Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
More leftist nonsense.

There should be no government assistance. All assistance should be voluntarily funded, either through charities or donations.

You liberals always want to steal from people and give it to others without their consent.
That's bull. We give it to wars, we give it to the Trump family. Stop giving it to the military and the president's family, and give people food assistance.

If you don't want to pay any taxes--you could always move to Bermuda, Bahamas, Monaco or the UAE. But you will have to ditch the American citizenship, as you have to pay taxes to the US no matter where you live or make the money. If people want a cause how about that double taxation issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Many food stamp recipients are elderly or disabled.
There are also food stamp (i.e. SNAP) recipients that are families and members of the United States military. A lot of the lower ranking members of the military forces simply can't afford to feed their families. Yeah, I know, they shouldn't have had kids in the first place on their crappy salaries. But they did. Now they need food stamps to feed those wives and kids while they're overseas fighting or even still in-country. Are they to be shamed for receiving benefits? Should we tell men and women who are defending the United States they can't buy potato chips with their benefits because they don't deserve them in the first place?

Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
All services should be privatized and available on the free market.
I don't think that will ever happen here. If you truly want to live that way, you should consider leaving your blue state with all of its clean air, clean water, safe food, public transportation, standards of medical care, paved highways, and other government programs that you benefit from and go somewhere that has none of that. Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
There are also food stamp (i.e. SNAP) recipients that are families and members of the United States military. A lot of the lower ranking members of the military forces simply can't afford to feed their families. Yeah, I know, they shouldn't have had kids in the first place on their crappy salaries. But they did. Now they need food stamps to feed those wives and kids while they're overseas fighting or even still in-country. Are they to be shamed for receiving benefits? Should we tell men and women who are defending the United States they can't buy potato chips with their benefits because they don't deserve them in the first place?
Did you really go there?

Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Where did I ever say that those with disabilities, illness, or living in poverty should not have a helping hand? There's a big difference between that and defending someone on welfare who buys a $1000 TV and then complains that taxpayers aren't giving her enough to feed her family.

That's one of my biggest issues with liberals. As soon as a reasonable person suggests some guidelines suggesting funds should be provided to pay for healthy food, they resort to the "so you want people to starve" line. Always going to false extremes to try to make a point, which then loses any semblance of credulity.
You are stereotyping and you want everyone to pay a price by being shamed for the small percentage that does manage to game the system. That is truly crazy.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:31 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You implied I would be just fine with people starving to death. Those aren't fighting words?

How would my ideal guideline that food stamps be applied only to inexpensive meat, seafood, chicken, dairy, eggs, veggies, fruits, and bread translate to my being fine with people starving to death?

So many of you liberals make unfair and untrue accusations (i.e., we're "racist" if we oppose illegal immigration) that it's impossible to carry on a mature debate.
With all due respect, you are doing exactly what you are accusing others of doing.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:31 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Did you really go there?
How is it "going there" to point out that military families participate in these programs that many conservatives are sure are really only for freeloaders?

Should they be allowed to get their groceries delivered? What if they want ring-dings for their kid, is that okay?

Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Ironically one of my biggest issues with the extreme right is their hypocrisy (claim to be religious and constantly claim that libs are attacking the religion that they don't practice) and their inability to see complexities and gray areas, rather than all or nothing.

You are bringing one example you know of to paint an entire group of people as freeloaders.
A) you're implying that I'm Christian. Wrong. (Talk about painting an entire group of people with a stereotype.)

B) where did I paint an entire group of people as freeloaders? I criticized the IRRESPONSIBLE woman on food stamps who bought a $1000 TV and then complained that other people weren't giving her enough food stamp money.

What I see is that, to some liberals, we are never allowed to criticize the behavior of a poor person (or a Muslim, for that matter).

Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Any healthy and able person with any kind of transportation to a grocery store and a schedule that allows them to go in person, but still orders delivered groceries is the scum of the earth.

Rich or poor, I don't care. The supreme laziness and waste is absolutely revolting.

Ffs...at this rate, Wall-E will be a reality within 20 years.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is who should be getting most of the assistance but they often get minimal amounts and they don't like to complain.

Single parent families get disproportionate amounts of food assistance often getting layered programs for their kids. I can't imagine they won't expect these delivery fees, if they even exist for this population, to be subsidized by someone. If companies do it for free, they will raise prices for those of us who pay for our own food, or just raise our delivery fees.
It appears that you are struggling to make this idea look totally awful. Now you created this strawman in which stores are going to offer SNAP recipients free delivery and you will somehow end up paying for it. Nowhere is free delivery mentioned, If the recipient can't pay for delivery they can't utilize the service, how hard is that to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies