Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 10:31 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,117,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So you're arguing that someone on food stamps is "entitled" to spend them on ring-dings?

And stop with this "worthy" nonsense. It's a nasty attack that liberals foist on conservatives - much like the "racist" nonsense attached to objections to illegals - when they dare suggest....shudder.....that poor people benefiting from taxpayer largesse are entitled to spend OPM however they choose.
Why do you leftist liberals continue to endorse food stamps and other forms of welfare? It's not my responsibility to subsidize the food intake of other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
So you're arguing that someone on food stamps is "entitled" to spend them on ring-dings?

And stop with this "worthy" nonsense. It's a nasty attack that liberals foist on conservatives - much like the "racist" nonsense attached to objections to illegals - when they dare suggest....shudder.....that poor people benefiting from taxpayer largesse are entitled to spend OPM however they choose.
I made that argument quite succinctly here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/54980880-post98.html If you are interested in my opinion on that try reading that post.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Part of natural law is survival of the fittest. If you cut off all safety net programs, and I'm sure you consider de SS and medicare to be 'welfare', I hope you aren't surprised when the poor don't ask nicely for food but simply take yours.
Part of it is, yes.

But if the State is eliminated there will be far less poor people to begin with. The State is what keeps people in a perpetual cycle of hunger and poverty.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:35 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:

Trump had an idea of deliveries but they would be packages containing nutritious food. Michelle Obama chose foods for kids to eat at school, so why not.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:37 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Social security is not the same as SNAP benefits. Tax-paying adults paid into the SS program for decades so they would have an income in old age, and recipients of SNAP just "receive." it is reasonable to put restrictions on the latter, and in fact, we already do. They can't buy booze with it. I just think it should be restricted further, especially since we also are paying for their health care which in turn becomes more expensive when one is overweight and eating a poor diet. Diabetes is rampant.
Wrong. It's blatantly obvious that you hate poor people, but let's not spread false information. Welfare recipients pay sales taxes. And many if not most work (remember Walmart employees) and pay income taxes as well.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,500,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Part of natural law is survival of the fittest. If you cut off all safety net programs, and I'm sure you consider de SS and medicare to be 'welfare', I hope you aren't surprised when the poor don't ask nicely for food but simply take yours.
How are they going to take my food? Break into my house and steal what they want? There are laws against that.

I've heard that type of argument from liberals before: that if you don't give people stuff, they will just take what they want. How then did both my parents grow up in poverty, never take "relief," and yet still manage to eat without turning to crime?

Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Trump had an idea of deliveries but they would be packages containing nutritious food. Michelle Obama chose foods for kids to eat at school, so why not.
Trump's food boxes, what a wonderful idea

Quote:
The package was described in the budget as consisting of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables." The boxes would not include fresh fruits or vegetables.
Too bad if the recipient is diabetic gluten intolerant or has a peanut allergy, this will work because poor people will realize that they don't deserve to be treated like "real people"

Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
How are they going to take my food? Break into my house and steal what they want? There are laws against that.

I've heard that type of argument from liberals before: that if you don't give people stuff, they will just take what they want. How then did both my parents grow up in poverty, never take "relief," and yet still manage to eat without turning to crime?
Do you advocate the complete elimination of ALL welfare handouts?

Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,500,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Wrong. It's blatantly obvious that you hate poor people, but let's not spread false information. Welfare recipients pay sales taxes. And many if not most work (remember Walmart employees) and pay income taxes as well.
I don't hate poor people. (Another liberal attack. So typical.) As I just pointed out in my previous post, both my parents grew up in poverty.

And stop,p with the sales tax argument. That's a pittance to what they take out of the system. I would just once like to hear a person to whom taxpayers are providing a lot say thank you or give some indication of appreciation. Not this righteous indignation that they are entitled to it.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Social security is not the same as SNAP benefits. Tax-paying adults paid into the SS program for decades so they would have an income in old age, and recipients of SNAP just "receive." it is reasonable to put restrictions on the latter, and in fact, we already do. They can't buy booze with it. I just think it should be restricted further, especially since we also are paying for their health care which in turn becomes more expensive when one is overweight and eating a poor diet. Diabetes is rampant.
Theoretically, yes. The reality, however, is that liquor stores in areas with a high percentage of Food Stamp recipients also sell "snacks." You know... chips, beef jerky, etc. They ring up the booze as "food," and are paid with Food Stamps money on someone's EBT card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies