Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 04:46 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I don't know if its more crazy than stupid or more stupid than crazy. Disney and Warner Bros. did some even more racist work at that time so why aren't they being boycotted?

Exactly. Why isn't everything Disney being boycotted from the theme parks to the upcoming Star Wars movie?

The thing is with the SJW's they have free rein to take on and destroy who they want.

I wonder what is going to happen to George Washington and everything that is named after him when they figure out that he once owned slaves?

Will they cover his face on Mount Rushmore to hide the shame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 04:47 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yea it is garbage. Back then white people actually did work in the fields. That was before many Americans, of all groups became soft. That's what relying on handouts does.

Plus why is she talking about white people not being able to sing when she can and she's white? You don't think she was black and passed herself off for white do you? That usually doesn't happen unless you're in the NAACP.
The lyrics are obviously from a black slave's point of view, like a song they might have sung while working in the fields. And in any case Smith didn't write them.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:02 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Considering that Paul Robeson also recorded this song, I think some very important context is missing from this story.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This was way past the pre-Civil War era. Those lyrics are atrocious.
Sure they are but that doesn't address what I said. Did I defend the lyrics? No.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:04 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
That’s exactly what I said today when I heard it. Wow, PC run amok. When will this insanity end? Your link didn’t work btw.

https://www.courierpostonline.com/st...cs/3518478002/
It ends when the left grinds you & your family & your history into dust. That's how they roll.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:05 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Seriously, while there are legit criticisms of one's past actions, sometimes people are way too easily offended.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:08 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Nasty little song with its ugly lyrics. The words make my soul cringe, but as I have repeatedly said, I hate when people of another era are judged by the cultural rules of today. It is not fair. It was a hit, it ranked #12 in 1931. Are we going to hunt up the names of everyone who purchased the song and label them racists? Kate Smith would have never sung that song today.

"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." - Maya Angelou

Old 04-19-2019, 06:15 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
We Dems are being represented by some radical loonies lately. You can't judge someone's past by today's standards. Actually, both parties are extreme and those of us in the middle are left out.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:33 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I don't know if its more crazy than stupid or more stupid than crazy. Disney and Warner Bros. did some even more racist work at that time so why aren't they being boycotted?
Disney and Henry Ford were hardcore anti-Semites. Ford provided millions in funding to spread propaganda against Jews and Disney was infamous for discrimination against them in employment with his company. So many of our "heroes" of the past have been shown to have feet of clay, when their lives have been given a close inspection.

Idealists of today have to face the reality of our ugly past attitudes. We have to learn from these bad past examples and push on to be better. But even though I was always repulsed by Kate Smith, I'm not a proponent of dragging people from their graves and flogging them in public, to make points in current political correctness. We have enough bad actors on the public stage today, we should deal with them first, before looking to the past for people to discredit.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:40 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Nasty little song with its ugly lyrics. The words make my soul cringe...
Did you listen to the whole song and read all the lyrics? It's supposed to bring to mind a slave or Jim Crow era black man who sees the world and his lot in it as unjust, but carries on the best he can and tries to take pride in what he does. Is that really so bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_11Fb01Ujw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies