Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:41 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What about able-bodied adults who are just being lazy? Why should they spend our money this way when I myself wouldn't?
It's not your money. It's their money. SNAP benefits can't be used for grocery delivery. Also, there are very few able-bodied adults getting food stamps who are also not working. Educate yourself.

The government spends billions and billions of dollars on crap I would not choose to spend my money on. The pennies of my taxes that go toward this are not even a drop in the bucket. Surely there are better things you could choose to be indignant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 07:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am wondering if this could not be used to encourage people who have SNAP to make good nutrition choices.

(In other words, to set up a system where they would be encouraged to order more healthy food, with obviously junk type "food" such as soda and many kinds of candy unavailable to order online. I could also see them accumulating points for good choices that would be redeemed in either additional food purchase or even possibly a cash rebate.)
Big Corn and Big Grocer lobby to make sure junk remains eligible for purchase with SNAP benefits.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:45 AM

5,980 posts, read 2,234,421 times
The entire industry s going online therefore it makes since to allow all buyers to shop online.

Amazon plans to remove all actual "Humans" from their stores. They want to deliver everything via driverless vehicles and drones. And Walmart have to follow suit to stay competitive.

This is where the WORLD is going guys, its not about being lazy, its about companies savings billions in Payroll.And expect more SNAP recipients as lower skill jobs start disappearing.

Also delivery fees will disappear as delivery becomes the preferred way to shop (or rolled into the grocery prices). I know I cant stand to grocery shop so I am all in on delivery for me and my family. Wife can go if she wants, leave me out.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:49 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It's not your money. It's their money. SNAP benefits can't be used for grocery delivery. Also, there are very few able-bodied adults getting food stamps who are also not working. Educate yourself.

The government spends billions and billions of dollars on crap I would not choose to spend my money on. The pennies of my taxes that go toward this are not even a drop in the bucket. Surely there are better things you could choose to be indignant over.
I knew a leftist would say this.

Of course it's our money. Any money they spend on online delivery is less they have available for food purchases, which we are subsidizing. Money is fungible.

(Reminds me of an interview I read in the WaPo in which the welfare recipient was complaining that she doesn't get sufficient food stamps to feed her kids well. The interviewer pointed to the big flat-screen TV and asked her how she could afford that, and she snapped, "don't tell me how to spend MY money.")

Old 04-19-2019, 07:53 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:

Of course it's our money. Any money they spend on online delivery is less they have available for food purchases, which we are subsidizing. Money is fungible.

(Reminds me of an interview I read in the WaPo in which the welfare recipient was complaining that she doesn't get sufficient food stamps to feed her kids well. The interviewer pointed to the big flat-screen TV and asked her how she could afford that, and she snapped, "don't tell me how to spend MY money.")
So if a person has a flat screen TV, which are relatively inexpensive these days, they should not get help feeding their kids if needed? Maybe she should have used birth control or aborted.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-21-2019 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 04-19-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Big Corn and Big Grocer lobby to make sure junk remains eligible for purchase with SNAP benefits.
Why should any store be allowed to collect SNAP benefits for junk food? We are helping feed their families, and food purchases should be limited to seafood less than $10/lb, hamburger, chicken, frozen bags of veggies, fruit, milk, juice, cereal, eggs, cheese, and bread.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:54 AM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:

Let's try this again. SNAP recipients receive a card that looks like a credit card. It is loaded with a certain amount of credit that can only be spent on food. The average benefit received is $126 a month. It is not "fungible" and cannot be used to pay for food delivery. If they don't have the resources to pay for food delivery they can't utilize this benefit. Get it now?

Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Why should any store be allowed to collect SNAP benefits for junk food? We are helping feed their families, and food purchases should be limited to seafood less than $10/lb, hamburger, chicken, frozen bags of veggies, fruit, milk, juice, cereal, eggs, cheese, and bread.
The poster just explained why.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:56 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I expect it from liberals, but conservatives and MAGAs are showing their true colors now.
Yep. Food stamp recipients now have a way to get these nutritious foods rather than junk food that they lecture them endlessly about and they still aren't satisfied. I suppose they won't be happy unless they starve to death.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
So if a person has a TV which are relatively inexpensive these days, they should not get help feeding their kids if needed? Maybe she should have used birth control or aborted.

SAVE THE FETUS/SCREW THE CHILD
She had a 54" name-brand flatscreen. I certainly didn't splurge on something like that! And NO....she should not be complaining that taxpayers need to give her more money for food while she splurges on a large-screen TV.

Stop excusing the irresponsible decisions of people just because they are poor. She should not have bought that expensive TV, and since she did, she should have kept her mouth shut about not being able to afford food for her kids.

LIberals, sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies