Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberals: Would you rather be stuck on an island with illegals or Trump supporters?
Illegals 101 80.16%
Trumpers 25 19.84%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:43 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We do welcome them to change and stop being deplorable...tho. So never let it be said that full forgiveness and acceptance isn't waiting right around the corner.

That's one big problem here. A decent and intelligent human being can admit they are/were wrong. I have seen quite a few "conservatives" right here on C-D admit they were...about Don the Con and his merry crew of Swamp Things. They may still vote for him...or support him, but in their hearts they know they were wrong about the overall picture.

That defines intelligence - the ability to learn from life and from mistakes. I'd go to said Island with that type of people.

Given the choice I'd probably pick Brits above all, tho. Put them anywhere and civilization will likely continue. Within a year we'd have a strong army, soccer pitches and beautiful gardens.
A Democrat is someone who respects another's opinion even if it doesn't match their own. You've changed it to we only will accept you if you think like us. That's why our party is in the mess it is and many of us are walking away - it's not about Trump anymore - it's about changing the whole idea of what being a Democrat means.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:47 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Hyphen usage. Please, my goodness. Don't talk about others' English skills and then not use it correctly yourself.
I don't think my usage falls outside of the convention, although it isn't necessary. The purpose of a hyphen is to join words where the meaning of the words combine as a single idea, although it is generally only necessary if the words would be confused otherwise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen

https://www.apastyle.org/learn/faqs/when-use-hyphen

So load-bearing is correct, because load and bearing could be confused if not combined with a hyphen. Whereas vast-majority would be unnecessary since vast majority would never be confused.

I have a tendency to write as I speak. And since vast-majority is a single idea in my head, I often write it as the compound word it is. I also have a tendency to place commas far too often as I'm writing. A comma is a "pause", and so every time I make a pause, either while writing or while speaking(I read what I say out loud in my head), I drop a comma.

Quote:
You are mistaken about whether people here illegally speak English. New arrivals often do not, but as time goes by, most do. And those brought here as children (or born here to illegal immigrant parents) do speak English, often without an accent.
I'll agree on your last point. The "Dreamers" generally speak English, and they are technically illegal-immigrants. And since they often go to school with American kids, many liberals likely have come into contact with a "dreamer"(though I really hate that word).

But when most people think of illegals, they're not thinking of children brought here twenty years ago. They're thinking of the caravans that are coming, and will continue to come, unless something is done to stop the flood.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:52 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
It's hard to take that some 83 percent of Americans hate you Trump supporters, huh? And this on a board that skews heavily toward Trump, as evidenced by the front page of P&OC. This does not bode well for Trump in 2020.

But I'm loving all the butthurt that is on full display by the Trump supporters. It's like they had no idea how the rest of the world loathes them.

No one wants to hang with you guys. SAD!!!!
83% of Americans? Come on! I don’t think any of us on City-Data are representative of America as a whole. The poll asked for “liberals” to weigh in, not conservatives. I see some conservatives did weigh in anyway, but whatever. I personally think it’s funny, and completely unsurprising.

I also think it’s a great idea. Where is this island, and how do we get these people to go there? I’m all for it.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:59 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I don't think my usage falls outside of the convention, although it isn't necessary. The purpose of a hyphen is to join words where the meaning of the words combine as a single idea, although it is generally only necessary if the words would be confused otherwise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen

https://www.apastyle.org/learn/faqs/when-use-hyphen

So load-bearing is correct, because load and bearing could be confused if not combined with a hyphen. Whereas vast-majority would be unnecessary since vast majority would never be confused.

I have a tendency to write as I speak. And since vast-majority is a single idea in my head, I often write it as the compound word it is. I also have a tendency to place commas far too often as I'm writing. A comma is a "pause", and so every time I make a pause, either while writing or while speaking(I read what I say out loud in my head), I drop a comma.

I'll agree on your last point. The "Dreamers" generally speak English, and they are technically illegal-immigrants. And since they often go to school with American kids, many liberals likely have come into contact with a "dreamer"(though I really hate that word).

But when most people think of illegals, they're not thinking of children brought here twenty years ago. They're thinking of the caravans that are coming, and will continue to come, unless something is done to stop the flood.
I'm a professional editor and I know how to use hyphens. Vast-majority is not a compound word; it's the misuse of a hyphen. As is illegal-immigrant. It's just an adjective and a noun. It would be like me telling you about my red-apple or my big-car. And that's not how commas are used. I'll let it go because that's not what this thread is about. It annoys me when someone chronically misuses the English language and then complains that others don't speak proper English, but I digress.

The bolded is my whole point. People have incorrect assumptions about what illegal immigrants are. You're insisting that "liberals don't know any illegal immigrants" when, in fact, it's very likely that they do and that they interact with them regularly.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
I'm a professional editor and I know how to use hyphens. Vast-majority is not a compound word; it's the misuse of a hyphen. As is illegal-immigrant. It's just an adjective and a noun. It would be like me telling you about my red-apple or my big-car. And that's not how commas are used. I'll let it go because that's not what this thread is about. It annoys me when someone chronically misuses the English language and then complains that others don't speak proper English, but I digress.
Well "vast" is an adjective, but I don't think I would class it the same way as a color like "red". Vast-majority feels like a compound word, does it not? Maybe it is because I pronounce it as a single word.

I do think it is a bit ironic that you mention "illegal-immigrant", since it feels like almost everyone writes it that way?

With that said, I have never cared whatsoever about people's grammar as long as they can be understood. The point of language is not to obey countless rules(of which English has so many exceptions), but to be able to communicate with each other. I think "illegal-immigrant" is just as intuitive, if not more intuitive as "illegal immigrant".

My complaint in regards to English, is not that illegal-immigrants aren't dotting their I's and crossing their T's, it is that we can't talk to each other. Verbal-communication rarely obeys grammar rules.

Quote:
The bolded is my whole point. People have incorrect assumptions about what illegal immigrants are. You're insisting that "liberals don't know any illegal immigrants" when, in fact, it's very likely that they do and that they interact with them regularly.
I think the spirit of what I said still holds true. The vast-majority(I refuse to change) of liberals don't live anywhere close to where illegals live. And they don't want to live there. If they come into contact with illegals at all, it is rarely as friends. Usually it is business-related, or going to lunch at the taco-truck.

Liberals want to believe they like everyone. But if they actually had to live around illegals, or Muslims, or whatever other protected-class of people they are pretending to care about this week, they would hate it.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:44 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I can think of a lot more things to entertain myself then attacking half of my fellow citizens.
Maybe you ought to be doing them. You don’t seem to be a happy person, at least not here, doing this.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
If I were a true liberal, I would be just fine being stuck on an island with both, because we are supposed to be accepting of everybody.
Actually, no we aren't supposed to be accepting of illegal aliens.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Actually, no we aren't supposed to be accepting of illegal aliens.
Well, as some would say:

A) No human is illegal
B) The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Old 04-20-2019, 01:26 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Well, as some would say:

A) No human is illegal
B) The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.
Leviticus 19:34

What would Jesus say about these uncharitable and definitely unchristian views about neighbors in need?

Old 04-20-2019, 01:29 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
I don't know about stranded on an island, but when the SHTF, I want to be standing next to the woman who was 8 months pregnant and climbed over the wall with her 2 y/o and husband in tow, and the guy in France who climbed up the outside of the apartment building to rescue that little boy.

Many immigrants, whatever their legal status, have some get up and go.

Whereas most Trump fans seem to be whiners, and liars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies