Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 12:23 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,469,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Well you're using "my money" every time you go to the library or drive on a public road or send your child to school. Maybe I don't like where you're driving to. Or what books you take out. Or maybe, since I homeschool, I don't want to pay for your child to go to public school. I bet you spend money on all sorts of garbage I don't approve of. Submit your invoices so we can all decide what you should be putting "our" money toward instead.

As for the interview, it sounds a lot like this satire piece that made the rounds in conservative circles. My octogenarian grandfather regularly sends me this type of stuff. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pu...sing-grousing/
No, I'm paying taxes - and a LOT of them - to support the library, and the roads, and send children to school. (Why do you assume I have a schoolchild? I don't.)

And the interview wasn't satire. It was the truth. (Just because a story is revealed about how a welfare mother uses money irresponsibly, you chalk it up to a "satire." Figures.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I did not think you were Christian. I stated "Judeo-Christian," as altruism is also one of the principal tenets of Judaism.

Criticize whomever you wish--just expect a reaction or discussion about it. That's the way it works.
Yes, altruism is a key tenet of Judaism. That's why I give generously to tzedakah and support government assistance programs that help the truly needy. But it is more of a mitzah to help people move into self-supporting positions, which is why I favor educational assistance and personally volunteer my time to teach immigrants English.

And of course I expected a discussion about it. That's why I've been on this thread, participating. I object, though, when people accuse me of hating "poor people" because I think food stamps should be applied only to healthy food.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Which comes as a great relief to those of us who are.
What are you saying? That you are Muslim and are relieved that nobody is allowed to criticize your behavior because you are Muslim? That doesn't even make sense.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Which comes as a great relief to those of us who are.
Oh wait, never mind. It was an insult because I'm not acting "Christian" since I don't think a welfare recipient should throw money out on a $1000 TV and then complain that Americans aren't giving her enough in food stamps to feed her kids.

You must be one of those rare liberal Christians.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:37 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,102,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
That's bull. We give it to wars, we give it to the Trump family. Stop giving it to the military and the president's family, and give people food assistance.

If you don't want to pay any taxes--you could always move to Bermuda, Bahamas, Monaco or the UAE. But you will have to ditch the American citizenship, as you have to pay taxes to the US no matter where you live or make the money. If people want a cause how about that double taxation issue?
You must be new here.

I've mentioned many times how the US is one of only two countries which taxes its citizens who live abroad, and how it costs $2500 to give up citizenship.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:38 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,023,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Historically, poor people live in food deserts, so buying proper groceries with no/public transportation has always been a huge problem. I am happy to see them have the ability to buy proper more nutritious food and have it delivered, versus sending the kids to the minimart on the corner day in and day out for nothing but crap. It’s a good move.

They won't. People will just have their hungry man tv dinners delivered now.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I don't think that will ever happen here. If you truly want to live that way, you should consider leaving your blue state with all of its clean air, clean water, safe food, public transportation, standards of medical care, paved highways, and other government programs that you benefit from and go somewhere that has none of that. Let us know how it goes.
All of those can and do exist without government force.

The only reason the government provides those services is because they make competition illegal.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why do you blame liberals for something Donald Trumps government did? If you supported Trump, then you need to own these kinds of things. Don't you think its rich you'd support someone, and when that person does the opposite of what you wanted, you try to frame someone else for it?
Trump is a liberal. And I can't stand Trump or any other politician.

Funny--I get called a leftist liberal, a right-winger, and a Trump supporter all in the same thread.

I must be doing something right.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:03 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,587,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Any healthy and able person with any kind of transportation to a grocery store and a schedule that allows them to go in person, but still orders delivered groceries is the scum of the earth.

Rich or poor, I don't care. The supreme laziness and waste is absolutely revolting.

Ffs...at this rate, Wall-E will be a reality within 20 years.
Sheesh I wonder what you think of all of the online restaurant delivery services like UberEats and Doordash !

Old 04-19-2019, 01:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,516,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Sheesh I wonder what you think of all of the online restaurant delivery services like UberEats and Doordash !
Good point. Or even just regular restaurants that deliver, such as pizza. There's a delivery charge right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies