, they can use them on the websites and pay for delivery. The delivery, if there is a fee, is paid for with their own funds. Note that not every grocery store even charges a fee; according to the posters here, it's the principle of the thing. If someone's 90 year old grandmother used to walk two blocks to get her groceries, then everyone should walk to the grocery store. Also, one time many years ago, there was an article that no longer exists about a woman who had a $1,000 TV and also got food stamps. It's very similar to an article that was on a satire site, but that wasn't the article in question.

People are upset that they have the option of getting their groceries delivered like everyone else (even though they're paying for it themselves) because 1. Poor people are lazy and need to walk to the store and 2. Nobody getting food stamps should be allowed to spend $5 of their own money on a non-approved (by the poster in question) expenditure like food delivery.

Basically, it's just a matter of people with too much time on their hands always wanting to be outraged about something even though it affects them absolutely zero.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:18 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,490,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Great idea. Then let's do away with taxes altogether. What will YOU drive on? Taxes pay for roads, bridges, and government employees too. It's not all about welfare. Taxes of all types is government assistance. No one would wold voluntarily pay them. Who will protect us in times of war and peace? It's not just your money. How selfish and shortsighted can you be? The extent of self centered thinking that some individuals, particularly conservatives have, never ceases to amaze me. I have no kids and am not always thrilled about paying thousands of dollars in property taxes per year to educate your and many other strangers' kids, but we are a community and a country, it's not just about me, myself, and I, and that's what I need to do for the benefit of all of us. Kids need to eat. I don't care how irresponsible the parent is. I'm not taking away a kid's food because I disagree with the parent's lifestyle. Are you seriously saying you would?

Quote:
Those who pay no federal income tax whatsoever, and that's 45% of all US 1040 filers, already get to drive on roads, bridges, and use government employee-provided services. So, clearly, if they get all that for free, so should everyone else. Constitution's Equal Protection Clause.

Except they don't. We have many taxes besides federal taxes that we pay. People pay tons of taxes, not just federal income tax. Most state charge a state income tax and/or sales tax. Then there are gas taxes, personal property taxes, car registration taxes, tolls on toll roads, which are taxes in disguise, etc. . . Everyone pays taxes for living here. So no, no one gets a free ride. Even those on welfare pay partially back to the system via the taxes they pay on those monies.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:19 AM

3,368 posts, read 653,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Everyone's money is fungible and you also benefit from various social programs. Where do you submit your invoices for approval?
Of course I benefit from taxpayer programs - like police, roads, etc. - but then, I contribute toward them.

I don't have to submit invoices for approval because....I SUPPORT MYSELF. If you willingly take taxpayer money for food, cash, medical care, utilities, housing, etc., then you aren't entitled to whatever you want to spend money on.

The problem is, like so many liberals, you don't distinguish between people who are supported by others, and the people who are supporting them - and how that difference determines whether you should get free choice in buying whatever you want.

Another example: When my cousin and I were 12 and 13, my aunt (who worked during the day), gave us money to take the bus to a movie she had approved. But....we took that money and instead walked a few blocks to the TSS, and bought EYE MAKE-UP! When she found out about it, we were both punished. She rightly explained that she had given us the money to see the movie, and not buy make-up. Her money.....her choice.

Same thing. If we are giving money to poor people, we have every right to complain if they take a taxi when a bus is available, or spend $1000 on a TV and then complain we're not giving her enough money to feed her kids.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:19 AM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let's try this again. They have to pay for the grocery delivery under this program. Many of were already paying LYFT/UBER, taxis, and public buses to get back and forth to grocery stores - where was your outrage over that?
She wants them to walk, uphill both ways!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:21 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,672,995 times
Quote:
They pay sales tax, though, which goes toward these things. I don't know that federal taxes go toward paving city streets; I'd think that's more local taxes like sales tax.

But clearly Trump should be abolishing all taxes. You should get on that straightaway! Write your local Congressperson (who is paid for with your taxes) and let them know.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:26 AM

31,079 posts, read 13,598,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
F
Disgraceful.

And the people buying the baby formula with OUR money and then profiting off it will complain that we aren't giving them enough in the way of food stamps.

Maybe we should just go back to the old days of just handing out food to the needy. They could come by once a week and pick up their food boxes (one for perishables: meat, chicken, milk, etc.) and non-perishables (canned veggies, spaghetti, pasta sauce, bread, etc.). For the elderly and disabled, we would deliver.
When did that happen Rachel? When did people pick up their food in boxes once a week? Want to know the answer Rachel? NEVER, that was never a program organized by the US government. During the depression the feds would occasionally distribute surplus foods but it was random and not part of an organized effort. The first food stamp program started in 1939 and was discontinued in 1943. It was started back up in 1961 and has been in effect ever since .

Old 04-20-2019, 08:30 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,181,563 times
Let's call this thread what it really is, a slam at anyone who gets assistance with their food costs. Big deal that some company has elected to promote an addition to their marketing by delivering groceries, the OP just wants to take a shot at folks who get food stamps.

I think all of us, who are lucky enough to not need public assistance, should get down on our knees and thank God for our good fortune. There but for the Grace of God go I.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:30 AM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
When did that happen Rachel? When did people pick up their food in boxes once a week? Want to know the answer Rachel? NEVER, that was never a program organized by the US government. During the depression the feds would occasionally distribute surplus foods but it was random and not part of an organized effort. The first food stamp program started in 1939 and was discontinued in 1943. It was started back up in 1961 and has been in effect ever since .
I remember my grandparents getting "surplus food" back in the 1950s. Now mind you, my memories of this are very dim, but I remember the sacks of flour. However, the current SNAP program is probably more efficient and less costly. Someone would have to be paid to put up those boxes and distribute them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies