U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 07:45 PM

22,894 posts, read 16,272,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Being able to order your groceries online is actually a great way to save money. I have been doing this (I go and pick them up rather than having them delivered, though). I can go over my list in the calm convenience of my own home, know immediately what the price is for each item, and if I see that it's adding up to something over my budget, I can remove items. While it is possible to do this in the grocery store with a calculator, most people don't have time for that, particularly if they are shopping after work (like the majority of SNAP recipients are likely having to do) or with children.

I'm all for anyone being able to order online. And obviously anyone ordering online who lives in the designated radius from the grocery store is eligible to have their groceries delivered (usually for a fee). It's a great move.
Excellent points.

I can definitely see how this could help people to be more mindful shoppers.

Win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 07:51 PM

33,290 posts, read 20,103,715 times
I just did a quick google search, it looks like The average SNAP recipient received about $126 a month (or about $4.20 a day, $1.40 per meal) in fiscal year 2017.

So I don't care they use that fixed amount to purchase grocery online, grocery delivery. I don't really care if they buy lobster. They have to budget their money and figure out what they could buy anyway. So it is a non issue for me.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 PM

537 posts, read 90,625 times
I'm wondering what's so bad about walking to the nearest grocery if you can do so. That's what I do since I do not own a car and walk everywhere. Yes, I might also take delivery whenever I truly cannot go walking, but make it a point to get out there and walk. Not that it matters, but most people in the immediate area of doing well enough and would probably rather that I stay out of sight anyhow, or perhaps move off the planet somewhere.

Food delivery essentially keeps the haves from dealing with the have-nots. Just think, shoplifting will go down. No more fights in the aisles. No more complaining about fat people at Walmart because you won't have to see them...

Old 04-18-2019, 08:05 PM

537 posts, read 90,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I just did a quick google search, it looks like The average SNAP recipient received about $126 a month (or about $4.20 a day, $1.40 per meal) in fiscal year 2017.

So I don't care they use that fixed amount to purchase grocery online, grocery delivery. I don't really care if they buy lobster. They have to budget their money and figure out what they could buy anyway. So it is a non issue for me.

That's an average. Many people receive less than $50 a month. I know of someone who was disabled (a single person) and received $5 a month, turned it down for feeling that it wasn't worth the trouble.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:33 PM

31,060 posts, read 13,591,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Oh, I missed that. I thought gov't was covering the fee. Never mind.

I would not be surprised if the companies give them some special deal.
No worries. I guess the stores might give them a cut on the price of delivery but that's their call.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:41 PM

32,377 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Quote:
It will be, for elderly and disabled people who can't get to the grocery store easily.

It will be, for people living in low-income food deserts.

It will be, for single parents who are balancing work and family - they can spend more time with their kids instead of grocery shopping.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 PM

8,347 posts, read 1,917,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, online venting like this really is not helpful. You know the SNAP program is here to stay, for a long long time.
I'm sure it is and always will be, thanks to cowardly Republicans bending over for the Democrats.

It's just telling how so-called "conservatives" have embraced welfare to own the libs.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:27 PM

26,676 posts, read 17,323,793 times
Quote:
Many recipients are the elderly or disabled. These would likely be the folks who would utilize the service. Why would this bother you?

Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 AM

3,367 posts, read 652,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Many recipients are the elderly or disabled. These would likely be the folks who would utilize the service. Why would this bother you?
What about able-bodied adults who are just being lazy? Why should they spend our money this way when I myself wouldn't?

Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 AM

12,117 posts, read 6,692,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The stores in my area don’t charge anything for delivery if you spend a certain amount. The cost is minimal if you spend less.

How is it a “luxury service?”
It is kind of expensive where I am. It hasn't become a thing yet.

I suppose online shopping is another way to track us, also allows our lazy butts to stay in our chairs and do one less thing out of the house to interact with humans. I still actually run into people I know at the store and chat which is kind of nice.

Still I admit I hate grocery shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies