Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:08 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Dopes won’t stop until everyone is as miserable as they are. Yes, some of these people are so miserable that a lady who was born in 1907 offended them because of ONE controversial song.

It seems like Kate Smith was a gentle lady who inspired a whole generation of people who needed a boost in their national & City morale. To those who support such irrational behavior all I can do is to pray for you per chance you will see all the disorder you are creating.
The multi-talented black civil rights activist Paul Robeson recorded and performed at least one of the racist songs Kate Smith is being vilified for. We have libraries, cultural centers, schools, statues, etc. honoring him, as he deserves. Tarnishing her reputation for songs recorded 80-90 years ago is a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 12:14 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,954,329 times
This is a hypothetical question. I don't even know what things you refer to and neither do you.How can you say people will object to them? It's nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I never said everyone was. That doesn't address what I said. There will be things we do today that people in the future deem wrong. Why do we as a society not know better now?

Old 04-20-2019, 12:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Whether the song was or wasn't offensive at that time, really isn't the issue. The issue is, some white SJW's (I'm assuming) are now insisting an American icon be removed from existence because she sang said song.

What next, Mark Twain? Al Jolson? All artists categorized in the genre of blue-eyed soul because of cultural appropriation? Where does it end?

This is all subtle deconstruction of American culture. No agenda there by the loony libs.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My ancestry is German, Irish and Bohemian.

There were times growing up, especially when discussing the horrors or Nazi Germany, that I wanted to hide.

And then there were times, when the poor and whisky drinking Irish were discussed, that I wanted to hide.

My dad often, in a joking manner, chided my mom for the Bohemian side of her family. We'd all grin in anticipation of what Mom's comeback would be. Years later my first boss made a tasteless comment about Bohemians while we were having coffee one morning. It didn't bother me, especially since I'd grown up hearing my dad joking with my mom about Bohemians, but I replied, "Heyyyy, I'm part Bohemian!" My boss' apologetic words and obvious embarrassment proved his comments weren't simply light-hearted joking around. He wanted to hide!

Now, at age 73, I learn about all the "horrible" things we did 50-60 years ago and I'm embarrassed again. When I was growing up, my parents were quick to speak up for the poor, especially for poor blacks. They were the most un-racist people I knew. But if I were to use some of their language in this post, I'd probably be banned for racial slurs.

Things do change over the decades, and words that were once acceptable are not today. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn were required reading when I was in school. Now those books are banned. We like to change what was acceptable, then condemn it, then hide it so we can forget it was once the norm. Samuel Clemens, AKA Mark Twain, was not a racist, and Kate Smith wasn't being racist when she sang those songs 70, 80, 90 years ago.

I've got no problem with changing our viewpoints on how we feel about certain terms and sentiments. We should, but when we do that, let's not judge people from years ago based on our new viewpoints.

It seems we're not the loving, accepting people of Kate Smith's era, and that's not Kate Smith's fault. It's ours.

Some who read this will strongly disagree. You know what? That's okay too. Opinions are like snowflakes. Peace out.

On my Irish side, the problem with the constantly bent elbow stopped with my generation. I never want to hide. I don't quite understand why anyone would.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:25 PM

17,530 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Total and utter over the top over reaction PC BULL****!!!!

It was a movie in the 30's for God sake. THINGS WERE DIFFERENT THEN!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, time to move on

I'm gonna go play my old Al Jolson and Kate Smith CDs

Old 04-20-2019, 12:42 PM

17,530 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Not many people under 60 even know who she was. The vast majority of people could care less. Other more relevant singers to sign our national songs
Mikey tosses the red bull crap flag!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zF7a0wB-Lg

Old 04-20-2019, 12:49 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
This is a hypothetical question. I don't even know what things you refer to and neither do you.How can you say people will object to them? It's nonsense.
It's never failed. You can watch many things from as recent as the 70's that wouldn't go today and you can probably pretty easily find things as recent as the 90's.

In the 18th Century we were no longer burning witches. Things change as time moves on.

Why did people in the 60's not realize that a Maltese Cross would no longer be cool in pop culture today?

Old 04-20-2019, 12:54 PM

Even the Gilmore Girls wouldn't pass the litmus test of these misguided SJW's.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:59 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Even the Gilmore Girls wouldn't pass the litmus test of these misguided SJW's.
A lot of things we did in the past shouldn't pass muster today.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:29 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,393 times
Default Kate Smith God Bless America singer now getting "the treatment"

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/phila...r-racist-songs

What this country and society in general needs is another black (OOPS!!..is that racist) plague or flu epidemic to give idiots something to really worry about and/or occupy their small minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies